Crash on laptop

Deerber

Hi all, long time TLD player here :)

Recently, my desktop has been experiencing issues, so I'm trying to play on my (pretty old) laptop. I'm getting very, very frequent crashes, which make the game unplayable and do not seem to have any recurring theme or reason.

While it may well be that my laptop is to aged t0o run this game, I thought I would check here with the devs in case it would actually be able to run but there's something preventing it.

Specifics of the machine: Intel i5-4200M @2.5 GHz, Windows 7 32 bit, 4 GB of RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4600 (I think it's integrated, so that's likely the issue?).

I'm trying to play at the lowest graphic settings possible, even lower than low (quarter texture size, even lower tree distance).

I'm attaching the debug log of the last crash.

Thank you! :)

error.log

If you take a look into your logfile it says 77% memory in use and only 771 MB free.

Most people (like me) who have only 4GB use Linux or WinXP - i don't know how much Win7 32 needs to run but i guess it's more than XP. I am saying this because you can lower the use of memory of Windows but i'm not sure if that helps with win7.

For me it looks like you are running out of memory after a while and that's why the game is crashing. Sadly you can't just upgrade the ram to 8GB because of the 32bit Windows that only supports 4GB no metter how much actually is installed. Maybe the devs know if you can tweak win7 or the game to be able to play.

3 hours ago, MueckE said:

If you take a look into your logfile it says 77% memory in use and only 771 MB free.

Most people (like me) who have only 4GB use Linux or WinXP - i don't know how much Win7 32 needs to run but i guess it's more than XP. I am saying this because you can lower the use of memory of Windows but i'm not sure if that helps with win7.

For me it looks like you are running out of memory after a while and that's why the game is crashing. Sadly you can't just upgrade the ram to 8GB because of the 32bit Windows that only supports 4GB no metter how much actually is installed. Maybe the devs know if you can tweak win7 or the game to be able to play.

I thought about that too. But then again, 77% isn't even close to 100%. If that's the reason of the crash, shouldn't that number be higher, around say, 99%?

Thanks for the reply, anyway :)

Hi @Deerber, thanks for your post. Your specs are right at the minimum requirements for the game, so it could easily be a system resources issue causing the crash you are seeing.

Have you already run through the troubleshooting steps posted here? If not, we recommend rebooting and  giving them a try. You might also want to disable any background apps or overlays running while you play.

No it means that of your total memory available you can use 23% - 771MB, the rest is used by Windows and applications/programs currently running. 771 MB is too little to run TLD, it is also below the minimum required.

If you disable all processes running in the background, shut down all programs that are not really needed (even anti virus etc.), so basicly a naked windows + you disable windows processes that are not needed (tweaking windows) + adjust how much ram is reserved exclusively to be used by windows, than TLD might run without crashing.

6 hours ago, MueckE said:

No it means that of your total memory available you can use 23% - 771MB, the rest is used by Windows and applications/programs currently running. 771 MB is too little to run TLD, it is also below the minimum required.

If you disable all processes running in the background, shut down all programs that are not really needed (even anti virus etc.), so basicly a naked windows + you disable windows processes that are not needed (tweaking windows) + adjust how much ram is reserved exclusively to be used by windows, than TLD might run without crashing.

Thank you both for your answers. Unfortunately, I alread ran through those troubleshooting steps linked.

I guess I'm left with trying to tweak windows to use less RAM. Any idea how I could do that and/or resources on the topic to read?

Archived