Admin

Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

On 2018-09-21 at 4:30 PM, Tylor9261 said:

I've seen streamers mention legs and full body awareness like mittens and stuff in this game. And the foot prints in the snow are an awesome sense of immersion. Do you guys have plans to include legs and more full body awareness at either some point in TLD, or possibly your next title? I understand it must be a pretty big feature and design too with crouching and rock climbing animations to consider among other things like sprains and just artwork for legs too. 

For an answer on Full Body Simulation check Dispatch #8.

On 9/24/2018 at 1:36 PM, TheRealPestilence said:

Wolves are clearly strongly attracted to player characters who are carrying only .01kg of high condition cooked meat, yet such a small quantity of meat results in no scent indicator when the player displays the status overlay.  Many players still don't understand this and claim the wolf AI is just incredibly sadistic, particularly stalker players.

Is this mechanic an off by one bug or an attempt to give players a false sense of security?

This is very much true.  You can find the (relatively) exact scent values here - Scent Mechanics

I don't see any problem with the implementation of the scent meter.  How much help do you need?  If you put any type of meat in your pocket, it will be detectable by predators (both in this game and in real life).

Additionally, I really don't think it makes much of a difference at all, in terms of how much or what type of meat you are carrying.  It is very difficult to determine the distance between your character and the predators, and I haven't observed differences based on what I am carrying.  I am, however, looking into a couple of different methods to possibly determine the distance mathematically.  It is a difficult work in progress.

Last weeks mailbag had a lot of really promising responses about the future of TLD and I think a lot of us were very encouraged by the answers that were given.  Many of the systems you said you felt might still need tuning might, when implemented, go along way toward curing the monotonous nature of the game those of us who enjoy long sandbox runs experience. 

That said, I've read before that Hinterland is aware of the monotony that players face after a certain number of days survived and I was hoping you'd share some of your thoughts on the matter.

To be clear, the monotony I'm referring to occur in  sandbox games that last a very long time.  After a certain point, baring the introduction of a new zone or game mechanic you're stuck, boiling water, hunting and gathering firewood for the most part.  Any hints? 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-09-24 at 2:36 AM, Gamer935 said:

Hey I Was Wondering Is There Any Games Or Films That Inspired You And Your Team To Start Making The Long Dark?

Raph spoke a little bit about the inspiration for TLD in Mailbag #1 and #3.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, admin said:

Raph spoke a little bit about the inspiration for TLD in Mailbag #1 and #3.

Thank You :)

On 10-9-2018 at 4:28 PM, Luciën said:

I'm referring to a post of our fresh new community member @CGTv here (welcome Sunny!) as I pose the question. There has been much praise about the soundtrack of The Long Dark. Rightfully so. Sunny found out that music from The Long Dark has been used in a popular Belgian tv show, of course somewhere just before the cliffhanger (which happened to me in The Long Dark more than once ;)).

Has the music been used more often in other productions? What's your stance on using the music that helped creating the TLD atmosphere to colour completely different scenes? Does it help generating extra attention towards The Long Dark? Do you put stickers on physical copies promoting 'contains music also known from television series 'Familie'? Just a few ideas.

You're flattering me Luciën :P
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I do hope we one day get some clarification on this.
I am now also curious to know if it has been used elsewhere.
One thing is sure, the music composed for TLD is masterful.

~CGTv

~CGTv

Do you plan ad more regions to the game, in the Retail Launch Trailer we saw a bridge many cars in front of it, and in the story is a prison in the great bear island, do you plan add this places to the game?

Edited by paulrysavy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, paulrysavy said:

Do you plan ad more regions to the game, in the Retail Launch Trailer we saw a bridge many cars in front of it, and in the story is a prison in the great bear island, do you plan add this places to the game?

He may decide to speak to the specifics you've referenced by @Raphael van Lierop addressed a bit about new regions in Dispatch 2.

• Like 1

Is there an airport in great bear? I say this because the plane that is in timberwolf mountain because the secction of the tail in the side I think it says "great bear airline" and had a logo of a bear

Edited by Sipriano
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sipriano said:

Is there an airport in great bear? I say this because the plane that is in timberwolf mountain because the secction of the tail in the side I think it says "great bear airline" and had a logo of a bear

If I remember right, it's Grizzly Airline. :)

This was an odd idea I had, and not sure how it would work with TLD lore: can we expect functional microwave ovens during the aurora?

It would be great being able to heat that freezing cup of coffee or tea during one of those cold aurora nights when you just don't feel like or can't make a fire, and could use that extra warmth bonus together with some caffeine or tea to keep moving or recover some condition.

Edited by ArcherAC3
  • Upvote 3

Just curious to see if there is going to be any further development in regards to 3D object manipulation? We can rotate objects when examining them but arent able to do so when trying to "place" an item on a shelf.  I can find a flashlight in game that is sitting upright on a counter but once i pick it up i can only set it down on it's side for example.  Same goes for the rifle.  I can find a rifle propped up on it's side but once i pick it up i can only place it flat.  What about putting items on the top shelf, sure would be nice to utilize that empty space when "decorating" my base.  and one last question, any chance of getting a system to hang stuff from the walls?  Maybe we can get to stack some stuff as well in the future?

• Upvote 1

To the whole Hinterland team: Are you pleased with the positive feedback you get from players? Is there enough to be satisfied as a developing team?

I said several times in my survival stories that I loved the game (and sometimes hated it, which is the same), but never sent direct feedback to the actual humans behind it.:$

• Upvote 3

How did you do the texture for the mountaineers hut on TWM? The stonework is awesome! It is absolutely realistic as if a real stone mason placed each stone with just the right shape and fit. Someone must have spent a lot of time to get it just right. Kudos to Hinterland!

On a side note... the mountaineers hut has lights but no wall switch to turn them on or off. Also no power lines and no solar panels on the roof so where is the electric from? And why have motion sensor flood lights? Bears? Moose? Other mountaineers?

• Upvote 1

I have a bit of an odd question this time for you Sir... In that it's multi-part and my reference is a fan made article, online, known as "In The Ashes Of S.T.A.L.K.E.R."

What can you tell me of project "Raindrop", who were the duo developing it, and what if anything from it made it's way into The Long Dark? It's intrigued me ever since and I would love to know the story! :)

Edited by Tylor9261
Grammar

Hello community! Actually here are my couple of questions.

Have you considered the possibility of adding to the game, a competitive component? For example, to maintain a public leaderboard for survival, but make a limit, play only on the interloper, without regenerating health, without modifications, or something like that. I think that it would be interesting for players to compete with each other.
Also, would you not like to tie a calendar to survival mode? So that the player can see at any moment what day, month, year is. I think it would be interesting to know that Christmas is coming, or that your birthday is on this day.

With the recent closures of so many game development studios, I know the industry you are in must be on edge, confused, maybe hurting. 
It is fairly easy to sit back and look at the studios that have been shuttered, and declare "They should have done xxx, they shouldn't have done yyy...". 
I am curious how studios that are still going, and growing view their own histories, and decisions made.

In other words, is there anything that you wish you had done, or not done, during the development of this game, and of your studio? What changes do you wish you could go back and make, and what would the hopeful results of those changes be, in your mind? Hindsight is 20/20, so they say. What advice would you give, using your experience and hindsight, to new start-up devs and studios?

Yes, I am trying to pick your brain. My daughter will be going to college, Computer Science. She wants to work with SW, like Mom & Dad, but she does not want to do mundane "boring" work like Mom & Dad. She wants to #gamedev. Our industries are related, but totally different. I have no idea what to tell her to expect.
*worried Mom syndrome*

• Upvote 2

Please try to keep on track. This is a thread for the posting of questions for Hinterland (and The Long Dark) Creative Director @Raphael van Lierop. Please ensure that what you are posting is a question.

If you see that someone has asked a question that Raph has already answered then you can direct them to the Dispatch where he addressed it with a link. Raph may decide to expand on the question anyway.

If you want to debate someone's question further, start a new thread elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks.

A few years ago I remember you discussing the percentages of players that utilize the various difficulty levels.  I believe voyager was the most popular, followed by stalker and finally pilgrim.  This was before the addition of the interloper difficulty if my memory serves correctly.  How do the percentages look today?  I'd be curious if the game's age, the introduction of interloper and story mode have made any differences. 

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

So much snow, but sadly no skis to be found. Will we one day get our cross-country on in The Long Dark? I mean, this is Canada.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Do you plan on adding pajamas in The Long Dark?

It came to my head thinking that wearing them give you a small bonus to rest. 

Enjoy your guy's day!

I know you guys are very busy working on so many things, but I have always wondered why the Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1 rifle in game doesn't have the actual bolt that it has in real life. If you would be able to make the rifle in game look more like the real life version it would be a really cool addition to an already amazing game. If you guys intended for the rifle bolt to look the way it does in game I would be interested to know why. Thank you for your amazing game! 

Image result for lee enfield no4 mk1 Image result for the long dark rifle

Do you plan on improving the way fog transitions into the game? At the moment it just randomly appears, even if there are no clouds or anything to really tell it's going to be foggy.

• Like 1