Survival Bow stuck "in progress"

scuttlebum

Hi everyone, I have a question! I wonder if anyone has experienced this before / if it's a known bug.

So I made a Survival Bow at a workbench in Milton and when it was complete, I kept it in my inventory and didn't pay much attention to it.

It was only when I got to Mystery Lake and made brand new arrows out of the broken ones from the Dam that I realised that the bow was stuck "In Progress" in my inventory menu screen. Hovering over the "In Progress" text, there is an hourglass icon that's frozen in place.

When I drop the bow to the ground and pick it up, it equips and I can use it. But it will not equip any other way (i.e. using Weapon hotkey) and cannot be used from inventory menu. This made my gameplay experience quite tedious and frustrating.

Ultimately I found another bow at 34% at the Unnamed Pond, also made a brand new bow at the Trapper's Homestead. Both bows equip without issue.

Anyone ever experienced this? It's a pity because I can't harvest that bow for the cured maple sapling I wasted on it!

(I can upload a screenshot when I get home from work, if that helps.)

7 hours ago, scuttlebum said:

Hovering over the "In Progress" text

Good morning @scuttlebum, glad to see you have had some time to play. While the in-progress hourglass is new to me, I have always wondered why the bow crafting never uses the full time. (IE: When I try to craft for a full hour it will stop at 0.87 hours for no reason; /did not get dark/hungry). The fractional crafting time has never created a problem except that I must craft again to complete the remaining fraction of time. Good luck my friend! :coffee:

PS: I did the opposite once though. Crafted the bow and arrows at ML then went to Milton. Late at night, I hiked to the plane crash because I needed the "top-tier-loot" from the abandoned cars. Got swatted after shooting the bear at the bridge and did not notice my bow was missing from my pack until a few days later when I had a beautiful chance to take the bear at "Un-named Pond" back at ML. Big lesson learned for me.

Edited by s7mar7in

I have not seen that. Try grabbing a cured gut and going to a crafting table and seeing if you can craft the bow (i.e. little green checkmark). I've had a similar situation with coats because I'd dropped a gut and it was incomplete but in my inventory.

18 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

Good morning @scuttlebum, glad to see you have had some time to play. While the in-progress hourglass is new to me, I have always wondered why the bow crafting never uses the full time. (IE: When I try to craft for a full hour it will stop at 0.87 hours for no reason; /did not get dark/hungry). The fractional crafting time has never created a problem except that I must craft again to complete the remaining fraction of time. Good luck my friend! :coffee:

PS: I did the opposite once though. Crafted the bow and arrows at ML then went to Milton. Late at night, I hiked to the plane crash because I needed the "top-tier-loot" from the abandoned cars. Got swatted after shooting the bear at the bridge and did not notice my bow was missing from my pack until a few days later when I had a beautiful chance to take the bear at "Un-named Pond" back at ML. Big lesson learned for me.

@s7mar7in You know what, I've noticed that too. Sometimes when I'm crafting at the workbench, I get interrupted / stop crafting even though my meters are still not empty or in the red zone.

Oh no, what a missed opportunity! Well, we live (and die) and learn through this game, don't we? Haha.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stratvox said:

I have not seen that. Try grabbing a cured gut and going to a crafting table and seeing if you can craft the bow (i.e. little green checkmark). I've had a similar situation with coats because I'd dropped a gut and it was incomplete but in my inventory.

I tried that, @stratvox! Didn't work. I can't continue crafting because crafting of that item is complete (no green checkmark).

It's really odd and I've given up. Leaving that un-equippable bow in the Trapper's cabin as "set decoration". I've managed to cure another maple sapling and crafted a brand new working bow so all is good :)

Thanks for your help, though!

• 2 years later...

OK so it's been like 3 years since anyone's rep[ied, But in case anyone else ever has this problem like I did, it's actually really a simple solution. When you're crafting a bow it'll ask you how many hours you'd like to spend on it. If you only spend an hour then your bow will only be 1/5 th  done,  spend all five and tada, your bow is  built. 

If you've picked up a bow, like I did that says in progress, all you have to do is go back to the workbench click switch and it'll ask you how much more time you'd like to spend on your bow. Keep spending hours working your bow until it's done. 

That's all super simple but somehow got my goat.