hunter's blinds no longer save spots against animal attacks?

Polynomial-C

I'ts been a while since I last used a hunter's blind as a save spot against animal attacks so I don't know in which game version this has changed but...

Yesterday I decided to start a new Stalker game on Mystery Lake (that's the map I know best) and while harvesting a deer carcass at the Unnamed Pond a bear appraoched me. Since he was veeery close to me when harvesting finished I ran to the hunter's blind in the hope that the bear would start running away as in similar situations in older game versions. But no, once the bear arrived, he mauled me through the hunter's blind floor(!) and I got severly injured.

This just reminded me of a similar situation in game version 0.393 where a bear charged me through the Misanthrope's Homested house on Costal Highway. He literally went through the house before I got mauled.

Anybody knows if this is a bug? It's rather irritating (and quite frustrating) if wildlife is not subject to the same map barriers as the player.

It's been this way for some time. Actually I find it more realistic since a bear would have no trouble mauling you in a blind.

Animal pathing gives plenty of options for exploiting as is. 

No need for change IMO.

• Upvote 2

Yeah some changes have been made I think for the better in regards to this.. porches are no longer safe as they shouldn't be.. the only place I have not noticed a change (thusfar) is at the Quonset... you can't tell me those two fuel pumps would keep out a wolf or bear

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Looper said:

It's been this way for some time.

This screenshot is from one of my very favorite fatal mistakes from long ago.
I was looking through the window cut into the fishing hut door, trying to locate the nearby wolves, and this Alpha jumped at the window and sent my character into the long dark. 

20170913141210_1.jpg

Good luck my friends! :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Them coming through the sides of the fishing hut is a long standing bug, and one I really am not fond of. Hunting blinds fine, but a fishing hut with a door should be able to keep a wolf off of you and keep bears from clipping through the side of the wall and eating you. Sure, a bear could probably get in there, but that's not how it should happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Personally, I'm glad.  I think this is good.
I've always thought fishing huts (without doors), and hunting blinds should not be safe.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

19 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

For that matter, wouldn't they be able to attack you at a lookout tower as well?  Just need to climb the stairs...

The timber wolves absolutely can climb the stairs. :)  I had to shoot one that got half way up the tower.
I've also seen a moose stomp a player in a hunting blind as well (thought admittedly the moose getting up the steps looked really buggy :D).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I once got attacked by a bear on a balcony. I thought that the bear's hitbox was too big to make it around four tight corners, but apparently it wasn't. It did take the bear some time to navigate.... got to say, that's some pretty good pathfinding AI, Hinterland.

Wildlife clipping through structures, however, is still something which needs fixing; I once got mauled by a bear inside the Mountaineer's Hut with the door closed because of this. I'm OK with a wolf/bear/moose attacking you in a hunting blind by climbing up the stairs, but not by clipping through the floor.

There's still lots of ways to avoid predators, though... if you do manage to get into an area only accessible by crouching, you won't ever be attacked. And, of course, there's still the old trick of running over an embankment.