Admin

Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

In the film The Hateful Eight, the characters prep for a coming blizzard by rigging up stakes and a line to mark the path between the cabin they're holding out in and a nearby outhouse and barn. Could something like that be implemented in The Long Dark? We can leave markers like stones or used flares, but a taller, more visible object would be useful, especially if it was possible to string line between them. Basically, it's for when I get lost between the camp office or garage and nearby fishing holes in a blizzard or at night...

Also, The Thing has come up in mailbag responses before, but are there any other films that have inspired the game and/or have possible mechanics you'd like to crib?

Edited by Korlis
Amended question

Is there a chance in the future we can have the ability to make notes in our maps? Maybe at expense of another charcoal? After surviving for a while it would be great to leave reminders to yourself (where you left certain items for instance). I know I can write things in my log, but I think it makes sense to do that directly in the map.

Thanks for doing the Milton Mailbag! – And for this great game!!!

In the august dev diary you said, that in episode three we will be "exploring a new region". Will it be a totally new region, that isn't in the game yet, or will it be an existing region, that we haven't yet seen through the eyes of the story mode?

Remember to keep these as questions for @Raphael van Lierop . If you can direct someone to an answer that he's given in a previous mailbag, then please do so. Please however try to avoid answering other people's questions.

I really enjoy the game, but one of the things that has always been off putting in the experience is the random "you've sprained something". I understand that people slip and fall but there are times that it seems the character is actually jonesing for meds rather than actually getting hurt. And then other times when nothing at all happens for long stretches. But, what really is off putting, is the lack of any sort of stumbling/tripping/falling animation. That, ac tually is my main complaint. I don't mind the rest, but at least make some sort of animation where the camera nose plants in the snow and then show the camera looking at the hand or leg that the sprain happened on... and if it happened to two limbs, then pick one. This would resolve a great deal of my angst towards the whole random injury system if it actually showed that you did something to get the injury, not just "ah... oh god, that smarts" with no actual visual trigger. Your wrist just doesn't sprain itself while you're walking along. You hit something, you fell, SOMETHING happened. Is something like this at all forthcoming with the new additions to your development team?

• Upvote 1

1. In the new survival mode game I randomly spawned somewhere in the Great Bear Island, and i'm just curious where is the Will Mackenzie's plane or debris, which should be nearby in this case?
2. Seems you will add a region with a flight strip and planes, so, will we able to fly away from Great Bear Island or Aurora won’t let us go?

I have some questions, something from the point of view of game realism.

My first ’what if’ question. What if camp fire had some degrade time like Snow shelter, and/of could be destroyed. During play many times we use camp fire to warm up carcasses, and with time this camp fires are stay there, or we put down a camp fire start a fire, and bugs. It would be good to handle more flexible the camp fires.

My second what if question is, what if we could open MRE packs like quarter packs ( it would contain a foodpac, tea, coffee, matches, 2 painkiller ). I think the game mechanic of quarter packs could be a good start to develop it. And from the from the point of view of game realism some times it would be life sawing.

Thanks

If you had to completely rework one the the existing regions from the ground up (transition regions included) what region would you like it to be and why?

• Upvote 2

We won't be having a Milton Mailbag this week, but keep the questions coming and @Raphael van Lierop will select from them for the next Dispatch. 

• Upvote 1

Are you planning to expand the game? For example, planting plants and fruits, or hunting birds, adding smoking cigarettes? can you add  this property to the game that when you bring the camera down and into the legs, we can see our limbs, including the chest of the hands And legs. It really feels like we're a human and we're wearing something! Are we going to make bullets in the future? And if so, what new ideas will be added to the game? Thanks for the time you gave us.

The Long Dark - Gorgeous! Thank you for that.

I want to know why:
- Do rabbits run in circles and eat nothing?

- Wolves do not sit, do not rest, and all the time in motion?

- Where are all the birds and where are all the rodents?

-Can we ever move inside the cab of a car?

-Will there be fuel in the gas tank?

- Where did coffee, tea and water bottles come from? because they are not in the backpack.

1Без имени-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Guys!

I'm a long time player of TLD and a winter camping enthusiast. I was thinking of a couple of mobility items that could be interesting additions to the game.

The first would be a Pulk Sled, a lot of back country campers use these in the winter as a way to pull supplies around without having to carry them in your backpack. This could serve as a sort of "mobile container" and be used to transport heavier than normal loads, perhaps at the cost of movement speed or energy. You wouldn't be able to take it up ledges or ropes, but if players were looking to bring supplies between home bases or make a long expedition a pulk could be a handy way to do it.

The second would be a craftable pair of Native American style Snowshoes. These could occupy one of the accessory clothing slots and be crafted out of saplings and leather, and would be used to increase movement speed and/or other benefits.

Anyway, great work on the game and I look forward to many more hours spent in future updates!

Hello Ralph, love the game. Been playing on ps4 for about a year, I have 2 questions, and an apology if I've missed an answer for these.

1) Will console players ever be able to place items anywhere, ie: matches on fireplace, gear organized on shelves. I would love to be able to put stuff wherever I want, like pc players can.

2) Will there ever be a primitive way to start fire, like finding flint, or maybe sticks and gut starters?

Thank you again, for an amazing journey of a game.

??

1 hour ago, Triple_D_50 said:

Hello Ralph, love the game. Been playing on ps4 for about a year, I have 2 questions, and an apology if I've missed an answer for these.

1) Will console players ever be able to place items anywhere, ie: matches on fireplace, gear organized on shelves. I would love to be able to put stuff wherever I want, like pc players can.

2) Will there ever be a primitive way to start fire, like finding flint, or maybe sticks and gut starters?

Thank you again, for an amazing journey of a game.

??

On Playstation 4 you press L2 over an item to pick it up and R2 to place. 

So i left my game on the title screen one day and i came back to the title screen, now during the night, with heavy winds and snow. 

Is the title screen its own map/game?

• Upvote 1

What are some games of this year that you found impressive, or even inspirational, from a mechanical, technical, or even art direction standpoint?

• Upvote 4

While walking there is sometimes a pause in the game, I believe this is associated with the Sprain Check, as sometimes Sprains manifest exactly after this pause.  Familiar with this association, my heart always skips a beat during that stutter.  Could you talk about what's going on behind the scenes that is so taxing as to pause the game?  (I'm running a fairly good system with an SSD drive.)

• Upvote 2

Hey @Raphael van Lierop, got a couple of question here that I finally remembered myself about asking:

1. "Do you guys plan on adding the old 'search bar' mechanic back?"
    Basically - before the UI update - the [container/drawer/etc] searching process was a bit different. Instead of you receiving all the items by the end of the searching process like you do now (choosing only after the search what to take and what to leave) you used to receive the items, if any, while the the searching process was going on. Because of this there was a sense of despair when the searching bar was reaching the end and you hadn't get that can of beans or box of matches you so desperately need. This amazing article by PCGamer talks about it: https://www.pcgamer.com/why-i-love-the-long-darks-painstaking-search-mechanic/.  He sums it up pretty well with this quote: "as that once innocuous 'Searching' bar takes on a whole new level of urgency and importance: whereby the closer it gets to completion without spoils, the further your heart generally sinks."
  2. "Do you personally think one should start a new survival save after December's update?"
    Without necessarily getting into details on what's going on under the hood of the game, what if some values in the game are also changed with the new update - for example cooking timing, damage or even if a new disease or feature is added, wouldn't it require a new survival save for them to be properly applied?

3. "Any chance we can have the Brands back in the future?" I think they were one of the coolest items added into the game and was really hoping you guys would have found a way to bring them back. Taking a torch out of the flames seems to me a bit too elaborate for me, as torches seem more like an item that has to be crafted instead of just pulled out of a fireplace. Besides, the brand actually had that primitive and desperate feeling to it.

Thanks!
  • Upvote 3

@Raphael van Lierop I promise you will die before you need to make a whetsone. Either you will find a whetstone, and/or you will use it up, and/or you will craft new homemade knives, hatchets, etc. and eventually you will starve/freeze/get eaten by wolves long before you wish, of all things, you could have made a whetstone.

BUT...with all that in mind, tell me why you want to be able to make a whetstone? :) 

I would like to 1) either be able to craft a whetstone or 2) see the decay rate of them either drastically reduced or eliminated.  In real life a whetstone lasts practically forever.   They are already pretty rare to find which is fine but the rate at which they wear out is a bit annoying and unrealistic. 

FWIW the whetstone is my favorite item in the game, just because I think they are cool. :) 

• Upvote 1

I've hated wolves for a long time. Now I tend to consider them as some kind of brothers, with the same goal - survive- but different interest. I feel like they don't hate me, so I can't hate them anymore. Was it HL intention from the beginning to actually have the player wonder if he/she were right to feel superior to wildlife? If yes, is it the reason behind the wolves being able to fear the player in return?

• Upvote 1

How do you address the fact that adding new regions makes the game easier? Early on in the game's development, it was much harder to survive a prolonged period of time due to a fundamental lack of items available in the game world. These days, you can simply strip all of the regions of their loot and relocate it to a central base, enabling you to survive years (if you don't make a stupid mistake). When you factor in beachcombing supplying an infinite amount of previously non-renewable resources, it seems that you will never have to struggle to make your resources last another 3 days, simply because you have 150 day's worth of supplies back at base. I live for the moments where I don't have enough resources to survive, but still somehow claw my way through another 5 or 10 days before finally fading into the long dark. Could you add an 'ultra low' loot setting to fix this? Or do you have another way to remedy this?

• Upvote 1