Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

i really liked that one joke that will made about astrid being a "freelance doctor." just wondering if episode 3 will have any sarcastic or funny remarks in dialogue? or will it be really serious like the dialogue with grey mother and methusela?

before i die from hypothermia i hope i can die laughing too xD---and if there isn't i guess i'll just have to keep laughing at "can you eat trees?" lolll gets me every time!

another question, any plans on giving the ability to hang the bow kinda like you can with the rifle? not a big deal just wondering :)

Edited by thepatsbro
  • Upvote 2

All of the clocks are frozen at 3:38, presumably the time the geomagnetic event occurred. Every time I see one of the clocks in The Long Dark, I wonder... does this specific time hold a certain significance for you? I have many guesses as to what it might be, but they are probably all wrong. 

I've never seen this asked before, but I've always been curious. Thanks for creating my favorite game of all time!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Hello again, I have recently started to read a bunch of Gary Paulsen books on his stories of experiences with surviving in the wilderness... 

I bet you are extremely busy with everything on the go but I am truely wondering if you have ever enjoyed one of his books?

Currently I'm reading Brian's Winter and the vibe and overall setting has that Long Dark feel.

I really hope all you survivors consider looking into his books if you haven't already! 

I suggest Hatchet and/or the rest of the Brian series.

Guts and Woodsong are other great ones, telling of true events that helped shaped his fictional survival stories about Brian.

Could possibly spark some more ideas for this absolutely legendary game!

Stay warm and safe out there:fire:

20190917_215936.jpg

• Upvote 1

How does a typical game development day look like in Hinterland Studio? I understand the answer differs from person to person or from position to position, so would be great to get a little glimpse for multiple areas ("Day in the life of environmental artist", "Day in the life of programmer" etc.)

I loved the recent documentary with Raphael, I really hope you guys will release some Behind the scenes documentary once Season 1 is done - this must have been an epic journey for the studio!

• Upvote 1

I was wondering the specifics of the pacifist achievement? I tried to get it in stalker mode, made it to 25 days without killing anything and did not receive the achievement. I'd only used a heavy hammer in struggles. I was trying to look up whether or not wolf struggles count against the achievement, but found a lot of conflicting information.

So: can you still get the pacifist achievement with wolf struggles?

I am curious about your thoughts on the recent France vs. Valve court ruling, if you are able and willing to share your thoughts on it. 
For independent studios, even small indie studios with outside publishers, I feel like resale of a digital licence for a game (we bought a licence, not a game- like we would with a physical copy(?)), purchased on any launcher or storefront, could seriously hurt independent and indie devs. AAA games/studios/publishers would also be affected, but to a much lesser degree, financially, at least, I think.Valve says they are going to fight the ruling, rather than just pay the relatively small (to them) fines. I *think* I understand the reasons for this, but not being part of the industry, I am not sure how to view this whole mess. I understand that for legal reasons you may not be able to comment just now, but again, if you can, I'd love to know your thoughts on the situation.

• Upvote 1

Hello in the future will DLC be available in survival mode to build and crafts more things. Like taking an already built structure and covering Windows and fixing things. To mentiona few. And will co-op be added as well? The long dark is an awesome but after a over a year playing it goes in repetition and boring. What will hinterland do to keep it's fans/customers interested?

Hello!

After playing more than hundred hours with this amazing game,  i have only two questions (for the first post in this community) :

1/ Many plants are present but only cat tail bring calories. It is possible to survive more than 100 days with only meat nutrition?  I don't know but i'm afraid about scurvy 

2/ We can place few equipments on environment but maybe it will be interesting to able to move some box or locker, outside for example (to preserve fresh meat  :D). What do you think about this?

DarkyHutch

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Hello! 

My question if for you as a writer. 

We know that the darkness of the world contributes a lot to the feel of the game both in theme and environmentally. But, just how dark are you willing to go with your story? I know you've mentioned that you have certain restrictions when it comes to the content you can include, but I do often wonder how deep into the dark depths of the human psyche you're willing to show us in the rest of Wintermute, survival mode, and beyond

Thanks for this amazing game. It's been a big part of my life, and I wish all of you at Hinterland well

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

If any of the triple A companies offered to send someone to you guys or offered to have one of you come to their studios who would be your top picks? I ask this because i noticed a response to a question you guys mention the jury rig perk of fallout using a lesser version of an item to repair another as a concept you might do.

would like to hear who you guys would pick.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:30 PM, JeremiahJohnson said:

Hello again, I have recently started to read a bunch of Gary Paulsen books on his stories of experiences with surviving in the wilderness... 

I bet you are extremely busy with everything on the go but I am truely wondering if you have ever enjoyed one of his books?

Currently I'm reading Brian's Winter and the vibe and overall setting has that Long Dark feel.

I really hope all you survivors consider looking into his books if you haven't already! 

I suggest Hatchet and/or the rest of the Brian series.

Guts and Woodsong are other great ones, telling of true events that helped shaped his fictional survival stories about Brian.

Could possibly spark some more ideas for this absolutely legendary game!

Stay warm and safe out there:fire:

Hell yes! I read all the Hatchet books as a kid, and it's the reason I was so interested in giving this game a shot in the first place. See my avatar for proof 😂:hatchet:

Edited by devamadhu
typo
  • Like 1

So coming across from  the discussion of irritants - mine and a question/request I'd be interested to hear your views on.

It's  when you are engaged in an automated activity like chopping wood or harvesting a carcass and get attacked by a wolf or a bear.  I looked around a bit before I started, and couldn't see anything.  I'd like to think I'd have half an eye out and would notice a bear coming up when I'm swinging a hatchet.  But I get mauled.  

It's most annoying because as a player I have no opportunity to save myself - chopping and harvesting are 'passive tasks'.  I'm not in control of my own destiny here.  It feels like it's not about the way I play, but a random bit of luck.  And yes, I know you can light a fire to scare animals away - but I don't feel I should have to  - I  should be able to stop, get ready to fight, or even run away if I wanted.

And to add insult to injury, because the action wasn't completed, the game doesn't take account of how far through I was - so I'm back to chopping or harvesting from the beginning.  And with the time lost, the weather is changing...  

So, any chance of adding a 'something's coming' break option during passive tasks?  And of not losing all your progress when interrupted?

Keep Warm and Stay Cool

• Upvote 1

hello. on yuotube there is a video on Your game and I wanted to ask, do You plan to shoot a full movie for the game(or to sponsor his shooting)? I think not only I would love to see that movie or several parts, because all the episodes haven't come out and lay the whole story in one movie would be difficult.

First, love this game and Hinterland's commitment to thoughtful design, player choice and risk vs. reward. TLD is definitely up there on my best games of all time, and one I keep coming back to.

My question is around ruined meat. I don't personally remember, but another player recently told me that raw meat used to disappear at 0% condition, instead of sticking around like it does now. Is it true that ruined meat used to disappear, and if so, is the current behavior a deliberate design choice or a knock-on effect from a change to another system? Do you have plans to tweak this in the future?

Thanks!

Edited by rakshasa
edited for clarity

Could devs create pinned thread in wishlist section confirming what ideas can possibly be integrated into a game (eventually what is considered by devs as possible implementation)? It would prevent suggesting same ideas again and again.

You know there are excellent ideas, very possble to integrate wihout much coding problems.

Edited by Moll
  • Like 1

I started out as (and still am) a tabletop RPG player and came to video games relatively late in life. The Long Dark is on a very short list of video games I play over and over again. Have you ever considered working with a tabletop company to make a Long Dark pen-and-paper game?

If you were going to pick an existing tabletop system to use as a starting point for a Long Dark pen-and-paper game which one would you pick?

Thanks for crafting such a unique experience!

• Upvote 1