Amount of reclaimed wood per building

elloco999

I like the now limited amount of reclaimed wood per building, but find it a bit strange that Trappers Homestead and the Camp Office both have the same amount of reclaimed wood. The CO is much larger so it should have more wood you can reclaim.

The dam on the other hand, may be much much larger than the CO, there's not that much made of wood inside. So here it would not be so strange to find little wood.

I just think this should be taken into account for determining the amount of wood that can be reclaimed in a building.

I like the now limited amount of reclaimed wood per building, but find it a bit strange that Trappers Homestead and the Camp Office both have the same amount of reclaimed wood. The CO is much larger so it should have more wood you can reclaim.

The dam on the other hand, may be much much larger than the CO, there's not that much made of wood inside. So here it would not be so strange to find little wood.

I just think this should be taken into account for determining the amount of wood that can be reclaimed in a building.

Agreed. I'm hoping that's something on the docket for Hinterland.

An alternative is to make reclaimed wood a legitimate action: hack the stool with a hatchet and pieces of reclaimed wood fall to the floor. Just like searching a drawer, clicking on a 'reclaim-able' item in the world takes a few seconds, plays a hacking / chopping sound, and reclaimed bits replace the furniture.

Either way, the reclaimed wood should reflect the environment.

An alternative is to make reclaimed wood a legitimate action: hack the stool with a hatchet and pieces of reclaimed wood fall to the floor. Just like searching a drawer, clicking on a 'reclaim-able' item in the world takes a few seconds, plays a hacking / chopping sound, and reclaimed bits replace the furniture.

Well, either that, or that as you forage, the otherwise non-interactive stools and railings and such start vanishing, you having torn them up (perhaps some jagged remnants on the stairs, or something). Carpets and sheets vanish as you forage tinder. Heh.

Well, either that, or that as you forage, the otherwise non-interactive stools and railings and such start vanishing, you having torn them up (perhaps some jagged remnants on the stairs, or something). Carpets and sheets vanish as you forage tinder. Heh.

Yeah, that would work, too! Something to make a direct connection to the world.

I've thought about that myself and although I think it would be cool, I don't think it's a good idea for the devs. Main reason would be that it will inescapably end in a discussion that starts with "Why can't I reclaim xxx?" or ""I've reclaimed all in house X but there's till a part of the side of the stairs, why can't I reclaim that?" And "I could also still use the stairs with only half the steps, I wan't to reclaim the steps I don't need!" It will be a never ending discussion. No matter how they implement this, there will always be people who are not satisfied with it. Better to abstract it.

Another reason would be that they need to model all the pieces that you can reclaim separately (as in not a part of the building) and probably in multiple stages of "reclaimedness". That's a lot of work and then we still need the coding to make it work.

But the devs are smarter when it comes to things like this than me, so maybe they figure out a way to do it properly. Here's to hoping they do.

Archived