Timber wolves

Tomerarenai

Actually the one on the right is a coyote. The pic description by its OP is "If anyone ever wondered the size difference between a Canadian wolf and a mature Montana coyote, take a look at this. This 2 1/2 year old collared male wolf and adult coyote were shot in a sheep pasture near Broadus ,Montana."

The difference in size between the gray wolf (Canis lupus) and the canadian timber wolf (Canis lupus occidentalis) according to wikipedia isn't that significant. Male timber wolves can weight 5-8 kgs (11-17 pounds) more than an average male gray wolf, with the difference between females just slightly smaller. If you consider the smaller average gray wolf vs. the bigger average canadian timber wolf, the latter is a bit less than 20% bigger than the former.

I suspect that the wolves in TLD could already be timber wolves, their range covers British Columbia and I guess that's where Bear Island could be located even though I'm not so sure about it. Even if they were gray wolves, the difference in size in game wouldn't be very noticeable imo:

20percent.thumb.jpg.0397cde7dc25bae7430b3aa39bc97845.jpg

Ok sorry I'll stop being pedantic now. :P It's my fault, species classification fascinates me. 

Anyway, I like the idea of having wolves of different sizes in game. Maybe not that big of a difference like the one you suggested, but still. 
Right now some wolves are easier to fight while others are meaner, but there's no way to visually distinguish them. It would be cool if one could assess just by looking at a wolf how dangerous it will be, maybe with some variance (once in a while you could meet a huge, weak wolf or a small, extremely angry wolf).

Archived