Different packs

bret_hermsen

I'd like to see a system where you could change out you pack for different occasions. I was thinking along the lines of something like these:

• The default pack. Standard weight limit and speed
  • A smaller pack. Lower weight limit, but let's you travel faster since it's not as cumbersome.
  • A large frame pack. Designed for carrying large amounts of gear with a higher weight limit. Either slows you down or prevents you from running.
  • A more efficient pack. Same weight limit as the normal pack but designed with hooks/straps/loops that make some of your heavier equipment "seem" to weigh less (hachet, knife, crowbar, etc.)

Then you could switch them out for different occasions. Take the light pack, your gun and knife for going hunting when you want to move faster. The large pack would be for times like when you move your "base" from one area to another and want/need to take things you normally wouldn't with you (tools/repair items/large amounts of food). The efficient pack could be a rare item that you would replace you normal pack with.

Sorry about that. Late night of playing combined with a desire to get the idea down before I forgot it made me not go looking far enough back. I actually like your bigger pack ideas better. I was also thinking that the small pack would be a good one for when a new map/region came out for those adventurous members that like to do mapping. Help them get their jobs done faster/easier.

i dont think its an issue of how much a pack can hold, but rather how much weight you can carry before your knees give out and you face plant in the snow and a wolf grabs you. The standard for a fully loaded military backpack is around 65 lbs, granted those packs depending on the mission can weigh much much more, like over 100+ pounds. That said the folks in the military train in day in and day out to be able to carry that stuff and at best the player, although a pilot, is still a civilian so a 65 lbs back pack is about right for what a person could carry. That said I wish that the clothes you wear would either not count towards your max weight or would get a 50% weight reduction to the clothing you wear.

Apologies for any inconsistencies with the pack weights for military backpacks. I live in Britain and I sourced the weight capacity from British pattern armed forces combat packs, so I don't know whether British Armed Forces carry a heavier pack than the American Military (we work in metric over here, but the older generation prefer imperial, so there is a bit of a quibble over weights)

Archived