Saving Cumberland Forest

Bill Tarling

This is a cause that is very near and dear to Hinterland Studio's heart. In the studio's backyard sits a vast expanse of some of the most beautiful second-growth forest you have ever seen. They hike and bike and walk dogs and think while wandering its logging roads and trails regularly. It has been a huge inspiration for The Long Dark. And unless the mountain hamlet of Cumberland, BC, can raise enough money to buy it from a logging company, it will be cut down in 2016.

These Cumberland citizens are standing together to do what they can to take the forest back. For more information, check out http://www.cumberlandforest.com/, and take a few minutes to like Cumberland Forest on Facebook.

10271535_650183555030992_3183453050725683536_n.jpg

• 5 months later...

Oh, I hope (and Pray) that the rich, careless and selfish companies lose out to these people. It's all in the hands of the leaders of that region. Those are the ones who need to be reached - and blamed, - if this beauty is not protected.

• 2 months later...

Omg this cracked me up.

Message-from-the-Dogs-432x395.jpg

I wonder if Hinterlands studio would be down for making a Doggie NPC / dog whistle / we could "buy" and find on pilgrim mode in exchange for a "donation" to save the forest. Seems to me most people will help but they always want something in return. Besides what else are we supposed to do with Dog Food? Eat it? Pshh lol.

Of course its just an idea. To pull something off like this one needs to be able to track funds raised and all the legal mumbo jumbo involved too. It would be a fun idea to get them some help though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I disagree with everyone and everything. The forest should be chopped down and mulched. Video games are better and cheaper to play in than the great outdoors. It is easier to save in a video game than to save Cumberland Forest. Hinderland should consider Cumberland Forest and reality in general as competition for its product of video games.

I wonder if Hinterlands studio would be down for making a Doggie NPC / dog whistle / we could "buy" and find on pilgrim mode in exchange for a "donation" to save the forest. Seems to me most people will help but they always want something in return. Besides what else are we supposed to do with Dog Food? Eat it? Pshh lol.

This, guys. This.

$10.00 DLC for a dog whistle and a dog NPC companion or something. Donate the proceeds to the saving forest.

Cute World of Warcraft pet goat raises more than $1.9m for the Red Cross

World of Warcraft players have raised more than $1.9 million for Ebola relief efforts. Blizzard sold Argi, a pet goat, to players throughout December with 100% of the proceeds going to the Red Cross.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-warcra ... -red-cross

This game hasn't got the playerbase of WoW, but hey it proves that this kind of idea works.

• 3 weeks later...

This, guys. This.

$10.00 DLC for a dog whistle and a dog NPC companion or something. Donate the proceeds to the saving forest.

Yes!!! Put in some DLC with proceeds going towards the forest. This could go a long way.

Archived