Hushed River Valley Start Interloper

Ahatch

Have to say the Hushed River Valley start in Interloper has to be the toughest. Although I was able to find a bed roll early and matches it's just the map and the indoor wolf that has done me in the last couple rounds I started there. Just found the bed roll then went up the caves a bit further and there's a dead rabbit on the floor. My fatigue is way up so I make it to the cave entrance. I harvest the rabbit and go outside and drop the meat by the cave door. I go to reenter the cave to go have a sleep and get immediately jumped by Fluffy #2 :wolf:. I always thought the Desolation Point start was tough but thinking this start is even tougher as I'm averaging 1-2 days each time out.

Well i find it's tough to move around since some pathways are blocked by scrub brush so you need a hatchet to get through those. So I find myself going  in circles which always end back at the ice cave system and I die before finding the way to Mountain Town.

I explore the practice of Interloper HRV starts in Snowballs: Hushed River Valley.

The latest run ("Snowball 56") starts on page 10 and gives some ideas about what to do and where to go. On Interloper, HRV does not have anything you couldn't find in other regions. Even the loot at the Signal Fire is a bit underwhelming, so apart from the challenge, I find little reason to stay there. I stay for the first few days to get the good things and then I'm out. The good things:

• static bedroll and hacksaw
  • static combat pants and a wool ear wrap in a supply cache
  • lots of cattails
  • wolf carcasses you can skin and get a head start on your first wolf coat
  • three static matches

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interloper start ... HRV? ... where's the nearest cliff to jump off?

Even with a seriously well equipped character entering HRV on Voyageur 160 days into a run ... 3 days in HRV and he's dead (entire run recorded for posterity on YouTube) ... I genuinely hate that map.

Any difficulty level, spawning into HRV and I instantly suicide or hit escape and cancel the save.

17 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

Honestly, it was so much terrifyingly miserable fun that I can't wait to do it again.

This is the attitude!

For me, HRV starts with hard game settings (I never use the pre-sets anymore) is like going back to when I first played TLD - struggling to survive each hour, each day, dying a lot but trying to improve the next time. Then when you know the map a little better, struggling to resist the temptation to get to the exit as fast as possible! It's fun in a different way to a 'normal', longer-term survival run.

I think the layout of HRV is the most challenging of any map until you learn it but the wolf in the cave never gets eaiser. @NardoLoopa keep getting back on that Looper horse, it's so worth it. Conversely I'm playing Interloper but denying myself most indoor locations (See 'Outerloper') and that make HRV great as none of the loot locations are off limits. Don't give up, making a success of a bar situation is what this games all about!

Guest jeffpeng

My longest "Snowball" in HRV lasted almost 15 days. I must admit I love the map with all of my heart and it is my favorite place to be in TLD. It's terribly tough, though, and it requires you some counter-intuitive game play like trapping the wolf in the cave behind a fire, making unintended hikes around scrubs, and you need to have expert knowledge about the map before attempting it on Interloper. But I find my current Snowball in TWM much harder, for different reasons.

Archived