Ability to edit log file

aemaccoll

Hello fellow players,

In my most recent playthrough of The Long Dark, I was confronted with quite an enormous problem. After finding the hunting rifle on the third or fourth day, I was making some good progress. I was no longer afraid of wolves, they were afraid of me. However, I became aware that, sooner or later, I was going to run out of food as I only had three rounds left.

[tab=30]I'd heard that the Carter Hydro Dam would potentially have some more ammunition, so I began gathering supplies for my journey down the railway track. At about midday of the seventh day, I set off for the dam. The journey was uneventful, and I arrived at the dam ready to meet Fluffy. I was pleasantly surprised to find the place bereft of wildlife. And, after pillaging the place of supplies and harvesting a few duplicate items, I got out my bedroll and went to sleep.

[tab=30]It was upon waking up that I encountered my enormous problem. My hunting rifle had vanished. Now I find it important to note that I was playing quite late at night, and I was rather tired. Hopefully that'll make what I'm about to say more forgivable.

[tab=30]My initial thoughts were that it must be a bug. I cursed, I quit, and I went to bed. When I got to bed, I began to doubt myself as to whether or not I had inadvertently harvested my own hunting rifle in my tiredness. I looked in the AppData log.txt files and couldn't find any evidence of what I harvested. There was no way to know whether the error was mine, or the game's.

[tab=30]So rather than reporting a bug; would it be possible to alter the way the logs are written so that they show things that are harvested, repaired etc? In other words, every single detail.

[tab=30]TL;DR. I think it would be a good idea if the log.txt files showed what the player harvests and repairs as well. Thoughts?

[tab=30]So rather than reporting a bug; would it be possible to alter the way the logs are written so that they show things that are harvested, repaired etc? In other words, every single detail.

[tab=30]TL;DR. I think it would be a good idea if the log.txt files showed what the player harvests and repairs as well. Thoughts?

I'll second this suggestion, please. Maybe going a step further, the in-game log could have a couple of tabs to sort the information (i.e. 'Events', 'Resources', etc).

Archived