Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

1. Are you planning to add new challenges to the game? If so, how difficult they will be? Except Hopeless Rescue, all current challenges are rather disappointing than challenging. Are you gonna add some harder ones in the future?

2. Will it be possible to craft improvised medium-tier clothes from only cloth pieces? For example improvised sweatshirts and trousers. This is the first thing I would do in Coastal Highway if I were survivor without warm coat.

3. Will it be possible to craft improvised containers from wood pieces? It would very help in places, where there is not enough containers to store items. Same goes to storing outside. I hate to drop everything on snow in order to preserve and then pick up items one by one. 

4. Will it be possible to make windbreakers for campfire from sticks and cloth pieces?

5. Will it be possible to preserve meat in some way? For example making smokehouse or meat jerky.

6. Are you planning to add some sort of dry food? Like rice for example. It could be easy to carry, very calorie rich, not spoiling, but requiring cooking in pot and big amout of water to prepare.

7.[VERY IMPORTANT] Are you planning to make sth about the nonsense with the cooking pots on Coastal Highway map? There are so many houses and kichens... Finding cooking pot should be guaranteed there. It looks dumb that you can actually find 0 cooking pots in all those houses.

8.[VERY IMPORTANT] Will it be possible to turn charcoal into something burnable? Trough crafting you could make "pack of charcoal" from 10 charcoal pieces. Or something like that. This would be interesting solution to use the forge for people, who don't wanna go on big trips for coal. Besides that, it would be great addition for players, who don't use map feature.

Edited by 1galbatorix1
New idea
  • Upvote 2

This one is hard to explain but will you ever consider having the map and looking at your journal and stats to be an in game thing such as what they did in the forest game. I just thought it makes those features more apart of the actual game world rather than going on page to look at them.

• Upvote 1

Guest hoasd1

why we can't struggle the bear or the moose or will be in the future tools or skills to struggle this wildlife?

HEY :D What's about modding API? I know there's a lot of people that would love to see any opportunity of making an addition to the game, only texture pack support would be great, allow us to add new items or even entities would be awesome ( and hard work for you developers )  together with site for uploading them supported by Hinterland, i would love to make something, hope you'd answer this :D

Unity is not good to make mods, but api you would make would be greatest thing possible that will keep game alive even when you will end work on it

Edited by Ojick

17 hours ago, Hadrian said:

One of the most compelling — and surely daunting — ambitions the team has ever disclosed to the community has been making The Long Dark's sandbox have all four seasons instead of just one.

Is this still on internal roadmaps, and can you talk about some of the challenges and opportunities it would present?

-H

this x 2 please.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for answering me Ralph! I'm very excited about the future you guys will afford to us. Great idea with the Milton Mailbag btw. After the trouble with the countdown and the delay on Episode 3, it feels good to see that the boss himself answers directly and fast. Well done and good job! :)

To hear about the upcoming items in the store makes me both happy and sad. Because i hope they will be as i imagine and it will cost me a load of money! :D:( Especially facing the fact that Ravnica is going to happen in September with all their merch too: TShirts, Pullovers, Clothing in general, Card Sleeves..... my bank account is going to cry very hard ;(

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely enjoy this game. Everything you guys do with it is absolutely amazing. New features, mechanics etc all good.

Since the beginning what has been really delightful for me is soundtracks. And I think everyone will agree that it helps a lot to develop some kinda atmosphere.

My question, is there any possible ways that you guys from Hinterland can upload all these soundtracks on ITunes Store so we could  enjoy amazing tunes more....

thank you:)

• Upvote 3

With the redux to episodes 1-2, from the monthly dev update, you guys mentioned streamlining development. Does this mean the releases for the latter episodes 3-5 will be spread out with a shorter release schedule? i.e. Episode 1-3 (Launch),  Episode 4 (2 months later)...

On 6/29/2018 at 2:49 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Who is K.G ?

I answered that in my first video on the trapper's homestead.

That is where it picks up on the answer to your question. I think after you hear the answer, you'll know why the question is unlikely to be answered by HLG.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

The patch notes mentioned improved waterfalls.  That made me curious.

So, after taking a refreshing shower inside Banner Falls I began wondering what new mechanics will come from the improved waterfall.

Maybe use as a shower to clean.  There seems to be water mist.  Collecting non-potable water is the only thing that would make sense.

Question; are you planning on expanding upon the improved waterfall?

Still looking for my rainbow

Edited by Ice Hole
rainbow

1. Is the owl actually in the game as an animal? At night we can sometimes hear an owl hoot. I presume it's just a sound, like the chirping of the birds we can hear during the daytime. But I can't shake the feeling that the owl COULD in theory be there as an animal - maybe just sitting in a tree and quietly looking around. Hooting occasionally. Very hard to see. So I'm asking...

2. Has Hinterland introduced new people to the storywriting team after the release of episodes 1 & 2? The reason I'm asking is that the storytelling of episodes 1 & 2 has been subject to quite a bit of criticism. I would count myself among the critics - I do love the sandbox and have sunk endless hours into it, but the storytelling fell short of my expectations. From Hinterland's public comments I gathered that the storytelling is being revisited for the 'redux' version of episode 1 & 2. But does that include some kind of peer review by "fresh" writers? Or will the story be refurbished by the same people who wrote it to begin with? I'm interested in this, because I am asking myself how I would handle this kind of problem myself.

What were the most enjoyable/fun things to work on in TLD? Sound design? Field research? 

How well documented is the development process? Will a bug reel or any "behind the scenes" footage be released to the public or perhaps unlockable in-game as some reward?

Any chance we could meet the team again? Perhaps we could hear what they have to say, like in one of those earlier YouTube videos.

• Like 2

Dear Hinterland team! 

Thanks for this wonderful game I've spent so much time with! I think you are doing a good job balancing updates for new & veteran players! As a veteran player, my TLD experience mostly consist of; Exploring (new maps, not gonna ask), Cooking, Hunting and Firestarting. So I have some questions on the latter topics! 

Cooking: Wonderful latest improvement on this, but I think the food spoilage could be improved. Why can ruined meat still be cooked and eaten? Maybe all food could decrease in weight (and calories) as they spoil, symbolizing cutting off mouldy parts or such, with ruined food actually disappearing. I was really nervous about that prospect at first, now I can stock up mountains of meat with no worries. Maybe more unforgiving risks from eating bad food, even with the 5-cooking perk? Also, cooking time influenced by fire temperature! 

Hunting: Are you planning on advancing this, making it more complex and perhaps challenging? Such as adding Tracking as a skill, making animals less conspicuous and such? Also, making animals less predictable. Everything that's unpredictable is scary. Such as occationally silencing the warning crows on bears, or making them attack without warning, or making startled deer run away (AWAY) and not stop and return to where the hunter is waiting. Most of my Survivors everyday excitement comes from hunting, I'd love to see it even more exciting! 

Firestarting: Chance to start fire influenced by choice of tinder and accelerant. I'd love to be able to pick my own amount of accelerant/oil to use. Like adding just a little bit to slightly improve chances, not pouring 0,3L (!!) of oil onto the fire. Also, maybe removing the ability to start fire without tinder, but greatly reduce chances without it, and also different chances for different tinder. Also, do the times to start fires differ for different material, tinder and firestarter? Maybe they could? 

Lots of love!

Really love the new update and the whole game for that matter.
I have a question.
When picking up the can of Pork & Beans it says in the text the name (Pork & Beans), But when looking at the back of the can at the ingredients it says that there is no pork in there.
why is that?

• Upvote 2

With the new cooking mechanic do you have any plans to allow us to empty cooked cans of food?

I really like the new mechanic requiring the use of a can / pot to boil water. 

However I recently found myself in a situation where I had left my two water cans ( I always carry 2 small cans ) down at the crash site in MT . When I got back to grey mothers house I was in desperate need of some water I did have a few cans of dog food and pinnacle peaches  however they where both below 10% condition therefore I did not want to risk food poisoning to gain a can. 

So could empty can contents be made a thing please?

I can also see this being an issue for longer runs when moving to  unexplored regions , none of the cans will be usable.

I know we have the cooking pot for boiling water however on maps like TWM/FM etc there may not be a cooling pot available.