Water freezing when stored

tomas_herbertson

If the ambient temperature in buildings is just below freezing, I can't help but feel that stored potable water that your bodyheat isn't keeping warm should eventually become stored potable ice that needs to be remelted. It would certainly make water more of a precious resource for long-term survival runs, on a "melt-as-needed" basis, rather than me being able to stockpile an entire locker full of water like I have on my current run. I imagine new players wouldn't run into it as an issue as often when they're barely on the edge of surviving and scrounging what they need, but it would add more of a burden to long-term players trying for survival.

Unsafe water... perhaps that could just vanish like food whose condition deteriorates all the way, since melting that from having frozen would be practically the same as starting over from scratch. Still, having "potable ice" would be welcome (though I don't imagine that the issue of freezing water expanding in plastic bottles would be a fun one to address, unless the waterline on bottles was lowered to a bit below the brim)

The ice would take longer to melt than snow, naturally. But I like the idea. Adds a difficulty level for more seasoned players and I hope to get to that point eventually.

I really would like to see a chimney kettle (portable boiler) if your idea would be implemented though. Melting-as-needed would be great but a rare chimney kettle (my thread recommending this) would be a luxury item worth having if your idea was implemented. Just a fair balance in my opinion, but what do you think?

Archived