Spoilers: What game exploits should be removed from the game

Looper

28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Yes, I'll assume that's how it was designed because that's how it works.  Do you know otherwise?  If the developers have stated somewhere that the game is not designed to work this way, I'd call it a bug, or part of the game that is not finished.  We don't know every decision that went into the planning and development of this game, and the side-effects of those decisions.  Maybe the calorie issue is one the developers didn't like, but left it this way because of other factors.  Who knows?

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

From an objective point of view, fixing them would make the game better.

This is the point. It really doesn't matter if it was intentional or not at some point. We all try to make the game better - some by suggesting new wildlife others adjusted mechanics.  

(I doubt it however it was intentional - why make a caloriemeter to show burned calories pr. day while allowing 1/3 consumed with very little consequence. Doesn't make sense. Seems like a simple scaling problem; the damage from starvation in one day makes sense but continued starvation doesn't). 

Edited by Looper
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 2018-08-12 at 4:39 AM, Looper said:

Agreed - at least a insta-kill-zone should be added to the slope down from the top to avoid this. 

It wouldn't be complicated to do it just for the summit - just check if the player is within a certain height range and not on the rope.

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, Trunks_Budo said:

Most of these exploits have never been addressed... This game is dead now. Still no bear traps, or forging spears, the only way to kill a bear safely is to exploit its pathing by climbing a tree. They do not, I repeat, do not, care about the gameplay experience.

Such a sad story. You poor thing.

These are the ones I think the game would be improved by removing.

• Meat never truly spoiling. As i've said before and will say again, there more interesting survival decisions when food actually spoils. Such as having to time hunts and doing  food rotations. (including fish)
  • So you know how if you hunt one thing to often it's supposed to take longer to respawn. Well right now that effect is so minimal it might as well not even exist. In fact if hinterland did remove it 98% of players wouldn't even notice. this goes along with the first. One having to cycle through food sources or have multiple camps would give players in the mid game at least one routine breaking thing to do. The rate of decay should depend on difficulty of course and I do mean rate of decay. The respawn time should be exponentially decreasing as to give some leeway in the early game, but set unattentive players up for disaster later.
  •  Bait should have to be preemptive and not be effective at the last moment. This would make it where the build up to fight offers another tactical decision for the player even if they are just fleeing.
  • Make the direction thing face when dropped random so that navigating in a blizzard is actually challenging. 

Most of the other ones either get solved by my suggestions or aren't really an issue. I'm sure there's some I'm not thinking about right now though.

• Upvote 1

I♡xploits

1 hour ago, RegentRelic said:
  • Bait should have to be preemptive and not be effective at the last moment. This would make it where the build up to fight offers another tactical decision for the player even if they are just fleeing. i think it's a fair game. You drop a 1,000calorie piece of meat. That seems like a fair sacrifice to get the wolf off your arse!
  • Make the direction thing face when dropped random so that navigating in a blizzard is actually challenging. don't drop things when navigating in the blizzard👍

Edited by Stinky socks

Closing the thread. 

@Trunks_Budohas had their posting access removed due to their continued insults directed towards players and developers. 

Constructive criticism helps improve The Long Dark but complaints that amount to “you devs are lazy idiots who don’t care” is just a waste of everyone’s time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• Admin locked this topic