Greetings from the frozen shore of Newcastle, UK

Strider

So I thought I'd introduce myself and sneak my question in at the bottom. See how I like to live dangerously?

I'm a 39 year old man from the UK. I've known about TLD since it was announced on Kickstarter some time back. I knew right away that this had the potential to be something special. I've played games all my life so now I like any game as long as it's made well. If it does something different then I'll most likely enjoy it. If it copy-pastes from another game than I probably won't. It depends (as said) how well it's been made.

I love to have an open and frank discussion. Be that about games, movies, space travel or cupcakes. I will try to engage with you on your level. I don't know a lot about any one subject but I tend to know bits and bobs about a few different things.

I didn't back the Kickstarter but that's not a reflection upon the project, I just don't do Kickstarter personally, but I'm pleased it's met it's goal.

I've come to appreciate games of this type of late. I've enjoyed the following and recommend them to you. They're pretty common knowledge and I'm sure you know about them already anyway.

Project Zomboid - stupid name, terrific game even in it's infancy. Much like TLD.

DayZ - The mod is far better (at present)

Although not strictly survivalist games they do have that theme even if it's not their focus like it would appear with TLD.

I've just leafed through the introductions and there are posts from Paris, Austria, Australia and Germany. This makes me really happy, to see a game so well supported and from across the globe so to hello to all my distance cousins.

I mentioned a question and here it is. I've been playing just today and so far I've lasted 2 days. This is my second go and I'm doing very well this time.

I'm curious as to how long my fellow TLD players have lasted. What's the record so far, does anyone know?

Lastly, I've not actually bought the game yet although I plan too but put away your torches and pitchforks though lovely people, I've been using the family sharing feature of Steam to check it out.

Welcome! Space travel eh? Excited for the Philae landing on the comet in a 2 days?! I can't wait...

I've only lasted 30 days so far. I am well prepared to last another 7 until I need to relocate and hunt some game. As for the record of longest days... Don't check the leaderboards on steam. Some have exploited some things to make it seem they have lasted 20,000 hours. A few, if not most of the older members on these forums, are well past 100 days. That seems legit to me if you prepare in the game correctly!

Welcome! Space travel eh? Excited for the Philae landing on the comet in a 2 days?! I can't wait...

I'm certainly intrigued. I've not been keeping up with it I've only picked up bits and bobs which I've read from reddit. It's certainly a monumental achievement and I'm interested to know what they learn from it. Preferably interstellar travel :P

I've only lasted 30 days so far. I am well prepared to last another 7 until I need to relocate and hunt some game. As for the record of longest days... Don't check the leaderboards on steam. Some have exploited some things to make it seem they have lasted 20,000 hours. A few, if not most of the older members on these forums, are well past 100 days. That seems legit to me if you prepare in the game correctly!

I will happily ignore Steam leaderboards. I didn't even know they existed. People who fake that sort of thing though, what a bunch of nobbers. 100 days, pretty impressive. I've managed to figure this out so far.

I need an axe to help forage for wood so I can melt ice/boil water. I think with that and tools I can make a snare. From there I have food and water and if I can remain accident free I could survive a little longer. My presently lady incarnation has no real weapons yet but she's well clothed with a very nice coat (it's important!)

If I can find an axe I think I can push on but without it I'm going to run out of food. I don't think the maps for TLD are very big. There's a question for you, I don't want to see the map because I think that ruins the game but I'd be interested in approximately how big they are?

Archived