Bear didn't bleed out

Pisces0314

You're welcome.

If the bear has you seemingly trapped in a building, you can wait a few minutes then go through the door (transition) while crouching (you have to be crouching before you transition) which minimizes detection range.  If the bear is too close for comfort you can spin on your heels and hit the transition to go back inside.  Otherwise, you can wave goodbye to the bear wandering away, hopefully leaving tracks and blood drops behind, or maybe peg it with another shot with safe retreat right behind you.  

Be careful.  You know the bear wants to discuss your shooting it and express its displeasure rather physically.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

Be careful.  You know the bear wants to discuss your shooting it and express its displeasure rather physically.  

Wonderful advice, and further explanation of the complicated bleed out bug mechanics. Thank you so much!

And thank you for a bloody good chuckle, a little snort laugh escaped in public at your last comment 😄😁

Guest jeffpeng
On 10/4/2022 at 9:16 PM, UTC-10 said:

Multiple shots (arrows or bullets) serve the player by each having a chance to score a critical hit (instant kill) otherwise they do not do much more unless one gets a more serious bleed but one never really knows.

I'm not entirely sure this is accurate. I was always under the impression that animals have some sort of "HP" which you can actually deplete. Wolves, for instance, after a struggle with even "just" a blunt force weapon (Revolver, Pry Bar, Hammer) usually die from even a very not critical shot to their left hind leg. Wounded bears, especially after limping around for a while, hardly every take more than two shots from a bow before calling it quits. Moose, after having stuffed them a bit and a "disengage" (albeit involving being run over by it or not) take notably less shots to their impressive tuchus to give in.

Maybe someone with actual code knowledge can pitch in and clarify this.

Guest jeffpeng
12 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I also noted this behavior numerous times. It also makes me think how in the good old days people just laid waste to their differences by.... laying waste to each other. Today even bears want to talk it out and complain how you hurt their feelings. I'm really getting old.

21 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Today even bears want to talk it out and complain how you hurt their feelings. I'm really getting old.

😅😅😅

Jeff, I know what you mean. I am definitely feeling like an old(er) lady these days!

Especially when the Bear by the ML Cave in Pleasant Valley was most vociferous in his displeasure with me hiding outside his cave. After his first tantrum he didn't even give me chance to recover before yet again shouting the odds.

Fortunately I managed to crawl away before he ranted again. Enough mate, enough. I heard you the first two times!

Edited by Sgt Socks

21 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Maybe someone with actual code knowledge can pitch in and clarify this.

I'd be grateful for anyone pitching in with more information. Bears are most definitely my nemesis in TLD and any small assistance in learning how to take them down will earn... I was going to say my undying gratitude. But undying is absolutely wrong. I *do* keep dying! 🤷‍♀️😁

Even after all these years playing the game I still haven't quite got the knack with them. And they are scarrrryyyy.

Edited by Sgt Socks

Guest jeffpeng
48 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

I was going to say my undying gratitude. But undying is absolutely wrong. I *do* keep dying!

The idea is that the gratitude itself is undying, not the gratifier (?). However: sometimes bears freeze you up so hard even your gratitude gets a hit. 🤷‍♂️

49 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Even after all these years playing the game I still haven't quite got the knack with them. And they are scarrrryyyy.

They are supposed to be 😄 

12 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

The idea is that the gratitude itself is undying, not the gratifier (?). However: sometimes bears freeze you up so hard even your gratitude gets a hit. 🤷‍♂️

This is a very good point sir. My gratitude to you will do its best to be undying! 

12 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

They are supposed to be 😄 

Again another good point! Makes me feel better hearing it from someone else though.  I've always been a pretty fearless gamer, always the one running into a fight.

But the bears... I think it is in big part due to the immersive quality of the game. And the fact they have cloaking devices and can seemingly appear from nowhere 😳

Guest jeffpeng
6 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

I've always been a pretty fearless gamer, always the one running into a fight.

I can relate. I remember when I started playing this game I had, I think, 7 or 8 straight games I just died in mystery lake in the first few days - to wolves. Because I didn't understand how to fight them. Then it started to dawn on me that I am not supposed to. I mean you can, and if you know how quite successfully (at least on not-interloper), but if you fight every wolf you see you will lose this war of attrition sooner or later.

Bears are that principle turned to max. You literally cannot fight them. You can shoot them from afar, you can evade them, you can try to run, and you have a few tricks you can pull so you get them to back off. But when it comes to actual "combat" .... there is none. You just have to take the beating, and that's something both deeply humiliating and frighteningly oppressive. Plus there is a real chance the run is over or at least severely compromised.

So there definitively is a psychological aspect to bears, and I am 100% certain this is absolutely intended.

6 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

But the bears... I think it is in big part due to the immersive quality of the game. And the fact they have cloaking devices and can seemingly appear from nowhere

Do they? They usually announce themselves quite prominently - or at least the invisible flock of carrion birds every bear seems to drag across the island.

23 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Especially when the Bear by the ML Cave in Pleasant Valley was most vociferous in his displeasure with me hiding outside his cave. After his first tantrum he didn't even give me chance to recover before yet again shouting the odds.

I've also learned this the hard way but have found a (so far) fail-safe solution - always stay crouched.  I've woken up numerous times so close to a sleeping bear, which came back to his cave, I could see the ticks in his fur!

• Upvote 1

Bears are that principle turned to max. You literally cannot fight them. You can shoot them from afar, you can evade them, you can try to run, and you have a few tricks you can pull so you get them to back off. But when it comes to actual "combat" .... there is none. 

Everything you said was spot on but these sentences especially. I've had to relearn my approach completely. Being careful and sneaky was never my strong point. But I'm getting much better. 

The trouble I have is "Bear Fever". Even when you know you can't get a good enough position or the conditions are right you still try your luck, the lure of that pelt! These episodes rarely end without (my) bloodshed!

I really like how Hinterland have done this. And with the wolves. It makes the game completely different and a real challenge. Even a pro can end up getting mauled. 

On 10/7/2022 at 3:12 PM, jeffpeng said:

Do they? They usually announce themselves quite prominently - or at least the invisible flock of carrion birds every bear seems to drag across the island.

On the whole, yes you are right they do. But I have genuinely had times when there has been no warning. It usually happens with the PV bear near the ML cave who goes up to Signal Hill and the bear at Unnamed Pond in ML.

Although the Unnamed Bear only did this to me on this run. I'd spent nearly 24 hours sitting on top of his cave and he didn't show. I waited all night and he didn't come back. I kept checking around the next day and still no sign.

2 days later I'm walking carefully, listening, just on the outskirts of Frozen Creek. I heard nothing, saw nothing. I had kept stopping to listen. Then I heard a roar and he was right in front of me! It was seriously like he decloaked. I needed a new pair of snow pants for two reasons after just surviving that encounter 🙁

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I've also learned this the hard way but have found a (so far) fail-safe solution - always stay crouched.  I've woken up numerous times so close to a sleeping bear, which came back to his cave, I could see the ticks in his fur!

Bloody hell mate! You've got nerves of steel! 😳

So you can be crouched when sleeping? That I didn't know.

But I won't be trying it out to quite that extent. I feel sick at just the thought! 🙁

19 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Always stay crouched.

This I am finally, finally learning...

(I've only played 900 hours 🤦‍♀️🙈)

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Sgt Socks said:

The trouble I have is "Bear Fever". Even when you know you can't get a good enough position or the conditions are right you still try your luck, the lure of that pelt! These episodes rarely end without (my) bloodshed!

Never engage in combat on the enemies terms or turf. I know it takes some discipline to resist such temptations, but sheer, greedy opportunism will get you killed - in TLD and in life alike. If you come across a bear which you didn't plan to engage don't. At least not at first.

Run a quick list in your head: Do I have what I need to engage the bear successfully with relative safety - meaning a long range weapon with at least 5 rounds/arrows left and a flare? Can I afford this delay / detour from my original plan? Does the weather even permit exploiting a successfully downed bear? Will I the bear path towards a position that is advantageous to me? Do I have enough firewood on me to afford an at least 3 hour stay in the wild? Do I have at least two bandages on me and a fall back location within reach if things go totally awry and I get mauled?

If, and only if you can answer all these questions with a resounding yes go for it. Otherwise it's much better to get to a safe location, regroup, and if you still feel like it pursue the bear once you meet the conditions to do so successfully. Bears have relatively large areas of action, but most can be tracked fairly easily, especially if you know where they have their den.

58 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

But sheer, greedy opportunism will get you killed - in TLD and in life alike.

As a person in real life I am absolutely not greedy or opportunist. I am quiet, unassuming and do not enjoy confrontation.

In games I often take on a role opposite to who I am.

So I am learning that instead of running in like a Valkyrie I will be something else I am not in real life...

Patient!

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

If, and only if you can answer all these questions with a resounding yes go for it. Otherwise it's much better to get to a safe location, regroup, and if you still feel like it pursue the bear once you meet the conditions to do so successfully. Bears have relatively large areas of action, but most can be tracked fairly easily, especially if you know where they have their den.

This is really excellent advice. And gratifying because I am already learning to do most of these things. I actually liked sitting on top of Rope Bear's cave in PV with my firewood and waiting for him to amble up and shoot him, knowing exactly which way I would run if the weather turned fast (it was PV after all).

Just to clarify, I didn't engage Unnamed Bear on Frozen Creek. He literally was on me before I even had chance to hear the roar. I only had time to pull my rifle and get one quick shot off.

And usually my Bear Fever is when I am freezing to death and desperately need the coat or bedroll. I'd much rather not engage them anymore knowing that it is not a move to be made if one wishes to have a long run! It was mainly my technique that failed me rather than going Kamikaze.

Learning their patterns I find quite difficult but I know the dens well. Some I avoid because I can't work out a safe spot to take pot shots at them from. I'm fortunate that across the map there are enough Bear spawns that I can at least get enough for the coat and an extra pelt for remaking.

I've also learned that getting a couple of good shots in while they don't see you crouched, retreating to a safe outdoor space and waiting for them to bleed out is the best approach.

I struggled with Ash Bear because of the way it was all set up, I couldn't see how to do it stealthily. Next time, if I do have to dive into the cabin, I'll come straight back out... crouched

Guest jeffpeng

Fun thing about the Ash Bear .... I just had a run in with it. In bad lighting conditions I got too close and yeah..... had it running at me. Got two shots off from the Rifle (Stalker run) ... and the second seemed to scare it off. Or was it my Bear Coat? No idea. I just chuckled at that situation, giving pro level advice here, and then having a shoot out with a bear myself 😄

It ended with the bear getting shot in the backside two more times. But that run could have taken a pretty bad turn right there. So .... you can have 4000 hours in TLD and still mess these things up big time. Or... get lucky.

9 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Fun thing about the Ash Bear .... I just had a run in with it. In bad lighting conditions I got too close and yeah..... had it running at me. Got two shots off from the Rifle (Stalker run) ... and the second seemed to scare it off. Or was it my Bear Coat? No idea. I just chuckled at that situation, giving pro level advice here, and then having a shoot out with a bear myself 😄

It ended with the bear getting shot in the backside two more times. But that run could have taken a pretty bad turn right there. So .... you can have 4000 hours in TLD and still mess these things up big time. Or... get lucky.

*chuckles and sniggers*

Oh you've made my day! 😁

Isn't it always the way?  You spend time giving "pro advice" on something then end making a complete hash of things.

The Ash bear is a tricky one though.  It's really difficult to take on or get away from if things aren't exactly right.

I think the fact that you can have all the hours in the world in TLD but still have this ultimate vulnerability is one of the major strengths of the game. One of the reasons I do and would keep coming back to it where others lose their appeal.  Fallout for example.  I also have a deep affection for the game but (other major issues aside, Bethesda) there comes a point you are so OP there is pretty much nothing that can ruin your day, even boss Deathclaws.

In TLD you don't need a boss Deathclaw.  All you need is a Bear.

(after you've given advice on how to tackle them 😄).

Guest jeffpeng
9 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

I think the fact that you can have all the hours in the world in TLD but still have this ultimate vulnerability is one of the major strengths of the game. One of the reasons I do and would keep coming back to it where others lose their appeal.  Fallout for example. 

While I guess part of the "fantasy" of games like Fallout is exactly that. But you're right in that the fact that in TLD the stakes always remain high and you always can - and probably, eventually will - find your demise behind the next corner helps tremendously with keeping every moment "relevant". I guess both approaches have their appeal, but the latter clearly is the more sustainable one.

@jeffpeng

🤣🤣🤣🤣 🤣🤣🤣🤣 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh you have to see this!!! I'll post it in screenshots too but it absolutely belongs in this thread. There is a reason for the emoji spam... I don't have the words to express how much I am still laughing.  It has been a long time since I truly, with absolute gusto burst out laughing, a proper belly laugh with snorts and tears and totally unladylike behaviour.  But this did it...

From all the serious and technical conversations about bears bleeding out, to the glitches, to the excellent advice on how to approach killing them without dying yourself. Then your really funny admission of a hairy moment with the Ash bear.

TO THIS...

The Lake Bear in ML.  I was so grumpy because I did everything I was supposed to, one shot while crouched then slept in the fishing hut.  The log said he had died in the morning. I could not find his body, I couldn't hear any birds.  I almost gave it up as a glitch and then I found... *bursts out laughing hysterically again* 🤣.... I FOUND THIS!!!

screen_ead0c2b9-b00b-42a3-8448-dec312aebaa9_hi.png

screen_fc45b5b6-327e-4daa-987d-55662be8fce9_hi.png

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

All banter aside, I've never seen something this hilarious.

Like .... go home bear, you're drunk.

Stop it! I still can't stop laughing at your comment on the screenshot thread 😄 My face hurts! This has been making me giggle non stop.

I think he needed a drink, I was cooking his own meat in front of him, left on the ground before I got to 5 cooking the last time I killed him.

It was dark, I was crouched and I shot him in the face. I guess it was all too much 😁

I bloody LOVE THIS GAME!

Edited by Sgt Socks
Can't spell for laughing
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

It was dark, I was crouched and I shot him in the face. I guess it was all too much 😁

I bloody LOVE THIS GAME!

I had a post a while back in which I claimed that The Long Dark was one of the best games ever made - an assessment I stalwartly stand by. I didn't put it in words quite ecstatic as yours, but I think I had that point somewhere in there 😅

8 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I didn't put it in words quite ecstatic as yours, but I think I had that point somewhere in there 😅

What can I say? I turn into a mad Spaniel when excited or enthusiastic 🤷‍♀️😁

8 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I had a post a while back in which I claimed that The Long Dark was one of the best games ever made - an assessment I stalwartly stand by.

Sir, I will be your Support Stalwart.

I started gaming in the early 80s and have been passionate about it ever since.  Sure there have been other games which have commanded my absolute attention but when everything is taken into account, I honestly can't think of a game which tops TLD.

From wandering in a stunning landscape, lost for words at its beauty. To the next moment having your heart in your mouth because you hadn't been paying attention and walk into a wolf, bear or moose. To when you are paying attention, and have vast experience, yet still deathly peril is only one small mistake away. To being able to live another life, relying solely on your own company and capacity. To being able to create your own custom experience based on your preferences.

Sure there are frustrations and some things I would really like to see changed, but nothing is ever perfect. They don't matter in the grand scheme.

When you are having a bad day and the game throws something at you like a drunk mortar bear which literally still makes you laugh the next day? I know of no other game which offers or has offered so much.

I could wax lyrical for hours. My short and enthusiastic sentence says it all! 😁

Edited by Sgt Socks
I must learn to actually wear my glasses
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...