Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

There are some pretty annoying bugs that are several years old and have been reported gazillion of times, but were never fixed. It was also never communicated why these problems were not solved. Do you think this is a sensible way to deal with the player base?

(as small examples here the underground bear spawn at the nameless pond or the wolf attacks through solid structures)

• Upvote 2

Watching my Twitter feed, seeing some of the tabletop game Cons going on this year made me wonder... has any thought been given to developing a tabletop board game version of The Long Dark? Similar to how NDemic made a tabletop board game version of Plague Inc? I have thoughts on the idea, that I won't go into here. But, any consideration of it, and how it could act as a "test" for ideas, for a possible future Multiplayer digital version of the game? 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Not sure if you are able / willing to answer this at this stage, but when Wintermute was first released a year ago, it was announced that Episode 3 was planned for late 2017, with Episodes 4 and 5 planned for release in 2018. Obviously with the redux, this has now been put back.

Is the schedule the same as before, except for being 12 months later? So is it fair for us to assume that Episodes 4 and 5 are now both planned for release over the course of 2019, or are you anticipating further adaptations due to player feedback on the new version that's coming out in December, and therefore a longer timeframe for the last two Episodes?

• Upvote 1

What are your opinions on a co-op mode of TLD where two friends can survive and explore together? Of course certain systems would need to he overhauled and changed, but do you think it is a possibility?

2nd question, will Episode 3 get a trailer?

Edited by JamesDoesThings
  • Upvote 1

Are you considering reviewing cooking time for the various meats? – they seem a bit too long for me...

Regardless, I'm loving this game sooo much, so thanks!!!

m.

Edited by musrass
Made a wish instead of asking a question

First I wanted to say i simply love the game and i've gotten quite a few hours in it already, so recently i've started playing a lot of interloper and i've gotten frostbite so many times. Now i understand that it's a very fair injury and i also understand that there is no cure for it i mean when you're fingers are dead they're just dead but i was wondering if there was maybe a possibility of having an easier way too track the progress of injuries then going into the status menu every time? Maybe some apart from just a symbol in the HUD also the percentage? just an idea of course one that would make it a lot easier to keep track of afflictions. 

• Upvote 2

Could we expect to see the implementation of a fitness meter, that would grant small bonuses like less endurance loss when running, more endurance, and maybe tiny boosts to carry weight and movement speed in this iteration of the long dark? I think it would be a much better way of making me go outside and be active then cabin fever, which just moves me from the trappers cabin to the cave in the transition area to Milton just a couple hundred meters, maybe a kilometer away.  For one day, a day spent in as many time progressing UI windows as possible. 

Also, I know it would be very very hard to implement without turning the game into Skyrim, but could we maybe see the addition of a small hop or vault, something to help out maneuver those wolves. 

Is there anything in the works for fire temperatures affecting cooking times? Because my God, real fire cooks food fast. You have to be careful not to overfeed the flame, burn the meat before it even cooks. 

lastly, if I slaughter all the deer in a area, does that affect the respawn rates? Or is there no simulated breeding going on while the deer are off screen? Any plans for it if not? 

• Upvote 1

Have you ever had any dreams where you were actually IN The Long Dark? I so, I'd love to hear the details. I've had a few, most recent one I can remember is one where I was trying to make my way home at night during a really nasty blizzard, visibility about up to 5 feet in front of my face, wind hard against my back, snow obscuring my vision...when out of nowhere a 7 foot tall black mass with glowing white eyes rushed me and killed me. Startled me awake. :D

• Upvote 2

Are you guys going to add a jump mechanic into The Long Dark, or even the ability for you character to automatically step over small objects that would otherwise stop you in your tracks. (like small branches or rocks)

I've encountered many annoying lumps in the ground, or even tiny branches that get in the way, and stop your character from moving, or even bits of concrete that separate roads and paths.

• Upvote 1

Will there be any update to the game for us to try a few new features as a way to pass time before the Episode 3 being released in December?

Do you plan to continue updating your game to make some changes or adding any new features to gameplay for episode 4, and 5 like additional to cooking system way before episode 3 release date a couple of months ago as an example?  How close are you being satisfied with your game play vision?  

People are asking a lot more important questions than me... but I always wondered, what is the point of being able to search the visors in the cars? They never have anything in them. In my first hours with the game I would check them every time.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Are there any plans, or at least brainstormy ideas being tossed around, to expand the utility of the aurora in the game?  For example, electric heaters, working microwaves, being able to use a live sparking wire as a firestarter, an old Walkman to listen to the radio from anywhere, etc.  Even impractical things that you wouldn't bother carrying with you, but that would be great fun to stash at your favored safehouse.  Like...a Game Boy or something, to play some little totally optional minigame.

• Like 2

At night time, you can hear owls hooting in the trees. Are you going to make it so that we can find Owls at night, and possibly kill them for feathers?

Yes i do think it's a inhumane thing to do, but maybe if someone playing interloper who needs feathers to make more arrows, happen to find a rare owl spawn and collect like 15 feathers and some extra meat. I think the main risk of hunting an Owl is shooting it out of the tree (and possibly miss) and going out at night.

Edited by Smellyfries

Are you going to add a quick stat weight meter to the bottom right of the screen that act as a quick way to see your carry weight? Right now the only way we know how our weight is, is by checking your inventory, or seeing the red weight symbol in the bottom right. It would be cool if there was a meter similar to food and water that you could see in the bottom right to quickly check your weight without seeing exact numbers.