Any notion what killed me?

Strider

Interesting play-through that actually.

I'd been attacked by wolves 5-6 times just in that one day. I should have just seen out the day after the 2nd or 3rd attack but I could sense I was close to a breakthrough and so I pushed on.

After the 5th or 6th attack I was down to 6% condition. I was exhausted (and because of that) also encumbered but that was all that was wrong with me when I slept but I died in my sleep.

Was it the exhaustion that killed me or being encumbered. I wasn't bleeding and I had used antiseptic.

Thanks

It could have been the exhaustion, but I would have expected the exhaustion to subside before your 6% condition was up. Although, fatigue doesn't go down even is you sleep if you've been starving for a while... That could have been it.

It could also have been starvation or dehydration if you didn't eat/ drink before sleeping.

Thanks for the reply. I think I did eat/drink but it's possible that I didn't eat/drink enough so I grew hungry through the night and wasn't able to keep myself warm.

Perhaps that was it. Oh well, live and learn.

4-5 days for my second go. I can do better.

For a second run, 4-5 days is actually pretty good.

Tip: don't sleep for too long, especially if your condition is really low. If you forgot to eat or drink before sleeping that will kill you if you sleep for more than a few hours. It's better to sleep for a shorter period and be able to correct your mistake than to sleep for a longer period and die because of it.

Also if you go to sleep while still freezing, you can easily loose a few % before you're warm enough to stop freezing. In general, make sure the hunger, thirst and temperature bars are as low as possible before sleeping.

For a second run, 4-5 days is actually pretty good.

I find that greatly encouraging, thanks

Tip: don't sleep for too long, especially if your condition is really low. If you forgot to eat or drink before sleeping that will kill you if you sleep for more than a few hours. It's better to sleep for a shorter period and be able to correct your mistake than to sleep for a longer period and die because of it.

Ah, fascinating. Allow my core temperature to rise before sleep.

In other words, when you sleep you core temperature drops. Not raising it before I sleep might have been what tipped the balance.

This game does have depths. There are niggles which I want to discuss (not here) but on the whole the game has many qualities I've not seen in other games. It seems to blend (my ignorance of) the realistic aspects of the harshness of the Canadian climate with actual game play which is pretty intelligent balancing from the creators.

I can't even imagine what this game would be like with cities, NPC's or worse, other players. It's already pretty scary. I was walking around some poor souls cabin feeling edgy even though I was pretty confident I was alone in there. With NPC's I'd be checking every corner.

Interesting play-through that actually.

I'd been attacked by wolves 5-6 times just in that one day. I should have just seen out the day after the 2nd or 3rd attack but I could sense I was close to a breakthrough and so I pushed on.

After the 5th or 6th attack I was down to 6% condition. I was exhausted (and because of that) also encumbered but that was all that was wrong with me when I slept but I died in my sleep.

Was it the exhaustion that killed me or being encumbered. I wasn't bleeding and I had used antiseptic.

Thanks

It wasn't because you were encumbered because that is not on the table when you sleep. If you where @6% then I would back my next paycheque, that you didn't have the calories stored, and depending on how long you chose the sleep for, at some time, lets say 6hrs in out of 12, your calories depleted to 0, and because of that, your fatigue would of gone through the roof, and there was no way back.

Don't worry though, even after playing 250+hrs of the game, I too, have forgotten to eat before bed.

For future reference, when you select the hours you want to sleep, look at how many calories you will burn while sleeping, and atm, its 75Cal/hr while sleeping, make sure you eat at least 900Cal if you sleep for 12 hrs. This will also help in the %+ to your overall % when you wake up.

It wasn't because you were encumbered because that is not on the table when you sleep. If you where @6% then I would back my next paycheque, that you didn't have the calories stored, and depending on how long you chose the sleep for, at some time, lets say 6hrs in out of 12, your calories depleted to 0, and because of that, your fatigue would of gone through the roof, and there was no way back.

Don't worry though, even after playing 250+hrs of the game, I too, have forgotten to eat before bed.

For future reference, when you select the hours you want to sleep, look at how many calories you will burn while sleeping, and atm, its 75Cal/hr while sleeping, make sure you eat at least 900Cal if you sleep for 12 hrs. This will also help in the %+ to your overall % when you wake up.

This makes me smile. They say don't eat anything large before bed as it's a good way to put on weight. In TLD I'm having to unlearn what I have learnt.

Thanks for the info though. This was very interesting reading.

In other words, when you sleep you core temperature drops. Not raising it before I sleep might have been what tipped the balance.

No, sorry I didn't explain that quite well enough. Inside a building the temperature is -1 (this may change in the future, but for now this is true for every building that has a load screen when entering/ exiting). So if you clothes provide at least +2C, you will warm up. Beds don't provide extra warmth, so in bed you will still warm up slowly if your clothes are warm enough. So your temperature won't drop while sleeping (unless you sleep outside or your clothes are not warm enough, died that way once).

But if you are freezing, it takes a while before the freezing status fades. If all other bars are in the green, when you enter a house while frerezing it will take some time before you're no longer freezing. You loose a few % condition during this time. So if you're freezing, enter a house and get in bed immediately while your condition is already very low, you could freeze to death before you get warm enough.

Are you sure you can't die from exhaustion while sleeping if you've been starving long enough that your fatigue doens't go down anymore while sleeping? It could be, I've never been in a situation so I wouldn't know for sure.

It could just as easily have been not drinking before sleep. If you're already thirsty and you don't drink before sleeping for 8 hours, you will get dehydrated and can easily loose those remaining 6% that way.

Yeah, we all make mistakes, no matter how long we've been playing. But if you play wisely, most mistakes won't kill you.

It's good advise to eat well before sleeping for longer periods. But when your condition is still good it's not life threatening to eat less or not at all when sleeping. Starving will cost you 1% per hour, so even sleeping for 12 hours won't kill you when your condition is at 80%.

Personally, I never sleep for more than 8 hours at a time. If I want to sleep longer, say 12 hours, I sleep for 6 hours, drink and sleep for another 6 hours.

No, sorry I didn't explain that quite well enough. Inside a building the temperature is -1 (this may change in the future, but for now this is true for every building that has a load screen when entering/ exiting). So if you clothes provide at least +2C, you will warm up. Beds don't provide extra warmth, so in bed you will still warm up slowly if your clothes are warm enough. So your temperature won't drop while sleeping (unless you sleep outside or your clothes are not warm enough, died that way once).

But if you are freezing, it takes a while before the freezing status fades. If all other bars are in the green, when you enter a house while frerezing it will take some time before you're no longer freezing. You loose a few % condition during this time. So if you're freezing, enter a house and get in bed immediately while your condition is already very low, you could freeze to death before you get warm enough.

Gotcha!

Thanks

Are you sure you can't die from exhaustion while sleeping if you've been starving long enough that your fatigue doens't go down anymore while sleeping? It could be, I've never been in a situation so I wouldn't know for sure.

If you re-read it, I said you you are not encumbered while sleeping, as well as doing the sums to show that you can die by exhaustion, whiny haven't got the calories stored up. So if you are @ 6% and no Calories, that will affect your overall % of 6% so when you sleep and you have 0 Cal then it will straight away take more % off that 6% over all, hence you will die by exhaustion.

I hope that explains it a little better.

If you re-read it, I said you you are not encumbered while sleeping, as well as doing the sums to show that you can die by exhaustion, whiny haven't got the calories stored up. So if you are @ 6% and no Calories, that will affect your overall % of 6% so when you sleep and you have 0 Cal then it will straight away take more % off that 6% over all, hence you will die by exhaustion.

I hope that explains it a little better.

I've read it, re-read it and read this post as well. This is what threw me off:

It wasn't because you were encumbered because that is not on the table when you sleep.

I misread that to mean exhaustion is not on the table when you sleep. My apologies.

If you where @6% then I would back my next paycheque, that you didn't have the calories stored, and depending on how long you chose the sleep for, at some time, lets say 6hrs in out of 12, your calories depleted to 0, and because of that, your fatigue would of gone through the roof, and there was no way back.

Having thought about this some more, I'd like to revisit this.

In my personal experience if I go to sleep without eating when I've been starving for several hours, my fatigue still goes down while I sleep. So if I have > 0 calories when going to bed, running out of calories during my sleep is not going to get me killed from exhaustion because my fatigue is going down not up.

Now if I'm been starving for long enough that my fatigue doesn't go down while sleeping and I'm exhausted then I can die from exhaustion while sleeping. But it will also be from starvation, because if I'm not starving my fatigue would go down.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping, but it would be interesting to know...

There is a log of everything that happens ingame, that you can find under:

C:\Users\\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark

its called Log_ and it will probably tell you why you died while sleeping.

You will need to go through the different logs and find the right one, and it can be a chore since there is one logfile generated per new game started...

However, you could look at the date created or last modified to try and figure it out.

Hope it helps!

//Mikael

It's amazing that OP managed to survive 5-6 wolf attacks in one day without dying. You must click like a madman on meth. Even with a hunting knife and 100% condition, I usually can only survive 2 wolf attacks (each does like 30-40% damage to my condition) before I need to go lick my wounds and sleep it off for a day or two.

You need to be very careful doing any time lapse thing (sleeping, gathering wood etc) if your condition is in danger - always make sure you have enough calories to do whatever you are planning on doing, and drink water before bed. If those aren't to blame, you probably died in your sleep because of freezing to death. I have had a couple of stupid deaths because I slept an hour too long with low condition and died of thirst or froze to death gathering wood because it got colder and I miscalculated.

Archived