The Ravine

EternityTide

Has anyone actually managed to succesfully cross the Ravine yet? is it a myth that it connects the Coastal Highway to the Mystery Lake? I appreciate it is till in alpha, but I'm curious to see if it's really the case. I'm currently on my longest survival streak, so I don't want to screw it up by spelunking into a potential death trap for something that may not even exist.

Yeah, it exists. I've crossed it at least a couple of dozen times now, I'm constantly running back and forth between Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway. You do need to be careful though with the broken part of the bridge. Just take it slow and keep to the rails and you'll be fine. Although I've just read about people falling off while trying to cross it in a blizzard, so probably best to wait for fair weather...

Is there a map of this location?

I went longest run 57 days in coastal highway, but was unable to find a gun, hatchet or knife.

Ran out of food and had to go on a food quest which ended in wandering the mountains...

The campsite, these big timber channels (dam?) a frozen lake. found nothing.

57 days without those items, well good job there, Hunting knives you tend to find sticking out of the top of the tall cabinets, they are very easy to miss in the muted light of the interior of the houses. Hatchets I usually find next to frozen corpses in certain two story houses. The mostly likely place to find a gun is at the Abandoned Outlook. Also as a note, prybars can spawn behind toilets and are also easy to miss because of the color and patten of the bathroom floor

57 days without any proper tooling but still you cannot cross ravine? Seems strange.

Also sounds odd that you didnt manage to find any tooling. My question is how did you manage to survive that long? How did you manage to eat?

Trying to optimize the Eat/Sleep/Drink algo, basically. I find running around the map more fun though

It was the first day of Coastal Highway release, and the wolves were everywhere. So that kept me indoors a lot.

Lots of water in the toilets, and I would starve as much as possible. I tried to lose condition down to ~20%, then boost condition by eating/drinking/sleeping up to ~80% then repeat.

When I was running low on supplies, I would leave what place I was staying at ~80-100. Trying to never get to 100% condition

Would basically exhaust the supplies in each house before moving to the next. Saving maybe 1.5 days of water and not much food. Having hope I would find a gun somewhere.

Also little things like eating the food which had the worst calorie/weight ratio so supplies could be more efficiently lugged around.

It took me a really long time to find a can opener as well. I was smashing a low supply of my cans open for maybe a month, and hoarding a few in the petrol station locker for when I found a can opener (in one of the vacation cabins)

When I was desperate for food I had 6 odd cans of dog food to enjoy 100% of each can not spilling a drop YUM

57 days without those items, well good job there, Hunting knives you tend to find sticking out of the top of the tall cabinets, they are very easy to miss in the muted light of the interior of the houses. Hatchets I usually find next to frozen corpses in certain two story houses. The mostly likely place to find a gun is at the Abandoned Outlook. Also as a note, prybars can spawn behind toilets and are also easy to miss because of the color and patten of the bathroom floor

Top of tall cabinets! I thought I covered everywhere combing the houses and fishing huts with matches :lol:

I found a hatchet where a corpse was on my 2nd coastal highway drop in the rabbit keepers house

Didnt find a gun in abandoned outlook :(

Also found a prybar in the petrol station which was convenient as the lockers were there.

I realize that 57 day run I did run up the snowy road on the way to the ravine but didnt find it. I was too desperate on my 'food quest' and came back down the mountain because of a blizzard.

You can find the Ravine from the Coastal Highway:

[spoil]from the log sort, cross the tarmac road and take the road up into the mountains that veers off to the left. Follow this winding road until you hit the train tracks, follow the tracks to the left until you walk into a tunnel and are transferred to the Ravine.[/spoil]

And from Mystery Lake:

[spoil]Follow the railroad to the dam and beyond.[/spoil]

You can find the Ravine from the Coastal Highway:

[spoil]from the log sort, cross the tarmac road and take the road up into the mountains that veers off to the left. Follow this winding road until you hit the train tracks, follow the tracks to the left until you walk into a tunnel and are transferred to the Ravine.[/spoil]

And from Mystery Lake:

[spoil]Follow the railroad to the dam and beyond.[/spoil]

Thankyou!

I got dropped at this location start of a sandbox and explored the access point from both maps.

In my food quest run I nearly made the ravine but came back down the mountain as i walked in a dumb line and back because a blizzard started... sigh

I've heard several people say they fell in the ravine and died. But I don't know if all of them had bad weather. Some did.

For safeties sake, I always go when the weather is not too bad, so no blizzard, very high wind and no fog. And I never run across the broken part of the bridge. I've never fallen off this way.

I've been in in the ravine about 30 times now (a consequence of my voyages to the bottom), but I've never found blizzards or wind to affect my ability to cross the railway bridge. I've only found that they reduce your visibility and thus make it more likely that you accidentally stumble off.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived