Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

First off I just have to say (as an interloper/stalker players) I love the Revolver! You did a great job finding that right balance (in my opinion) for where it fits within the weapons already existing, so thanks! Loving it!...

My question is whether or not you plan to add a Fuel management system. For example allowing us to actually have Jerry Can's empty and allowing us to pour lantern fuel from one to another. I know it doesn't add weight currently but I think aesthetically it would look a lot better to carry 1 Jerry can with 4L of fuel instead of 3 Jerry Cans and 4 little bottles all semi full lol.  Can I hope for any such update/tweak? haha.  Thanks! 

Hi Raph,

First off, I just wanted to thank, you and Hinterland, for having such a great support and bug reporting system. It's so nice to know that if I do encounter a bug or issue in the game your team takes the time and effort to personally reply and tries super hard to solve the issue. It makes me, as a user of your product, feel as if my experience playing The Long Dark matters to you and your team, and that you genuinely care about making a great game. I wish more gaming companies would be as helpful as Hinterland is when it comes to creating a game. Please tell the support team I said thank you for all their hard work.

Secondly, I wanted to ask if you have ever consider implementing being able to sit down on certain chairs instead of just crouching of standing while you research a book or mend a jacket to make the game and the world feel more immersive? 

Anyway, thank you for your time and an amazing game. 

You're all awesome. 

Edited by AstraRune
  • Upvote 2

Dear Raph,  

Have been playing the game since 2017 and I love the sudden moments of scoring and soundtrack that pop in now and again but for some reason I haven’t heard the soundtrack in forever.  This isn’t technically a bug or game breaking issue but I know that I have music turned on and up so my question is... is there a chance you could add a dial for the frequency of music pop ins.  Thanks in advance

• Upvote 1

Hello.

Is there a possibility that in the future the sandbox mode saved games will be deleted because of new updates and such? And if so will we be announced before it does so we can complete what we got going on?

Thank you.

Hi,

What is the point of having food degrade if you can just eat 0% food once you have level 5 cooking?

Are you ever going to change level 5 cooking to something slightly more realistic other than being able to eat 2 year old rotten meat with no repercussions?

Thanks

• Upvote 3

Hi! Have you ever think to create in-game challange editor? There are only six basic challenges and completing of it make a few days. Creating the new challanges and playing on it can give old survariors, that play over few hundreds of hours a new experience.

Edited by alex_p
  • Upvote 2

Hi!

I know that mental health gestion was something in sight for the team at some point and the subject has make some back in forth in various discussion. Is that something you are still considering? If yes, is there have been any concrete progress (a yes or no is what I expected to get, not a detailed listing of what is accomplished) in that direction or it is still a wish?

Thanks!

Would it be possible to add second, alternative key shortcuts? So we can set both W or UpArrow for walk, LMB or SPACE for interaction key etc.

My poor mouse, I would love to use ie SPACE for struggles (but keep LMB for other actions) to give it some rest :)

Hi! again! I'm wondering if we can have an option to take our own lives with the revolver. 

As an example you're bleeding and nearly freezing, you suffer too much pain. You have nothing to eat, your shelter is far far away and you got the only thing with you. The revolver. A simple bullet to take all pain away. Let us die in peace, without suffering.

Please refrain from responding to other people's questions in this thread. This is only for questions for The Long Dark Creative Director @Raphael van Lierop

If you know that a question has already been answered then it is alright to link to the previous answer, but if someone has a question that hasn't been previously dealt with let's leave it alone. Even if you know for 100% the answer or why it couldn't work.

We want to keep this thread quick and easy for Raph to get questions from and not fill it up with debate, discussion or worse. 

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Any chance of having more variety in the frozen corpses? I know this is grim, but most of the frozen corpses I find in game seem well clothed. Shouldn't their lack of protection be evident? How did they die if not from a  lack of protection from the elements? If it was starvation, then I certainly shouldn't find cans of food near them.  It makes sense in the wild (poor lad was pushing himself too far). And why no female corpses? There is a million ways and a million reasons someone can "fade into the Long Dark"... Can't you get your artists to make a few more corpses that tell stories about the frozen bodies we find in game?

I checked the question index, and did not see this asked yet (though I may have missed it... the list is getting loooooooooong!), so here goes:

In a thread on the Steam forums, a well known Interloper player says he had an improvised hatchet break (ruined) at 27%.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/1640912849397428149/

I remember having prybars break in the past at ~10% or so, making the locker or car trunk you were trying to open break as well. You could not attempt to pry it open ever again. I can't recall having any tool break at ~25% or above, though, after many, many Survival Mode games,, it may have happened and been forgotten already.

So the question is: Do all tools, store-bought and improvised have a breaking threshold, that when reached, initiates an RNG dice roll to determine if the tool beaks or not during use? If so, is the threshold different for each tool? Higher point for improvised tools, than the store-bought equivalent? No need for actual numbers, that can be set aside for an interesting Science experiment done by players, if it has not already been done.  :)

On 5/24/2019 at 5:55 PM, Ghosty 1944 said:

Something that I am not sure about is that is it just great bear that is seeing the Aurora or is it all over the world? I always assumed that when the Aurora first happened the world went into below zero temperatures. I assume the whole world because the world was already getting super cold before winter. Will:"I don't remember needing my parka this earlier."

So is it just a harsh and early winter on the island of Great Bear or is this how the world ends...

P.S idk where else to put this but who is the girl in the server room in the redux trailer? Maybe the person the trapper sent you to message?

So I stopped and took the time to check out the gravestones outside the church, and I noticed that all of the named graves were for people who had died very young.  The oldest was just 25, two were 17, and Lily was just 16.  Is there some plot significance to the fact that all the graves are of people who died young?

• Upvote 1

Hey Raph, couple of console questions, the second of which is much briefer than the first:

I've asked before if you thought the console versions of TLD would ever have markedly improved framerates compared to the 30ish they're at now, to which you said no (or at least that it was unlikely) - are you able to expand on that a little? In other words: if not, why not? Are the consoles simply too old now? Is it the engine? Would you have to sacrifice too much re: visuals for it to run/"feel" smoother? I realise it's probably some combination of those (and other) things; I was just wondering if there was one reason that stood out above the others.

Secondly, with PS5/Nextbox "coming soon" - well, probably in the next 18-24 months - do you see yourselves releasing and supporting TLD on the next generation of consoles, or do you think Hinterland will be focused on a new title by then?

Hey!

First off, thank you for creating such an awesome game!
Secondly: All clocks I came across so far show 03:38 - is this intentional and the time the first solar storm hit earth, or is that just a random time?

tld-clock.jpg

Edited by jeinzi
Changed image
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Hi!

I would like to know if it is possible to have some sort of guide or thorough explanation of each parameters in custom difficulty and how it affect the game specifically when going from a low to high setting for a given parameters. I actually really, really love the custom difficulty, but some parameters how somewhat still vague and how to figure how they interact with the game.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1