New Weapon Select Idea

BIGwooly

I love this game!  Let me just preface with that.  One thing I'd like to see improved is how you select a weapon for a fight.

My suggestion is this.  Allow a player to equip any weapon at any time .. just as you can equip a rifle or a bow .. allow us to equip a knife or a hammer or a crowbar.  You can attribute a movement penalty for having a weapon equipped, to aid with balance and encourage players to not walk everywhere with a weapon out.  And if you're walking around with a rifle out and you get jumped you're stuck with fighting with your hands, etc.

I just lost a 43 day interloper game because I left a building (crouched) and there was apparently a wolf right next to the door.  I was attacked instantly, which I don't take issue with as it makes sense to me that wolves might be hanging around buildings sometimes.  What I take issue with is the fact that in real life I would be walking out with a weapon ready just in case.  In this case, the attack came so unexpectedly that I accidentally hit the "A" button to fight back and thus accidentally selected my hands to fight with ... even though I had a hammer, an improvised knife and hatchet, and a crowbar.  I don't mind dying in the game, it's inevitable.  But dying because I couldn't have a weapon ready or pre-selected just isn't fun or realistic.

Would love to see that select screen ditched and have the ability to actually equip a weapon instead.  Thanks!

I agree, and not wanting to be cocky but I wishlisted this as "ready weapon". My point was selecting a tool as your "weapon of choice" so in case of wolf attack you wouldn't even need to choose, representing the fact you'd carry it stuck in your belt instead of - ok, enough, of this, I'll just quote.

1 hour ago, Doc Feral said:

I agree, and not wanting to be cocky but I wishlisted this as "ready weapon". My point was selecting a tool as your "weapon of choice" so in case of wolf attack you wouldn't even need to choose, representing the fact you'd carry it stuck in your belt instead of - ok, enough, of this, I'll just quote.

I'm totally cool with this concept as well.  Anything to replace that timed select screen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yup, I also suggested this last year. I—without fail—forget that I need to select a weapon at the beginning of every Wolf Struggle, so always accidentally select my bare hands (the selection screen feels so out of context to me at the time that, even though I know it’s a thing, its presence always confuses me). And I see no reason why I wouldn’t equip my hatchet as I see the wolf run at me.

Upon reflection of my original suggestion, I can see how requesting to put the weapon directly in my hand while I explore could be a slippery slope leading to an overhaul of the melee fighting system (eg, “if it’s already in my hand, why can’t I swing with it?”). So perhaps the simpler solution would be to select a weapon as a “primary” one, which you default to in a Wolf Struggle, thus removing the weapon selection screen entirely?

Archived