New cooking system is a total disaster.

Sunwolf

On 8/31/2018 at 11:18 AM, Thrasador said:

Or maybe as your cooking/fire skill goes up you can apply up to six hot stones around your fire instead of just two?

Love this. Though I don't think it should ever reach 6. 4 max, imo. Keep that huge 6 slot internal stove as a rare commodity. That and, the campfire shouldn't get too many perks to make it preferable to other cooking surfaces. Perhaps the fire barrel and fireplace should also allow 4 with skill acquisition. Pot belly stove and furnace maybe max out at 2? 3 tops.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:49 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

Well, at least we don;t have to use time and burn calories, to wander around, dig our stones and rocks buried in snow and ice, then lug them back to our campsite, before we can even build a fire. I mean, if we want more "realism", we can ask Hinterland to add that bit, and see how "great" it is, to spend hours in the snow, finding stones and then assembling the fire ring, before we can make a 4 cooking spot mega bonfire.

In "real life" I wouldn't gather any rocks at all to make a firepit in the first place. It would be a complete waste of time and energy. No, instead I would just make a pit for a fire in the best place I can find and not worry about stones. Anything I'd want to cook could still be cooked next to (or over) the fire, and if I needed something to cook on, then I may retrieve a stone or two purely for that purpose, but other options would surely be available as well.

Edit: Should clarify that I'd still find a large stone or something else that won't burn to start the fire on in the first place. I'd still go through the effort of making it as much of a pit as possible and if stones are easily accessible to support that I'd use them, but if not, I'd push the snow back as much as possible and maybe use some wood to help accomplish that.

21 hours ago, Soul Sojourner said:

Love this. Though I don't think it should ever reach 6. 4 max, imo. Keep that huge 6 slot internal stove as a rare commodity. That and, the campfire shouldn't get too many perks to make it preferable to other cooking surfaces. Perhaps the fire barrel and fireplace should also allow 4 with skill acquisition. Pot belly stove and furnace maybe max out at 2? 3 tops.

In "real life" I wouldn't gather any rocks at all to make a firepit in the first place. It would be a complete waste of time and energy. No, instead I would just make a pit for a fire in the best place I can find and not worry about stones. Anything I'd want to cook could still be cooked next to (or over) the fire, and if I needed something to cook on, then I may retrieve a stone or two purely for that purpose, but other options would surely be available as well.

Maybe the current system will all change once we get primitive firemaking?

I hope that for at least the near future, they consider upgrading the cooking slots from 2 to 4 around the fireplace- it's really odd that we have all these stones, yet only 2 can be used for cooking :|

Archived