I dreamt of The Long Dark for the first time

It's true. It was real and the graphics where 3d. I did not realize that I was dreaming until I remembered it the next day.

A human had suddenly appeared at Trappers Homestead, and the game labelled him "Survivor".

I just thought .. wow what an Easter Egg, and that maybe I will be the first to report it. He looked exactly like he should be, i.e. the graphics style was automatically generated in my dream. He had blond hair and a beard, a bit like Redford looked in Jeremiah Johnson.

For some reason he was not friendly from the beginning, came charging at me and fired a pistol. I then tried to shoot him with a pistol myself but it was not possible, the bullets did not do anything. The dream was then mostly about me running after him but unable to catch him (exactly like deer, just that he was slower and closer)

Funny that the game is now part of my dreams isn't it`?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My dreams are really porous so they will usually incorporate elements of any game I'm playing or book I'm reading if I spend a lot of time doing it before bed (or maybe I just play video games too much). I get the Tetris Effect with my eyes closed going to sleep a lot too, especially with any sort of pattern-heavy game like Minecraft.

TLD definitely has affected my dreams a few times, mostly turning my dreams into some kind of arctic wilderness survival scenario except various friends or acquaintances are with me and I have to help provide for them.

That and I have nightmares about Fluffy on a regular basis. Maybe this game needs a PTSD warning. I just hope Fluffy remains the exception to the rule when it comes to wolves not being inside buildings, because I don't think my nerves could handle this game if there was a chance of a wolf being inside any door you are opening...

• 3 months later...

Dreams where you attempt to use a firearm and the weapon fails due to malfunction, very heavy trigger, missing the target, no effect on target, etc. stem from ones lack of faith in the firearm or ones own skills/abilities. This dream is a direct reflection of your own lack of faith in your ability to take down a threat with the firearm in TDL weather it be from lack of skill or purely wonky aiming.

Interesting tidbit ;)

Eta: I had this same problem with a fairly new handgun. I had a recurring dream where I just couldnt pull the trigger when I needed to because it felt like a hundred pounds. I spent some time on the range familiarizing myself with the gun and the dreams stopped. I later had dreams where even perfect hits at point plank range couldn't stop the threat. That one is more to do with my doubts about the cartridges ability to do the job which makes sense since the threat was usually a 400lb wild hog and the cartridge was a .45. I'll be making the switch to 10mm :D

• 1 year later...

Archived