Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

Apologies if this has been asked. I did search, but did not find anything similar. But, I did search shallowly, so it may have been asked, and I may have missed it.

So:

Many of us believe the character Will looks like you, and may have his personality modeled after your own, loosely or not so loosely. Perhaps this is true, perhaps not. We gamers tend to assume a lot of things without knowing the full story. So, can you shed a little light on the story? Are the characters in Wintermute modeled after real world people in your life, or the lives of any of the devs and writers? No need to name anyone. Just curious if the appearance, style of speech, and personalities are based on real people, completely fictional creations, or a bit of both.

• Upvote 4

So I've been curious about a backpack system for a while. I read your answer regarding something similar on one of the Mailbags, so I'm hoping this isn't completely redundant. It's understandable that the way the current system works it would be difficult to compartmentalize items in a separate bag attached to the character. What about making backpacks modifier items just like the Moose Satchel? So you start of the survival mode with no backpack which gives you a base weight of say 30~, you can find different types of backpacks that would increase your carrying weight. Maybe all the way up to a rare rigid frame expedition pack that allows you to carry in the ballpark of 70-80~. Movement speeds would be affected when you get to bigger packs. Backpacks could have their own slot in the clothing menu. Sorry if this ended up looking more like a wishlist item than a question. The question of if something like that has already been considered is the core of it. Love the game so far. It's one of my go-to's and I always seem to return to it.

Also, you guys have mentioned wanting to work more on character presence in the first person. Has there been progress on making it so our wrists/arms and hands while playing reflect what you're wearing? Thanks for a great game, can't wait to see what happens next!

Edited by justyr1
  • Upvote 1

Sound is a huge factor for immersion in video games. In TLD it is done perfectly. Could we ever see behind the scenes in the recording studio? It would be fun to see how sounds such as rock climbing, the bear, blizzards, prying open lockers and the rifle were made

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

Another language related question from me.

Since the game has an obvious Canadian character, and Canada also has the French as official language, I was wondering. Has there ever been considered using French as the game's language? I know, I know, we have bilingual signs for Lac Mystère. And I know English is way more common in the game world, it would cross my mind every now and then.

• Like 1

Ok another question: you've already said you want to expand the cooking system would you consider allowing us to salt our meat (not sure if that's how you say it) so it last longer? When i kill a moose or something i always find myself with more meat then i can use but i simply cringe at wasting stuff in the long dark. I know a lot of players keep their meat outside cause ot lasts longer then but that also makes me highly uncomfortable so a way to preserve meat (or at least slow it's decay) would be handy.

I was wondering what the Hinterland approach to Easter Eggs and jokes within The Long Dark was. They’re some of my favourite parts of games I play as they often make me chuckle. In game I always like to read the description for the hoodie and look at the writing on food packaging so is it fun for you guys to add these into the game and do you plan on adding many more in the future?

Edited by henroe32
  • Upvote 3

In real life, trying to chew off raw mammalian meat is really difficult, the taste is disgusting, and most people would immediately recognize what they are doing and stop. On the other hand, fish can be eaten raw, after removing the outer layer. In The Long Dark, we cannot eat raw fish, but the game allows us all too easily to eat raw mammalian meat. Could this be swapped? As it is right now, the raw meat is just a trap for players, that usually results in food poisoning.

• Upvote 1

The one thing that disappointed me about the original Episodes 1 and 2 was the (almost complete) lack of moral choices. In Episode 1, I didn't see any meaningful choice - at one point, The Grey Mother presented me with 2 options how to find food, one being hunting and the other being ransacking the abandoned Gas Station, but that station is abandoned and looting it does not really affect anyone. In Episode 2, there was the one moment with the Forest Talker bag, which resulted in death if returned without ammo, but that's it.

The game was initially presented as a game of meaningful choices - with "What will you do to survive?" etc. hinting at so much more than what we got so far.

So my question is: Should we keep hoping for some more complex moral/ethical dilemmas, or is it going to be similar to the Ep 2 "one moment per episode" approach?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Oh boy, I suspect this has been asked before, so apologies if it's been answered.

Have you considered a way to smoke meat/make jerky?

Here's my thought, using cured birch branches to build a smoker, which sits on a camp fire outside. You need to keep the fire going for 8-10 hours straight to smoke the meat, the meat looses half it's calories, but lasts longer and maybe doesn't attract predators (or you can carry more before getting the 1 scent line.) It would give birch another purpose, plus force you to find a protected place to monitor a campfire all day/keep it burning.

I'm bringing this up because I've had back-to-back games where I've gotten a moose and a bear around the same time. It's just a LOT of meat to deal with, not to mention all the wolves I've left to rot in the snow when they came for me as I ferried meat around. Just hate the waste!

I just finished Wintermute episode two, I must say I am loving this game, but I also hate it. The bear is my biggest concern, I think it need to be adjusted so it's not to difficult.(like a respiring bullet cache) I wondering since when I go on trips away I take my thermos, or travel mug, why doesn't will have one, and uses a can instead, it make more scene that way.  I also love the Aurora, it's breath taking, any plans to add an aurora mode where you can just chill and watch it?

As if The Long Dark needs more of these..

Guns! The revolver has been floating around for years now. The models for the gun itself and ammunition got leaked, as well as a '.38 Caliber Hand Gun' text entry being briefly visible during the October 2013 Kickstarter gameplay reveal. The latest acknowledgement was a mention of the revolver on the infamous roadmap.

My question is this; will we ever see the revolver and what purpose would it serve as an addition to the Long Dark-arsenal?

On a final note, what do you think of re-implementing the old Hunting Rifle model and dreaded aiming mechanics in the form of a sporterization modification to the current Hunting Rifle via the workbench? It'd lower the weight and increase the skill ceiling (like the Bow). Keep the Rifle skill relevant. That kind of thing.

i have a servival going at the moment in the mountin town i just grab the meat i can run it back to grey mothers house and dump it in the fridge i keep everthing else food related in the main room then go back annd just do trips so get a base or more than one and stock up also any tips for getting the 500 day challenge