Fire starter priority- lit torches

Klobberthon

This is a small gripe but it would make me (and I'm sure others) happy.  I wish that when I enter the fire starting menu and I have a lit torch in my hand that said torch would be listed first instead of matches. 

It is a common strategy to use a match to light a torch, then light the fire with your torch so as to not waste matches.  This would save me a bit of clicking (and a couple wasted matches when I forget to check that the torch is selected as the starting item :/ )

• Upvote 20
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WeRtheWild said:

They might want to change this later down the line, probably when first-person fire making is implemented in game.

Well it doesnt use up the torch more than about 7%. I would be interested in a change to firemaking. In the meantime, though, I keep lighting torches and then lighting the fire with another darn match :S

Edited by Klobberthon

Exactly.  And your post is right about there being other inconvenient ordering issues. 

Some might say the team shouldn't focus on this type of thing yet, since the game is still changing.  But I would argue that quality of life improvements like this should be very easy to implement.  The team's time investment to game-improvement ratio would be pretty favorable.

• Upvote 1

On 21.6.2018 at 2:32 AM, Klobberthon said:

This is a small gripe but it would make me (and I'm sure others) happy.  I wish that when I enter the fire starting menu and I have a lit torch in my hand that said torch would be listed first instead of matches. 

It is a common strategy to use a match to light a torch, then light the fire with your torch so as to not waste matches.  This would save me a bit of clicking (and a couple wasted matches when I forget to check that the torch is selected as the starting item :/ )

I second this. Also your general request for "quality of life" improvements. The effect of such improvements is often underestimated.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another related issue I have is that the ignition source defaults to the mag lens if you're carrying one. This doesn't matter in the general run of things, but if it's a cloudy day and you're surprised by a sudden wolf encounter, you don't want to be spending any extra time than necessary changing options in the firestarting menu - you just want to get the thing smoking as soon as possible.

(And yes, I have died because of this a few times before. I've even now resorted to leaving the mag lens behind at base when I go out, for this exact reason.)

Edited by Pillock

18 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Another related issue I have is that the ignition source defaults to the mag lens if you're carrying one. 

It's an alphabetical order thingy after all, "Torch" comes after "MaTches" and "maGnifier" before them. In italian they're "torcia", "fiammiferi" and "lente" so I have the same issue searching for the torch but the magnifier is not on top. An even simpler solution would be to allow the choice for different arrangements to the menu. z-a alphabetical order would surely help, such as increasing condition (torches usually are low and matches always on 100%). It wouldn't always help (magnifiers are random and flares instantly switch from 100 to 0 when totally spent) but better then nothing.

I think the best solution would be to design the order based around emergencies and logic. So anything already lit should be first priority. Second is firestriker. Then matches and finally lens.

Would satisfy wolf encounters as well as prevent matches being needlessly wasted. 

The fuel priority should also default to highest % chance I think. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Yes please! Item Priority has come up a few times over the past year, so I know there are others who want it, too! This should include things like: what item you pull out as your light source, what weapon you pull out when hunting, what weapon you default to in a Struggle, what item you drop as a decoy, what ignition source to default to when starting a fire, etc.

• Upvote 2

On 8/23/2018 at 9:10 PM, WanderingPalm said:

what item you drop as a decoy

this one has always bugged me.  I carry around a tiny piece of ruined cooked fish to use as bait. But when I'm heading home after harvesting a kill, tapping the decoy button drops 1kg of prime fresh deer instead of my ruined fish... or a whole rabbit I didn't have a chance to harvest yet. Early on if I'm dropping decoy to distract while I run away i don't want to lose a day worth of food in the process.

• 4 months later...

Since the search function returned exactly what I wanted, I am bumping this thread.

If I am holding a burning torch then it should be automatically selected to start a fire. 

Also since I saw this as results of my search. Tinder.

I find it is not good game design if an item becomes obsolete once a skill level is achieved. Tinder burns just as well as a stick one would think maybe hotter but with shorter burn time or still used to increase lighting a fire chance. Many good ideas I saw.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 10/23/2022 at 2:54 PM, Klobberthon said:

I still wish for my lit torch to be listed first when starting a fire haha ❤️

Strange… it already is on Interloper. On lower difficulties, it does not auto-select the lit torch/flare.

I think it might be in alphabetical order, though. Torches come before Wood Matches, and on ‘Loper, there are no Cardboard matches… so I think we have at least the source of the problem.

• Upvote 2