AI and Physics

haidergill

Hi,

I haven't seen to much discussing the the AI and physics of the world. These are the two major factors that will lead to the greatest sense of immersion and allow people to connect to the world. The music, graphics and atmospherics are also part of that but TLD will need the AI and physics to provide the bones on which the meat of the game will be crafted.

Thanks

Haider

PS

I'm a backer now, backed this morning (GMT)...

Guest Alan Lawrance

Hi Haider -- thanks for backing!

AI is going to be critical for the gameplay in The Long Dark. I would say physics (in the sense of a lot of moving objects that react realistically with each other) is not a focus for the game. We won't be simulating the physics of splitting wood with an axe, building structures that can collapse, etc.

Of course we want smooth/responsive player movement, accurate collision detection, and realistic physics for the things that do move (such as flares which can be thrown). And in fact we have all of these things in the game now.

The AI for the game is a large topic, so perhaps there are some specific questions you can ask, and we can try to answer them. We are very much taking the approach of not having shooting-gallery AI. We want interactions with NPCs to be a lot more interesting than just pulling a trigger.

Of course the wildlife ecosystem in the game is an important part of the game AI, and will offer some interesting gameplay that is differentiated from interactions with other survivors.

Hi Alan,

With regard to the AI of NPCs how can you capture that? That's where I see the greatest challenge for TLD. It's going to be the richness of the interaction with other human. For the most of it you would want to avoid contact but then with others you may let your guard down. It's easy to capture that emotion the poignant moments on celluloid with actors and get that across. For the player to make that emotional connection to the game/game-world for the inherent psychological aspects to be addressed the AI and atmosphere will be underpin that. It will be interesting to see the emotions and sensibilities the game will try to convey .

With regard to physics I mean the natural world and how it behaves rather than a narrower focus of mechanics - energy and forces.

Thanks

Haider

• Hinterland

Agreed that NPC interactions are going to be one of the major ways through which the player feels connected to the game world. It's definitely a challenge for us since we can't rely on big-budget cinematics and the usual type of heavy-handed storytelling techniques used in larger triple-A productions (as we're used to). So we'll depend more on mechanics to help the player feel immersed, and to care about these interactions.

Guest Alan Lawrance

In terms of the natural world and how it behaves -- yes, that is an area we are putting a lot of effort into. A good example is wind -- it has a speed an direction, and that affects how it sounds, the windchill, and the snow effects (e.g., you can judge wind speed/direction by blowing snow). We even simulate taking shelter from the wind to reduce the effects of windchill (and that depends on the wind direction and whether the wind is blocked by an obstruction).

Wait until you get caught in a blizzard. :)

• 1 month later...
Agreed that NPC interactions are going to be one of the major ways through which the player feels connected to the game world. It's definitely a challenge for us since we can't rely on big-budget cinematics and the usual type of heavy-handed storytelling techniques used in larger triple-A productions (as we're used to). So we'll depend more on mechanics to help the player feel immersed, and to care about these interactions.

Don't worry Raphael sometimes it's the limits placed on that brings out your creativity and leads to revolution. Judging by what I have seen you are already stepping out of the box, just run with it and see where it takes you. Obviously you are a group of very talented individuals/group and realize when you can break the rules in a successful way.

• 3 weeks later...

A-*General Questions

1-Can't we craft items?, Tables chairs?

2-If they're available at "some" camps can we interact with them?

3-Can we craft clothes? from fox's fur or something? (Limit crafting abilities, like making it too hard to find thread or something)

4-Can we craft weapons to hunt like Spear / Axe? can they be found at some camps to loot?

5-Can animals injure?

6-Can camp fire injure?

7-Can plants be used to craft meds?

8-Can plants be Poisonous and others beneficial (Slow down loss rate of calories or hunger etc - sharpness) ?

9-Baby animals ?

10-Can we take pets? like leeching a puppy off some dogs pack somewhere( YES PLEASE o.O:D ) that can help fight, keep company.. that would grow and die and be lost permanently.

11-Random stuff - notes etc.. found in random camps to complete the story? (Somehow like slender-man although you're fighting environment no stupid beast)

12-After getting done with a story you start in another map or from other distant camp randomly with note's places changing ?

13-Injuries can affect character movement ? Health status (Tired / hungry) etc..

14- Can eat raw, but not in big quantities ? and need to cook to eat more ? Eating raw could tire you out?

15- Build fence ?

16- Hunt animals (Like sheep or goats) and keep them in a fence? lose them into a storm ? or eaten by foxes / wolves ?

17- Hunt birds? keep them in cages, that could be found at camps, indoor ? For food or for tweets.

B-*Multiplayer

1-Will it be online? can we meet other players?

2-Being fatigue causes us to walk slower ? (Look like being fatigues, all the back hump and shaky looks - if seen by other players)

3-Can players offer food to help a wanderer ?, lets say lost or something..

4-If you can meet other players, would it be like servers that has a capacity of a certain number of players that would get relocated up on disconnecting ?

5-lets say a map has 24 camps, will there be something to tie us to camps that lets say I'm player NAME in camp Z.. no other player tied to camp Z can spawn in my camp (Z) on the same map ?

6-Will something tie players to get back to their camp specifically ? like we can share camp fire for heat but they can't use my bed to sleep they have to get to their camp?

7-Can we interact by waving, asking for help or something by a gesture or something.

8-Chat?

9-Maybe online should be like (Seeing hollows of other players nearby but not be able to interact) - shouldn't be visible if in same camp. There was a game like that on playstation 3 (Looks like skyrim somehow) but i totally lost the name :(

10- Trade crafted items with other players? Clothes or accessories.

----------

Sorry if some of my questions are weird, or off the game's idea.. I'm thinking loud that's all and i would LOVE to see most of these stuff in game.

I have hopes up high on this!

Is it fine to post alike later on in here when i get more ideas? or where to? Thanks.

Sorry if the too much questions bored you guys ^^, I would of posted more but i guess i went too far haha! :D

Mo.Ghazy

Archived