Where do you make your base on the Coastal Highway map?

elloco999

I agree that Jack Rabbit Island is one of the best places on CH for all the reasons you list. Just FYI wolves do occasionally get up there, chasing rabbits/ deer and they do seem to roam around the island and can sometimes be around the corner when you come down.

When staying at Jack Rabbit Island, I use one of the nearby fishing huts for boiling water and cooking meat. You can use a campfire just outside the door, but I just hate it when my fire gets blown out by the wind.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

House in the township on seaward side of the highway. Storage, potable water, stove. All very nice. Except that I walked out this morning to check the temp, had a look at my inventory, and was promptly leapt upon and torn asunder by an irritated mutt. Lesson; check around you before looking up the inventory. Ah me. At least I didn't harvest my jeans by accident and freeze to death this time. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@ snowman

"Ah me. At least I didn't harvest my jeans by accident and freeze to death this time"

That's hilarious!

I did that. And wouldn't you know - the game will not give you another pair - ever (because of how much you need them - lols).

I did that. And wouldn't you know - the game will not give you another pair - ever (because of how much you need them - lols).

Actually, it is possible to find another pair of jeans in the game. But they are very rare. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I find it very important to be somewhere in the centre of the world,

good places are the Rabbit Grove cabin or the other lone cabin close to the fishing camp.

Only a few wolves, deer, fishing and rabbits near, workbench near (fishing camp), short route to PV/ML and lots of good places to visit within short distance.

I also like the abandoned lookout, but unfortunately there is very little storage space.

I find it very important to be somewhere in the centre of the world,

good places are the Rabbit Grove cabin or the other lone cabin close to the fishing camp.

Only a few wolves, deer, fishing and rabbits near, workbench near (fishing camp), short route to PV/ML and lots of good places to visit within short distance.

I also like the abandoned lookout, but unfortunately there is very little storage space.

The best is definitelly Jackrabbit island. Wolves aren't going up very often (I had close encouter only once and that wolf just hunted rabbit, so nothing happened) and there is safe route from and to the island between different wolf groups. There isn't workbench and fireplace, but you don't need one very often and it's easy to make fire outside, when you need it. And of course, there are rabbits, fishing hut and deers on the lake.

I've only played through the Coastal Highway area three times so far but I have a tendency to set up camp at the Quonset station. I was at the fishing village for some time during my current game before I relocated to the station. For me it is a mixed bag there. On stalker mode there are a LOT of wolves around that area... pretty much all the time. Yet I stay there because I want access to the work bench if I need it and don't want to have to trek the extra distance once I finally decide to set out up the side of the mountain towards Pleasant Valley.

Jackrabbit Island does seem like a solid base. Even though my stash is at the Quonset station I've been spending a lot of time trapping and fishing on the island.

I've only played through the Coastal Highway area three times so far but I have a tendency to set up camp at the Quonset station. I was at the fishing village for some time during my current game before I relocated to the station. For me it is a mixed bag there. On stalker mode there are a LOT of wolves around that area... pretty much all the time. Yet I stay there because I want access to the work bench if I need it and don't want to have to trek the extra distance once I finally decide to set out up the side of the mountain towards Pleasant Valley.

In that case, try that house up hill near Quonset station. Once again, there isn't fireplace, but there aren't wolves either. Every place has its pros and cons. Another workbench is behind fishing cabin at fishing camp.

Personally I don't like the outside workbench in the fishing village. It has happened to me several times that a wolf noticed me and even though I usually have a fire to keep me warm, it's annoying to not be able to go anywhere because of that wolf. At least it should now give up after some time, that wasn't the case when this happened to me.

I usually make my base at Jack Rabbit Island because it seems to be the only place that is somewhat central, has little wolf problems, easy access to rabbits, fish and deer and has lots of storage. The only other places that meet all except the last point are just too small with too little containers to make them my main base.

It is annoying though that is is so far away from the route from ML to PV. If I need more of a stop-over base I usually use the house at the log sort for this, but of course, that one is burned down in my current run...

Have tried to make base around the fishing camp, and I can confirm what elloco says. It's doable but there were too many problems with wolves between the many huts I was using (an ice fishing hut for cooking, a hut with the best bed, a hut with the workbench and another hut where I had my stores).

I begin to think that there are currently no good bases in the game. Trappers Homestead and Farmhouse are the only ones that work, but they are too much towards the borders. Also someone replaces the woodstove in the farmhouse with an oven, I really liked the old one much better.

Currently I think I will make one base at Rabbit Cove and another one in the Abandoned Lookout and occasionally walk between the two. Abandoned lookout has quick access to more storage in the four little cabins on the road, but unfortunately it's not easy to get back up. I could try to visit those cabins more often.

The one in between the one on the hill and the gas station does have a fireplace though, and doesn't have stairs either. I've used that for quite some time. Yes, there's quite a few wolves there, but those mostly move around between the gas station and the houses on the coast. By first moving closer to the house in the picture you can get to the lake safely, and you can take the upper route when moving to PV, avoiding the wolves down at the houses (move stuff from to the house to the trailer, from there to the cabins, then the lookout, and then the mine).

If you don't mind making fire outside and you have lots of stuff the fishing houses in the eastern part are nice too. I think 2 of them have lockers. There tend to be more wolves around there though, and they tend to be able to hide behind cabins more (so less time to react).

Last option, but located less conveniently, is the mine. No wolves, not very cold, lots of storage. But you have to go outside for fires, just like the houses on the islands.

Edit: Need to go to sleep, didn't notice the other 3 pages until I posted this :D

Before I would live in the mine, I'd rather look for a certain trailer which is ideally placed between mine entrance, abandoned lookout and log sort. This one is easy to miss, but if you know and use the short route between log sort and lookout, it is ca half way up the hill, making it the most central location in CH that I know. You can get to the the mine and it's facilities in minutes. It also has wind protection because it is sandwiched between rocks. Cooking and storage are not ideal.

I am currently using the Abandoned lookout, not because it's the ideal place (only 15 kilo storage), but because I pass it by so often. If there was not this stupid armchair lying up-side-down and a little more storage, it would be almost perfect. Being in a lookout and have exterior light is a huge bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was playing in Voyager, the house across from the Gas Station was my spot. There was the occasional wolf, but it felt like home. Then we I was completely suited in fur with a Bearskin Bedroll, everything was dandy. Then I upped my game and went to Stalker. I don't think a single house in that little village is really safe. I have come out of them to be attacked by wolves and bears, its like a zoo habitat. The little house just up the hill is great, even if it does not have a fire place. At least I can come and go without having to walk through the Predator's Exhibit at the Zoo.

I have tried a few other locations up and down the coastal road, but all of the houses have the same wolfish problem. That pressed me up the mountain side looking for a better place, but I have not found one. The Lookout is great, with zero storage. So it works for stashing wood and water, but that is it. The nearby mine is ok, but we all complain that houses are dark. Sheeze, that place is... well... a mine! I know there are a few more houses about, but none of them are good bases camps either. Maybe voyager has spoiled me :) As others have said, there are some great places in the other zones, but nothing stands out with everything in CH.

I had a string of bad luck out on the islands. Now that I am a bit more seasoned, maybe I need to go back out and give them another go.

Althou the wolves do ocasionally come up all the way, jackrabbit island is still a great place on coastal highway map i think. The area below on the ice is now also pretty infested with wolves, but at least you can see them, so you can avoid them, which is not the case in the coastal townsite which might be the most wolf-infested area in the game. My travel a lot between jack rabbits and the place where the outside workbench is, mostly for crafting, so I usually put lots of wood, water and some food there. Since jack rabbits house doesnt have a stove, I dedicate a day or so make a fire right beside the house for wind protection and just stack up on water and wood early.

Not the best hunting place (have to walk a bit to find deer), but there's several routes without predators from the cabin and no wolves that come close to it, while it has plenty storage: The fishing cabin between the train unloading trailer and the trailer near the mines. (Coordinates 510, 100, 1100)

As no wolves get close to the cabin you can cook outside without fear of predators.

From there you can move over the hills towards the fishing camp without encountering wolves, you can move to the mines without wolves in between, you can move down the hillside to get to the road (and therefor the ice). Down the slope near the cabin there can be wolves once in a while, but that's at the edge of their normal territory, which means you can just watch out for them and if needed move back up the hill to reach the cabin if you see one.

There can be a wolf at the road near the train unloading trailer, but if that's not there it's also a 'free' route to ML. And you can walk up/down the hill near the curve in the road to get to/from the cabin.

Jack Rabbit Island. You can make a fire just outside the porch gate and you are safe. A wolf can come right up and he'll just watch you cook steak after steak and have no way of getting at you. The only inconvenience is no crafting table, but how often do you need to use one? Not a big deal. When I do need it, I use the one at the garage. I can't imagine using the one outside in the fishing village without getting eaten by wolves at least 50% of the time. At least that's what it seems like to me on Stalker anyway.

Jack Rabbit Island. You can make a fire just outside the porch gate and you are safe. A wolf can come right up and he'll just watch you cook steak after steak and have no way of getting at you.

And then the wind blows your fire out and the wolf is on you :P

I agree though that Jack Rabbit Island is one of the best locations.

If you make a fire behind that place, the wolves will just watch you, cause of subperfect AI. :)

Also, you are usually there on the fire to cook or to make make water, so your cooking or melting / boiling is interupted anyways once your fire goes out, so you are not in danger. I fully agree with nemesis, except that I prefer the outdoors crafting table to the one in the quanset, since the inside one is in the most dangerous area in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new in coastal area. I have been surviving for 35 days in mystery lake (highest difficulty, srsly, wolves everywhere, wow). I was worried that I'd run out of matches. Lol

Do you guys know where I can find a flint? I'd probably go back to mystery lake after finding one.

What can I find in the abandoned lookout?

It is part of the fun to explore the spawning locations yourself. Only click if you don't want that to be spoiled for you... ;)

[spoil]In the costal highway map I found a rifle before:

- Below the bridge right after you entered the map from mystery lake, beside a dead guy

- In the abandoned lookout

- In the bedroom of the house on jackrabbits island

- In the fishing hut between jackrabbits island and misathrope's homestead

- At the very end of the map at commuters lament in the backseat of the car[/spoil]

You can freely travel between all the areas, with the latest update there is also a new connection directly between mystery lake and pleasent valley. So you can directly move between each area now:

Mystery Lake <--> Costal Highway

Mystery Lake <--> Pleasent Valley

Costal Highway <--> Pleasent Valley

Archived