Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

It is obvious that you and your team have put a great deal of thought into the game concept. What would life be like if some crazy, massive geomagnetic disaster, like a World-killer CME, happened to hit our planet.  I know the game is not 100% realistic, thankfully, because I suspect a 100% real sim of what it is going to be like if/when this actually happens to this planet, would really not be a ton of fun. At least, not for me and my family of TLD players. 

So, the question is, with all of the thought given to the science behind the game concept and some of the mechanics- if The Quiet Apocalypse happened for real, how would you, your family, even your team at Hinterland fare? We obviously cannot know for sure, but your gut feelings on how you and those close to you would deal with loss of utilities, stores. tech services and devices? (This would also be a great topic for a new Signal Hill Radio podcast, with you and a few of your team who have been around from the beginning, or close to it... *ahem* just saying *cough cough*.)

• Upvote 2

Hey, Raph,

Is there a real life location that has been the primary inspiration for the island of Great Bear? If so, where is it? Where in the Canada of the universe of The Long Dark is Great Bear located? Are there any details you can share about Great Bear's location, geography, climate, etc. in terms of lore and story background (e.g., how far off the coast is it, how large is the island compared to the playable regions introduced thus far, is there any Native American history associated with Great Bear)?

• Upvote 2

Are there any plans to expand on the late game in survival? A lot of people in the community have talked about how longer runs can become tedious and seem kind of empty content wise. You get caught in a cycle of just stockpiling shelters around the world in late game, I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for long term goals for players besides just surviving for the sake of a higher day count.

Also, how do you feel about adding a free look to the game? Like holding ALT and being able to pan the camera without changing your movement direction. It's something I've been surprised hasn't been added to the game for a long time.

• Upvote 1

Kijkmamzonderhanden.thumb.png.b136b32d4f21981547685cbe9776b162.pngI can't help but noticing your last name being very "Brabants". I somehow remember that your parents have their roots in the Netherlands. I wondered: do you like cycling? (it's considered very Dutch (and Danish & Chinese))

And if you do like cycling, even when it's cold, do you ever put your hands in your sleeves like Astrid does in this (supposed) bug? That's what it made me think of when I saw these two arms hanging from her.

Speaking of which (basically a second question), could this be some pre-work showing of the characters' full body? (by the way this GOG's version 1.35)

Often in small towns, secluded or otherwise, alcohol and bars are a significant way for people to stifle boredom and have a good time. Even with a low availability of shipments coming in, people often find inventive ways to start brewing and distilling their own and make a living doing it. Alcohol is also good disinfectant when nothing else is available. Why are there no bars or alcohol in the game, even if purely cosmetic? Would it negatively affect the game's rating?

Second question: Where are all of the sleds, ski's, toboggans, snowboards, and snowmobiles? They seem like they should be present in the game due to the climate/region in particular the sleds and snowmobiles (even if it's all cosmetic). Is any of this in a future update?

Edited by Soul Sojourner

I just saw a gameplay video in my native language and the translation is horrible. It's like as if someone used a translation program instead of a professional translator. I normally play in english, that's why i was surprised seeing this. Are there plans to rework the translations either with the help of the community and/or with a professional translator?

• Like 1

Before I get to the question I want to make a personal clarification. I'm a bit of a new school gamer, but mostly an old school gamer and I often prefer single player games and really despise pay-to-win game models as well as DLC. With that said, DLC that is large and adds content that is actually new and is essentially an expansion pack has never bothered me. Paying to get a complete game or to unlock features that should have been in the game in the first place does bother me. With that said...

I love this game and Hinterland and would love to see both grow and succeed, but we all know that comes down to a budget at the end of the day. There's really no getting around that. One successful micro transaction model I have seen succeed in the past and fully support is one that offers dlc/micro transactions of a purely cosmetic nature. These are features that don't really change the gameplay experience, and they don't give anyone an additional advantage.
Would you/have you ever consider/ed implementing cosmetic features (ie a flare that burns purple instead of red, clothing look variations, bear color shades, etc.) as dlc or microtransactions to help support the company and the game?

Who picks the music for your trailers?  Is it a single person or is it more of a collective effort?  I loved "The Curse" by Agnes Obel used in the Wintermute Launch trailer and I loved the most recent "Hollow Talk" by Choir of Young Believers used in the retail launch trailer.  Any chance of making a list available of 'contenders' that were considered but ultimately didn't make the cut?  I love discovering new music and would love to see what was pitched around.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I've looked through the threads and cannot see these questions having been asked or answered:

In the last update, you guys released something the community had on their wishlist for a long time: manual cooking. I, and I think it's fair to say a lot of other players, love this addition and feel it was a real game-changer for TLD. With that being said, are you considering introducing a similar mechanic for the manual breaking down of branches, logs, carcasses, and other harvestable items in the game?

And I guess this leads into question #2: I personally feel that at the moment this game is almost perfectly balanced and I'm cautious about radical changes that might tip that balance too far, but one of the great images I have from reading survival books and watching survival movies is someone building a shelter from scratch, whether it be a humble lean-to or a more complex log cabin, and I'm wondering if we'll ever have that experience with TLD?

Thanks.

I'm referring to a post of our fresh new community member @CGTv here (welcome Sunny!) as I pose the question. There has been much praise about the soundtrack of The Long Dark. Rightfully so. Sunny found out that music from The Long Dark has been used in a popular Belgian tv show, of course somewhere just before the cliffhanger (which happened to me in The Long Dark more than once ;)).

Has the music been used more often in other productions? What's your stance on using the music that helped creating the TLD atmosphere to colour completely different scenes? Does it help generating extra attention towards The Long Dark? Do you put stickers on physical copies promoting 'contains music also known from television series 'Familie'? Just a few ideas.

• Like 1

Have you considered a foraging skill - as in finding edible herbs, roots and plants unter the ice and snow?
(I could see finding maybe acorns, cranberries, bearberries or burdock under the snow with a shovel or watercress, mussels, kelp and seaweed in water if you can break the ice. Maybe some plants are slightly fluorescent in the aurora light.) *[I realize the effort would be immense but maybe you are already working on this to a degree.]

Have you ever considered malnutrition as a possible affliction? *[also a possible counterpart for foraging]
(For example, if you only consume meat - i cannot image eating only meat for a year to be healthy .. gameplay. )

edit: spelling & *[ ]

Edited by Dawnshift
  • Upvote 3