Auto move button

DeLe

You can't deny, sometimes you have to walk for a really long time, especially between two different locations. And once I caught myself thinking about my stiffened finger, that keeps button «W» pressed. One thing could make your long transits much easier is auto move button, like in Skyrim or PUBG. I would really appreciate this simple innovation.

• Upvote 4

If you're using a PC, there are some older discussions in the forums about using AutoHotkey, and some attachments for pressing a key to continue walking.  It works great, I use it all the time.  You should be able to find the discussions with a search, if you're interested.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think that playing a video game ought to injure a person. I also have experienced the pain of holding down the go forward button. In fact it gets so bad that many times i just fold up a bit of card stock and ram it into the cracks on my keyboard between the "W" and the "S" if you hold the "W" down and then wiggle it back and forth a bit the "S" will pop up leaving the "W" depressed. If it were not for that then i think i would have stopped playing a long time ago.

So yea an auto walk would be really nice thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I've done a lot of walking in this game and holding down the W key for a long time does sometimes feel like it's flattening out your finger. Especially in strong headwinds, for some reason my brain just wants me to press harder! Auto walk FTW. World of Warcraft has the feature and it works great for walking long distances.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

It is getting cold here in the northern hemisphere so once again I'd like to bump an auto-walk feature for those of us with accessibility issues. 

On the one hand I can only play for a half hour at a time.

On the other hand Episode 3 will last that much longer for me.   So... silver lining?

• Upvote 1

Found an easy auto-walk 'feature' with no install of software other than the regular Steam application and The Long Dark vanilla game.

Steam has a dashboard and to access that dashboard the key combination of SHIFT and TAB is used.

While you are sprinting in game press TAB to see the sun dial, hold the three keys just a little longer and the Steam Dashboard pops.  In the background the character is now running automagically.  Press ESCAPE key to minimize the Steam Dashboard.  Also press the Tab key otherwise to the game the TAB key is held and by tapping it once it will release.  Same goes for the SHIFT key otherwise your sprint bar will not replenish.  To stop autowalk tap the W key.  To pause autowalk press and hold the S key.

• Upvote 1

I am surprised that Hinterland hasn't done something about this.  Surely it is not all that big a job to add another key to the controls.  I'd prefer to see "T" used to convert a depressed "W" to auto-walk, and a following use of "W" or "T" to cancel auto-walk.  I suggest "T" because it is convenient key to dab when your finger is already on "W".

• Upvote 1

Well, I've had luck with two solutions.  Third party software to control key bindings and macros can achieve this fairly simply...
However, I prefer the low-tech solution:

I just put a large steel ball bearing on my 'W' key when I want to auto-walk.  :D

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2