Admin

Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

On 1/23/2019 at 2:17 PM, NardoLoopa said:

Could you describe the motivations for changing the HUD recently?  While the old HUD was more intuitive (your hunger is represented by an emptying stomach; thermometer drops as you get colder) the new HUD is more explicit (here is a status bar near a stomach icon; its length indicates how hungry you are).  The former was more approximate (is the stomach 1/4 full? or 1/3 full, I can't tell), and the latter is more specific (stomach circle is at 9 o'clock, so 1/4 full).  The former was also idiosyncratically TLD, while the latter hues to common video game UI tropes (e.g. RDR2).

I'll admit, originally I felt you moved my cheese!  But I gave it a chance, and over the last month I've come to be neutral to the change -- though I still think the old HUD was a better way of presenting this information and aesthetically a better choice for TLD.  Did the HL team feel the old HUD was confusing?

BTW: thank you for keeping the 'contextual' option.

I feel the same, and this is exactly what I wanted to ask as well. 

Cheers, Rick

21 minutes ago, Morrick said:

I feel the same, and this is exactly what I wanted to ask as well. 

Nothing like reading yourself quoted to highlight unfortunate grammar-typos:  hews.

4 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

Nothing like reading yourself quoted to highlight unfortunate grammar-typos:  hews.

If you want to go back and edit, I can then re-quote you. Peace of mind must come first! ;)

When TLD is finished ... is there a chance that new regions might still be added via paid addons and/or mods?

Edited to add: I strongly dislike mods for TLD. Though I have no problem with modding games in general, I feel that TLD is best in its original version. The only thing that might change my mind would be ... new regions ;) But I would even prefer to pay, since I know that it is so worth it.

Edited by melcantspell

This might very well be a kind of question you don't want to answer, but here goes: In "The Hunted Challenge pt.1" – does the bear spawn and respawn, or does it actually follow you around (except from area transitions)?

• Upvote 1

This may be rather far out, but has there been any thought to a tutorial using a similar model as challenges?

It would be an existing sub-region like Crystal Lake  on Timberwolf or the lake in Mystery Lake, and the player would go through a Survival School squared experience. The tutorial would be reasonably comprehensive and rather restricting. This is not intended to be a free-exploration area but a training ground. 

The in-game journal/diary that the player can use (or not).

1.  Are there any size limitations either for a given entry or for the journal as a whole?

2.  Any intention to modify the UI so that the latest entry can be accessed without having to scroll through the entire journal from the beginning? This might be as minimal as introducing one, two or more locations where the latest day and one or two or more preceeding days could be accessed and reviewed or edited.

3.  Any intention to allow for the journal to be exported to a text file so the player can keep a personal record of what was written during the sandbox run? An extension of this would be to also export the particular sandbox stats as well. 

Edited by UTC-10
A few more words.

Hi Raph! Who is your favourite bear? Don’t pretend like they’re all your children now and you can’t *pick* a favourite? ;)

Edited by Foxo

I have a feeling that you would like the band Fleet Foxes. All of their albums mesh very well with TLD's poetic indie folk aesthetic. Do you like Fleet Foxes? If not, what are some other indie folk acts you enjoy?

I understand from a developer's prospective why there aren't any seasons but in TLD universe, is it permanently winter? or are there normal seasons and it would simply be a pain to make the world in other seasons?

Is Hinterland's logo inspired in any way by the logo of Mozilla Firefox? They seem.... oddly similar. :-D

• Like 1

I'm curious... What kind of field tests have you and the team done to determine the various values that are incorporated in the game's code? For example did you go out to lite a fire and see how much time it took for snow to melt and boil, or go ice fishing to see how often would a fish bite, or how long does it take for a piece of meat to go bad for example. What kind of things do you only research and what kind of things you actually tried. Which are the most memorable experiences?

Also, are you finally going to let us sleep anywhere, even without a bedroll, because it's kind of unfair to die of exhaustion when you've forgotten your sleeping bag, while there are plenty of surfaces to lie down on and take a nap. We will of course be sacrificing the warmth bonus and there must even be a few degrees penalty for lying on a cold surface.

Edited by Mystix
  • Upvote 1

Raph, how stoked are you for "Metro: Exodus"?! And on a completely different side note...What can you tell me about Project: Raindrop and it's connection to The Long Dark?

Edited by Tylor9261
Grammar

I think I remember reading something about this in a former mail bag but I am going to ask it again just in case. 

I love playing TLD,  it’s hands-down one of my favorite games. I do have a problem however with some of the gameplay.  I have brain damage which causes tremors in my hands. Normally this doesn’t bother me and I can play the game just fine, however it makes it nearly impossible to hunt with a bow and arrow or any of the firearms .  Is there a way to make hunting more accessible for people with disabilities?  I understand it might make the game easier for non-disabled players but given how it’s currently made I can’t use the hunting features no matter how much I practice.  I’ve already tried adjusting the mouse sensitivity and that hasn’t helped.

Hi, I remember that, in some version (or maybe in test branch), we were able to take battery from car. Was it a test of something ?, or do you have any plan about car battery ? thanks

The transition area between Mountain Town and Mystery Lake has a part where you overlook what seems to be the other side of the tunnel that takes you out of Milton, possibly the way Astrid went. It has what looks like truck turned over turned. Will this be a new area that can be explored in the future? Maybe the start of episode 3 where Astrid is on the other side of the tunnnel? :)

Some of the players have asked for an official mod support for years.  When do you think it would be released?   

I'm a deaf gamer so I wonder if it's possible to show any subtitle that showed any animal spawn that would make any noises such as footsteps or growling, howling, etc. to be shown in subtitle so that I could stop and pause and consider my options to keep myself alive.  I just do not like any blindside attacks.   If it's possible, make it an option in the menu.  

Perhaps I missed it and if I did, my apologies, however I am curious if there are any plans on updating the Cairns with the stories that so many seem to be missing?

I typically check each one I find in hopes of finding a thoughtful morsel of prose, but so many are still empty and the "story hasn't been told" message isn't very rewarding.  Is this because of programming effort it takes to do so or was it because the backers didn't provide you with any material?    If it was due to lack of material content from the backer(s) and if the backer(s) were amenable to the idea, would you consider some community generated content with which to fill those "empty" cairns?   You could make it contest!

thanks for the consideration

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

yeh great idea, I gather a lot of backers just left?  I'm sure community updates would be a great idea.

First of all: add your question in the main "question thread" for Milton Mailbag since creators most likely won't respond to it in separate thread.

This way we all could get an answer to that question since I also agree that Cairns require something more interesting in them than just generic message. You have a good idea!