Misuke

FPS Drops with MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Recommended Posts

Hi, well, it was really long time since i posted my last Topic here. I finally decided to change e-mail and password, i did it and well, i'm finally here yet again. You see, i have finally my Gaming PC and i'm really happy with it. But in The Long Dark i have some strange FPS Drops... i mean, inside everything is okay, i have this problem mainly during day-time when i'm outside. I have stable 60FPS but i saw that they like to drop even to 40FPS outside during day. I have everything maxed out, even those gauges. If i'm not wrong the problem is with Trees, when i dropped their drawing distance a lot ( to the stage of prepared Ultra ) the FPS seemed to be stable 60. But still i have a feelings like maybe something is wrong with my PC. Can anyone help me?

By the way, thanks for replies! :)

My Specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz

GPU: MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC

RAM: 4x2GB ( 8GB ) DDR3 1333MHz

Power Supply: Chieftec 500W ( it has something like over 10 years )

Hard Drives: Some old SATA3 ones ( lol, really, i don't know much about them, 2 of them are Seagate and one of them is WD. 2 of them have something like 320GB, and another one only 160. They also have like over 10 years. )

PS. I'm really wondering because my GPU should have no problem at running this game. I see in recommended GTX 555, so it should run without problem. My CPU maybe is not the best, but it's also not bad, so i think it should also run this game on max. Or maybe is it my CPU or even GPU? I don't know, i'm just confused with that problem... i'll just say my GPU has around 60 degrees when outside with many trees. On games like TF2 on max i have only 40 degrees... Please help! I have knowledge in PCs but this problem... i just can't get this one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

For me, turned off SSAO fixed my problem.

Try this, you dont notice any difference visually.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20.08.2018 at 7:25 PM, Gr0dede said:

Hello,

For me, turned off SSAO fixed my problem.

Try this, you dont notice any difference visually.

 

Really, SSAO doesn't do anything with visual difference? If i'm not wrong SSAO makes shaders in some places that have small space... Well, i'll check this.

PS. Sorry for late reply, no one was replying so i thought it'll be one of those 'forgotten topics'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SSAO works great on other games, but in this one, with this particullar game design, SSAO dont change a lot visually.

I'm on ultra, when i turn on or off SSAO, i see just a little bit of a difference inside with the light throught the windows, except that, nothing.

Try that, works totally for me.

No problem for the late reply, hope you can resolve your issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gr0dede said:

SSAO works great on other games, but in this one, with this particullar game design, SSAO dont change a lot visually.

I'm on ultra, when i turn on or off SSAO, i see just a little bit of a difference inside with the light throught the windows, except that, nothing.

Try that, works totally for me.

No problem for the late reply, hope you can resolve your issue.

 

Nope, i get to an forest and there were many trees plus strong wind, i had something like 50FPS ( With Maximized Settings, i mean everything on Ultra even those gauges ) i turned off SSAO but i've got only like 3FPS more :( What's the issue? My PC should run this game without any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmmm weard.

Did you try to low the distance view?

You said : " I have everything maxed out, even those gauges", maybe it's that, even me with my RX 570 OC i haven't that gauges on the max.

Try putting the game on ultra, and let the gauges the ways there are.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26.08.2018 at 6:16 PM, Gr0dede said:

Hmmmmm weard.

Did you try to low the distance view?

You said : " I have everything maxed out, even those gauges", maybe it's that, even me with my RX 570 OC i haven't that gauges on the max.

Try putting the game on ultra, and let the gauges the ways there are.

 

 

I writted that earlier. I once dropped the trees drawing distance to the prepared Ultra ( you know, to that stage where normal Ultra haves ) i had stable 60FPS... But i thought there's also another problem because some people with similiar specs had better FPS than me... So, it's just a perfomance issue in Unity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with looking at people with similar CPU and video cards is that you're ignoring one of the primary sources of performance issues: the quality of the busses on your mainboard. Those things really matter a lot; your card might be able to keep up but if the bus leading to the card is marginal on its specs (often the case with cheaper mainboards) it won't matter if the data can't get shoved through the bus fast enough to feed the video card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.08.2018 at 8:24 PM, stratvox said:

The problem with looking at people with similar CPU and video cards is that you're ignoring one of the primary sources of performance issues: the quality of the busses on your mainboard. Those things really matter a lot; your card might be able to keep up but if the bus leading to the card is marginal on its specs (often the case with cheaper mainboards) it won't matter if the data can't get shoved through the bus fast enough to feed the video card.

Well, i had an MSI motherboard but it became broken because of golden... things on PC case...

I have now ASRock PRO4 Z87, is it really bad? I thought it's not maybe perfect Motherboard... but i thought it's actually nice. Is it that main problem behind this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not that up on current hardware to really be able to give you an answer on that specific motherboard. Maybe try looking it up on Tom's Hardware or something and see what they have to say about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, for now i found the topic here 'Is the ASRock Z87 Pro4 good at overclocking?'

The topic creator wrote this:'I'm building a gaming PC with the i5 4570k and I'd like to try overclock it to around 4.5 GHz! I'll be using Hyper 212 EVO! Will the ASRock Z87 pro4 be able to do this? It says it has a 6 power phase design which I believe should be good! Also if anyone knows a better motherboard for around £100, I'd really appreciate you telling me! Thanks!'

I found reply:'yes u should be good with a pro-4

your cooler would not be able to do any higher if you do not have a good enough cabinet

have fun 
regards'

So... it looks like it's a good motherboard. If they say it's good to overclock i5-4570K to 4.5GHz on that motherboard... i wonder that it's the problem... Man, i'm really confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks, i bought a 1050Ti few month ago, i tried it for like 2 month.

It's not a good GPU, it's cheap, can run some little games, but when you play a more power hungry games, it's bad.

You have only 8Gb ram, which is, these day, not enough.

Did you try to run the game and look at the % of your gpu, cpu and quantity of ram used? You can do that with msi afterburner.

If you see when your fps drop that your gpu are at 100% usage, then you know it's this.

What resolution are you playin?

I'm on ultra, the gauges stay like that, and sometimes, inside i have fps drop during day, i had to turned off SSAO and i have a much more powerfull GPU than yours so...

PS: It's definitly not your cpu, i have a i7 3770 (more old than yours) and the usage on game are like 20% so...

 

 

 

Edited by Gr0dede

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gr0dede said:

Looks, i bought a 1050Ti few month ago, i tried it for like 2 month.

It's not a good GPU, it's cheap, can run some little games, but when you play a more power hungry games, it's bad.

You have only 8Gb ram, which is, these day, not enough.

Did you try to run the game and look at the % of your gpu, cpu and quantity of ram used? You can do that with msi afterburner.

If you see when your fps drop that your gpu are at 100% usage, then you know it's this.

What resolution are you playin?

I'm on ultra, the gauges stay like that, and sometimes, inside i have fps drop during day, i had to turned off SSAO and i have a much more powerfull GPU than yours so...

PS: It's definitly not your cpu, i have a i7 3770 (more old than yours) and the usage on game are like 20% so...

 

 

 

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But it's still strange that they gived GTX 550 in recommended and i have fps drops ( or even you ) i know my GPU is not that powerful to run AAA games on Ultra 60FPS ( for example, GTX 1060 6G, the most popular GPU for gaming ) but it should be able to run AAA games at high or medium at 60FPS 1080p. Yep, i'm playing on 1080p. Well, if your i7-3770 doesn't have problems with this game when my i5-4440 also shouldn't have some problems, maybe it would be worser than yours but probably not much.

I actually seen those drops thanks to Afterburner, so yeah. When i'm playing this game i have mostly 6GB RAM showing up, so i don't think it's RAM. GPU... well, it would be really weird if it would be it, because my 1050 Ti should run The Long Dark without problems.

As i said, i have Ultra and even gauges maxed out, when i dropped Trees Drawing Distance i had stable 60FPS.

But i had still in mind one thing... did they putted here recommended specifications for only Ultra without gauges? I'm wondering...

Btw, this situation is really strange because, altought i know my PC is not an monster, it's still nice, and it should run this game without problems... well, but i'll check again what's usages look like just to be sure.

PS. i chosed this PC because i don't wanted to spend that much money, i have in plans also buying Nintendo Switch so yeah, i couldn't just buy even better PC, i also don't need Ultra on every game so that's why i got my GTX 1050 Ti, because it's a pretty good GPU for an nice price. So, it looked like a good choice for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now