Bodily functions? [Warning: a bit gross.]

anomrabbit

Alright, I'm curious. Obviously in TLD the character has to eat and drink, but what about eliminate? What comes in must go out, of course.

If you deposit some night soil but don't wash/clean/disinfect your hands afterwards, are you at risk of acquiring a GI infection? What about drinking contaminated water? (I'm a volunteer in water and sanitation in a developing country, so these are legitimate concerns for me.)

If you eat poisonous berries or rotten meat will you vomit? Will wounds become infected if they're not taken care of? Is it possible to catch the flu if you run into another person who has it?

Inquiring minds (well, at least one) would like to know!

Guest Alan Lawrance

Our simulation system has a lot of depth, but we haven't included waste elimination for the player. I think the general feeling is that is a strategic layer that isn't interesting to most players. If during the Alpha we have backers yelling for the ability to defecate in the woods, then we would probably consider it. (Please don't).

Potable/contaminated water... yes, it's in the simulation now. Don't want to give away all the details, but there will be ways to de-contaminate water.

Poisonous food (either intrinsically or through spoilage) -- yes. You'll have to watch what you eat, and how you cook it.

Wounds can become infected, which can lead to death.

Flu -- no plans for that. You'll have much bigger issues to deal with.

(Please don't).

I certainly won't; just curiosity.

Potable/contaminated water... yes, it's in the simulation now. Don't want to give away all the details, but there will be ways to de-contaminate water.

Poisonous food (either intrinsically or through spoilage) -- yes. You'll have to watch what you eat, and how you cook it.

Wounds can become infected, which can lead to death.

Flu -- no plans for that. You'll have much bigger issues to deal with.

All of these things seem like a challenge (personal experience for the water one), and they're not even the big stuff yet!

Archived