Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

Are you planning to expand the game? For example, planting plants and fruits, or hunting birds, adding smoking cigarettes? can you add  this property to the game that when you bring the camera down and into the legs, we can see our limbs, including the chest of the hands And legs. It really feels like we're a human and we're wearing something! Are we going to make bullets in the future? And if so, what new ideas will be added to the game? Thanks for the time you gave us.

The Long Dark - Gorgeous! Thank you for that.

I want to know why:
- Do rabbits run in circles and eat nothing?

- Wolves do not sit, do not rest, and all the time in motion?

- Where are all the birds and where are all the rodents?

-Can we ever move inside the cab of a car?

-Will there be fuel in the gas tank?

- Where did coffee, tea and water bottles come from? because they are not in the backpack.

1Без имени-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Guys!

I'm a long time player of TLD and a winter camping enthusiast. I was thinking of a couple of mobility items that could be interesting additions to the game.

The first would be a Pulk Sled, a lot of back country campers use these in the winter as a way to pull supplies around without having to carry them in your backpack. This could serve as a sort of "mobile container" and be used to transport heavier than normal loads, perhaps at the cost of movement speed or energy. You wouldn't be able to take it up ledges or ropes, but if players were looking to bring supplies between home bases or make a long expedition a pulk could be a handy way to do it.

The second would be a craftable pair of Native American style Snowshoes. These could occupy one of the accessory clothing slots and be crafted out of saplings and leather, and would be used to increase movement speed and/or other benefits.

Anyway, great work on the game and I look forward to many more hours spent in future updates!

Hello Ralph, love the game. Been playing on ps4 for about a year, I have 2 questions, and an apology if I've missed an answer for these.

1) Will console players ever be able to place items anywhere, ie: matches on fireplace, gear organized on shelves. I would love to be able to put stuff wherever I want, like pc players can.

2) Will there ever be a primitive way to start fire, like finding flint, or maybe sticks and gut starters?

Thank you again, for an amazing journey of a game.

??

1 hour ago, Triple_D_50 said:

Hello Ralph, love the game. Been playing on ps4 for about a year, I have 2 questions, and an apology if I've missed an answer for these.

1) Will console players ever be able to place items anywhere, ie: matches on fireplace, gear organized on shelves. I would love to be able to put stuff wherever I want, like pc players can.

2) Will there ever be a primitive way to start fire, like finding flint, or maybe sticks and gut starters?

Thank you again, for an amazing journey of a game.

??

On Playstation 4 you press L2 over an item to pick it up and R2 to place. 

While walking there is sometimes a pause in the game, I believe this is associated with the Sprain Check, as sometimes Sprains manifest exactly after this pause.  Familiar with this association, my heart always skips a beat during that stutter.  Could you talk about what's going on behind the scenes that is so taxing as to pause the game?  (I'm running a fairly good system with an SSD drive.)

• Upvote 2

Hey @Raphael van Lierop, got a couple of question here that I finally remembered myself about asking:

1. "Do you guys plan on adding the old 'search bar' mechanic back?"
    Basically - before the UI update - the [container/drawer/etc] searching process was a bit different. Instead of you receiving all the items by the end of the searching process like you do now (choosing only after the search what to take and what to leave) you used to receive the items, if any, while the the searching process was going on. Because of this there was a sense of despair when the searching bar was reaching the end and you hadn't get that can of beans or box of matches you so desperately need. This amazing article by PCGamer talks about it: https://www.pcgamer.com/why-i-love-the-long-darks-painstaking-search-mechanic/.  He sums it up pretty well with this quote: "as that once innocuous 'Searching' bar takes on a whole new level of urgency and importance: whereby the closer it gets to completion without spoils, the further your heart generally sinks."
  2. "Do you personally think one should start a new survival save after December's update?"
    Without necessarily getting into details on what's going on under the hood of the game, what if some values in the game are also changed with the new update - for example cooking timing, damage or even if a new disease or feature is added, wouldn't it require a new survival save for them to be properly applied?

3. "Any chance we can have the Brands back in the future?" I think they were one of the coolest items added into the game and was really hoping you guys would have found a way to bring them back. Taking a torch out of the flames seems to me a bit too elaborate for me, as torches seem more like an item that has to be crafted instead of just pulled out of a fireplace. Besides, the brand actually had that primitive and desperate feeling to it.

Thanks!
  • Upvote 3

@Raphael van Lierop I promise you will die before you need to make a whetsone. Either you will find a whetstone, and/or you will use it up, and/or you will craft new homemade knives, hatchets, etc. and eventually you will starve/freeze/get eaten by wolves long before you wish, of all things, you could have made a whetstone.

BUT...with all that in mind, tell me why you want to be able to make a whetstone? :) 

I would like to 1) either be able to craft a whetstone or 2) see the decay rate of them either drastically reduced or eliminated.  In real life a whetstone lasts practically forever.   They are already pretty rare to find which is fine but the rate at which they wear out is a bit annoying and unrealistic. 

FWIW the whetstone is my favorite item in the game, just because I think they are cool. :) 

• Upvote 1

I've hated wolves for a long time. Now I tend to consider them as some kind of brothers, with the same goal - survive- but different interest. I feel like they don't hate me, so I can't hate them anymore. Was it HL intention from the beginning to actually have the player wonder if he/she were right to feel superior to wildlife? If yes, is it the reason behind the wolves being able to fear the player in return?

• Upvote 1

How do you address the fact that adding new regions makes the game easier? Early on in the game's development, it was much harder to survive a prolonged period of time due to a fundamental lack of items available in the game world. These days, you can simply strip all of the regions of their loot and relocate it to a central base, enabling you to survive years (if you don't make a stupid mistake). When you factor in beachcombing supplying an infinite amount of previously non-renewable resources, it seems that you will never have to struggle to make your resources last another 3 days, simply because you have 150 day's worth of supplies back at base. I live for the moments where I don't have enough resources to survive, but still somehow claw my way through another 5 or 10 days before finally fading into the long dark. Could you add an 'ultra low' loot setting to fix this? Or do you have another way to remedy this?

• Upvote 1

Will and Jeremiah seem to talk about morphine a lot, and given that morphine never actually plays a role in the game at all, leads me to believe there is some subtext there.  Was that intended to serve as a sort of anti-drug PSA?  I mean for all the things they could be talking about, such as the risk of infection, possibly Jeremiah's injuries needing stitches, broken bones, etc. there seemed to be a disproportionately large amount of dialogue around morphine's addictive properties, and the euphoric side effects.  I'm just wondering if you can provide context or backstory for that.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

Question 1

In the first Buffer Memory in Quonset Gas Station Barbara says: "More and more ships passing, heading south. what will they find on the Mainlan, I wonder." In Desolation Point we can clearly see a mountain range looking south. Is that the Mainland or another islands?

Question 2

We know that Great Bear is a fictional island, but, if it were real, where on the canadian coast would it be located?

• Upvote 1

1) How many new regions are currently being developed?

2) Previously, between the main regions, you added a small transition, but then for some reason you stopped adding them to the game, limited directly to the transition from one main region to another.

Question: will you still add small transition regions to the game?

Edited by Faithful Cartographer

My questions

Is there a novella, shortstory or book that inspired the story in the long dark? 

Is there something i can read, watch or listen to, to learn more about the long dark universe?

Did you tick every romantic era-box on purpose, even the music?

Holy duck, you guys created a really beautiful piece of art. I did not notice it the first couple hours because i died so many times. It's amazing. Maybe you know the feeling when you look at a painting and want to know what else is in there or behind the horizon. Now i can just waddle around in the painting. It's so ducking awesome! Thank you!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

With the new cooking system will there be some updates to time management in the future to utilize it more effectively? Reading could use smaller time increments and forging doesn't have any increments at all.

23 hours ago, Faithful Cartographer said:

Previously, between the main regions, you added a small transition, but then for some reason you stopped adding them to the game, limited directly to the transition from one main region to another.

Milton has two transition areas. They are just incorporated into the main map

Edited by Serenity

In the last dispatch I suggested a backer-style dlc and you answered my question nicely. Here's another suggestion:

Start a kickstarter funding for a new dlc or a map. If it reaches its goal, make it free for everyone so those who want to donate you could achieve their goals by earning a couple of cairns or backer-created notes in that map or dlc, and those who do not have the opportunity (or don't want) to donate could grab the free stuff. there is a win-win-win solution here.

another quick question: (I don't know if it was proposed before) there are a lot of unclaimed cairns by the backers. Do you have any plans to sell them to other people who would want to adopt them?

Edited by yollarbenibekler
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1