Realistic Sky dome

Beanie

The one we have is quite nice and all, but I think I'd prefer one that was a little less.... vivid, maybe.

Also, it might be nice (and useful for survival) if it reflected the actual constellations visible in the northern hemisphere. That way it would be helpful for navigation at night.

It's not a big deal, but every time I do go out at night in the game, I miss Orion!

Im all for the stars to reflect the actual night sky, but Im quiet happy with the stylized Skybox we have, sunrises and sunsets look like an oil painting.

Same here. I'm usually the guy who in most other games asks for a realistic skydome, actual moon phases etc. However these are high graphics 3D games.

The Long Dark is by design a pastel-cartoon looking game. I think having a complex realistic skydome would be a lot of work and I'm not sure how well it would mesh with the game's graphic style anyways.

I do think that adding some "landmark" starts or constellations is a good idea, especially the north star. This would be easier to implement and also serve a gameplay function (orientation).

I'm for realistic night sky in terms of Zodiac signs and stellar bodies, but this things have to be adjusted to the current game art. Why i would prefer this? Because we could orientate us accourding to the stellar signs and bodies and we could see better in full moon and cloudless sky (funny even after 80h playtime i don't know if this is so, because i went never outdoors during the night and looked exclusive onto this topic), but mostly because it also can teach some persons good skills through playing this game.

I don't know if it fits the graphics style but is sure could look nice.

And it's really not hard to make. I once programmed a 20,000 star starfield just by using a star database (I believe it was HYG). It has location vectors for all stars so all you need to do is read them in and place points or billboards, then adjust the brightness according to their magnitude (also from the data). It was just 3 days work, and it looked pretty realistic.

Archived