First Impressions

shaydin

Hey guys, I first heard about The Long Dark was from a friend. And the way it was described to me was a first person survival sim with Comma- *Cough* Mark Meer. I was instantly excited when I heard this. At first I thought it would be a more realistic fallout style game, with the dialogue of Mass Effect. And now with Jennifer Hale, David Hayter and Elias Toufexis I am only fathom the storyline. What were some of you initial thoughts for The Long Dark?

My first impression was: "Why have no one done this before?"

I really love the aspect of realistic survival where you don't need to dodge zombies or mutants and scavenge for antivirus and ammo.

One of my worst fears is the feeling of being left alone and TLD seems to embrace this situation.

I will take the game as a personal challenge! :)

When I first heard about The Long Dark I felt a weird mix of sadness and excitement. I was sad because it is pretty much the ideal game that I have wanted to make for a few years now, and I am still in school learning game engine programming. I was excited at the same time because I saw who was working on it and I believe that they can pull off what I have envisioned in my head for years now. A gritty realistic survival simulation. Also having both Commander Shepards can't hurt.

I heard about the Long Dark when there were only a few choice pieces of concept art available. I was pulled in both by unusual formation of talent in the studio, but also by the concepts laid out about the project to be.

I've never looked back since that first encounter and (clearly) still follow the project closely.

Plainly, I'm a sucker for good art. I saw the piece of concept art of the house with the smoking chimney and the aurora in the background and immediately thought, "...shit" (but in a good way). Maybe I knew it was all downhill from there for my wallet. No regrets though - the game looks just as amazing as the concept art. I chuckle to myself once in a while when I consider how many times I'm likely to freeze to death because I can't stop admiring the visuals, especially at night. Hopefully there's no penalty for dying excessively. For that reason, it seems rather cruel :)

Heard about TLD from a buddy about 4 days into their campaign. My first impression was "Made in BC...sweet" and the fact that Jennifer Hale was voicing the trailer was awesome, but since I'd never used KS before I wasn't really sold on backing the project until I did some research on what KS was...after the research I read through all the info about TLD...3 days later I backed the project.

The video with Mark Meer was a cherry on top.

Archived