"Base" Inventory

jnbixler

Picked up the game during the Steam summer sale and loving it so far; So far just one modest suggestion for UI/Gameplay: Allow use of stored items in an indoor structure without having them in your inventory. To elaborate:

When I start a new Survival game my first goal (as I'm sure many people's is) is to find a "home base": An indoor place with a firebox and enough storage to keep all the fortuitous finds that the player doesn't need all the time (extra prybar, for example).

Usually I try to stock this base up with not only secondary/crafting items, but enough firewood, food, water, etc. to take care of any needs my survivor has when he/she returns there. It would be great if I could make use of the things I've stocked up without having to go and specifically put them in my inventory: So, for example, if I have 12 cedar firewood stocked up in a container in my "base", I could just put them directly into the fireplace instead of having to go to the container, put the firewood in my inventory, and then return to the fire and feed the firewood to it.

There's a number of examples where this would make things easier:

-Reading skill books from storage without having to "equip" them

-Using crafting supplies (cloth, leather, etc.) stored in the cupboard to mend clothes/gear

-Using tools like the can opener/cooking pot that are useful mostly in a "base" setting without having to specifically put them in inventory every time you visit the "base"

Mechanically speaking I don't think this would be too formidable, it would just be a matter of making all inventory from (explored) containers in the same interior available in the player's inventory screen; At the end of the day it would not affect the difficulty of the game, it would just remove a lot of extra clicking!

In any case, thanks to Hinterland for your efforts in creating a truly unique and enjoyable game! :)

Since i always deem utility improvements welcome you will naturally get my support for this.

In case you don´t know:
You can place certain items (like books, weapons, lanterns, etc) on prominent spots (like tables, furniture, etc.). Just drop them on the floor and select them with "right-click" again to move them around and place them with left-click. This way you will always be able to pick up items directly which allows for pressing spacebar to directly interact with those items. Books for example have the option to be researched by pressing space when picking them up.

Archived