I have given up with v1.33

peteloud

On 6/20/2018 at 9:05 AM, Hawk said:

I have to admit, I was looking forward to the new cooking implementation after it was announced, but now that I've tried it, my TLD game play has diminished a good bit.

I'm just not all that crazy about it. Maybe if they adjust the cooking time it might be a little more tolerable, but as it is - MEH! I have other games I can play.

I hope you hard core fans of TLD continue to enjoy the game, but it's just not the same for me anymore.

Just pass the time,  it is no different.  You people are just complaining because all they added was you placing a pot down amd you selecting what you wanna cook.  Woah!!! Sooo difficult and time consuming!!!  Just pass time -_- or do other things while you wait.  Its simple.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 2:19 AM, Cr41g said:

I consider myself an ordinary player.....I cant even count the number of times I have had to restart... I have frozen to death, bled to death, fallen to my death, starved, been killed by bears, wolves and racked heavily by a moose... starting over is the fun part for me... and like already mentioned its survival... permadeath..

I consider myself an ordinary player too, and have died in so many dumb ways! And I agree that starting over can be good fun. Sometimes it takes me awhile to get back into the game, but a break and coming back to it gives me fresh eyes and renewed enthusiasm.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:01 PM, peteloud said:

* I now spend about a third of my time cooking. It is a tediously boring task.

* I lose about three quarters of my arrows. Losing so many arrows means that I can't defend myself from wolves and hunting food is much more difficult.

* Poisoning myself due to bad keying operations.

Sorry to hear that you are finding the update not too enjoyable. I'm growing quite fond of the new cooking system for the realism of seeing the meat brown in the fire, and hearing the non-potable water slowly boil as I read by the fire or sharpen/clean my weapons. Sitting by a crackling fire out in the open snow and watching the sky bloom in pretty pastels (instead of a menu screen) may be one of the most pleasant things to experience in this survival simulator. IMO at least! Having to use way more firewood/sticks is a bit of a pain though, I must admit.

Poisoning due to weird key mapping was a frustrating issue for me too. I got food poisoning by accidentally eating raw meat multiple times while trying to place it in a pot or cooking surface from the radial menu. It took me awhile but I got used to how the new system works now, so it doesn't happen anymore. Unless I get careless!

As for missing arrows, I definitely hope the devs will fix this! I've had way too many disappear into trees!

On 6/21/2018 at 3:15 PM, Stone said:

I get the OP's frustration. It's a significant change to how the game plays. I am an interloper player and recognise I'm after a different experience. That said the cooking changes mean I now have good reason to run three fires at once (on different sides of the camp office) - it's no longer fuel inefficient and it means whichever direction the weather arrives from, at least one fire will be sheltered. Even fending three fires with water and meat I'm able to do some sewing so I'm pretty happy.

@Stone Forgive me, being an ordinary player (on custom just dipping my toes in Stalker) I am having a bit of trouble understanding this. Do you mean you run three fires at once outdoors, around the camp office? Doesn't running three fires at once consume a lot of resources and also energy (to obtain the wood needed)? I ask because I'm interested to know if I should adopt this approach. I'm trying to get used to being outdoors and surviving outdoors for longer periods of time. Appreciate your input!

On 6/21/2018 at 7:35 PM, TerribleSurvivor said:

The problem with wolves that certain players (like me) have since practically release is that they are technically zombies.

Nothing comparable to the real wolves who share attributes like mindful decision making or the ability to coordinate hunting in packs. In the game it feels like they are exclusivly the "starving loner"-type of wolves. And they are locked to a certain area doing nothing else but mindlessly walking around hunting the occasional deer/rabbit/player that crosses their line of sight! Not compelling at all.

Not the strength of the wolves but their behavior needs a significant amount of love to make them a fun part of the game!

While I still find wolves threatening when there are three or four in my line of sight, I must agree that one loner wolf in the horizon is pretty easy to avoid as their behaviour is incredibly predictable. I get a kick though, when I see 3 or 4 of them patrolling the same area, like on Mystery Lake. It makes me feel like they could be hunting in a pack even though I know they are not.

I've read a few extensive threads on wolf behaviour and suggestions for improvements, so that's all I will say :) Which is, I'd be excited to see less lone wolves and more natural wolf pack behaviours (maybe just one or two roaming packs per map).

On 6/22/2018 at 4:07 PM, Kaisentlaia said:

Regarding cooking, I'm finding the new system extremely enjoyable even if the cooking times are longer. I was a bit put off by the amount of time it took until I moved to PV, then I fell in love with it at the farmhouse after I found 3 pots and 3 cans. Being able to melt and boil several liters of water at the same time was a blast, and the same goes for cooking 6 pieces of meat in 1 hour! With the old cooking system, 6 pieces of meat took 2 hours to cook, 20 minutes each. And I can even do something else while the cooking happens!

I really like that now cooking places have different amounts of cooking spots, it's another factor that goes in the decision making process when you have to choose a place to set up camp.

I think this is the charm of the new system too. I started off my current run at Mountain Town. Having a stove with six cooking surfaces at Grey Mother's house was such a joy! I could cook 4 slabs of meat, boil a pot of water and make tea at the same time using the same fire.

The frustration comes when you find a stove with one cooking surface and you know you could be doing so much more with the resources at hand, but that's part of the challenge and decision making process, like you said, @Kaisentlaia. And while I can understand why some people might find it a huge frustration and a detraction from game enjoyment, personally I find it a mostly positive and immersive upgrade.

@scuttlebum Cooking on a six plate range is most a efficient but they are in location I personally don't consider 'worth it'. Regarding my approach - are you aware that outdoor fires last longer? I believe that's still the case. Other threads discuss this in depth. But the main driver is Cabin Fever which doesn't affect the less-harsh game modes. So to avoid cabin fever, cooking outside makes a lot of sense. That needs good weather and so on interloper I find myself having a big cook off of meat and water ever 3-5 days. In the old system I'd have to stand for hours by one fire cooking sequentially. If the weather turned on my location I'd either have to relocate and spend a precious match to keep cooking or, more likely, give up. So the new system makes outdoor cooking work a bit better for me. That said it would be nice to have some deployable item that increases a campfires cooking spots - a tripod hanging pots say..

Good luck with the Long Dark!

7 minutes ago, Stone said:

Regarding my approach - are you aware that outdoor fires last longer? I believe that's still the case.

@Stone Thanks! No, I was not aware of this! Thanks for the tip. That's so interesting, I wonder why that is (realistically as opposed to encouraging players to live outside more, I mean). I will be sure to cook outdoors as long as the weather allows. I'll keep an eye out for those threads. Still new to this forum :)

A tripod for hanging pots would be fantastic! Though how brilliant would it be if we could fashion a temporary one out of sticks or branches (instead of only being able to break those down)? Or perhaps another use for birch saplings for a light and reusable tripod!

9 hours ago, scuttlebum said:

Sorry to hear that you are finding the update not too enjoyable. I'm growing quite fond of the new cooking system for the realism of seeing the meat brown in the fire, and hearing the non-potable water slowly boil as I read by the fire or sharpen/clean my weapons. Sitting by a crackling fire out in the open snow and watching the sky bloom in pretty pastels (instead of a menu screen) may be one of the most pleasant things to experience in this survival simulator. IMO at least! Having to use way more firewood/sticks is a bit of a pain though, I must admit.

Poisoning due to weird key mapping was a frustrating issue for me too. I got food poisoning by accidentally eating raw meat multiple times while trying to place it in a pot or cooking surface from the radial menu. It took me awhile but I got used to how the new system works now, so it doesn't happen anymore. Unless I get careless!

As for missing arrows, I definitely hope the devs will fix this! I've had way too many disappear into trees!

Agree completely. First, (+1) for adding your intelligent and kind voice to this forum, welcome!

As for your appreciation of the "campfire simulator" I totally agree, this visual aspect is the keystone of this great game.

Lastly, as regards the disappearing arrows; I have been in HRV for a few game-weeks and have found many of my lost arrows by scanning the cursor over the scrub brush or the back of the wolf's neck. The "Tag" will momentarily change to "Simple Arrow" when you scan the correct spot and the arrow, (though invisible), may be retrieved by clicking. Good luck my friend! :coffee:

15 hours ago, scuttlebum said:

While I still find wolves threatening when there are three or four in my line of sight, I must agree that one loner wolf in the horizon is pretty easy to avoid as their behaviour is incredibly predictable. I get a kick though, when I see 3 or 4 of them patrolling the same area, like on Mystery Lake. It makes me feel like they could be hunting in a pack even though I know they are not.

I've read a few extensive threads on wolf behaviour and suggestions for improvements, so that's all I will say :) Which is, I'd be excited to see less lone wolves and more natural wolf pack behaviours (maybe just one or two roaming packs per map).

Mostly agreeing to this. My design of wolf packs would be some loners (1-4 scouts) who roam around the core pack (3-7 main forces) looking out for prey (like you). Hearing a nearby wolf howling should indicate that an attack is imminent. Then you better go for shelter.

I would also give those packs a core area (like a den) where they spend the majority of their time (few days in a row). That could be mystery lake as an example. Around that core area i would give them hunting grounds where they stay for one or two days away from their base (like the unnamed pond or the areas beyond the ridgelines at trappers homestead).

That would add some dynamic behavior patterns to wolves that are currently lacking or not sufficiently implemented. Eventually, wolf attacks would become more deadly to the player while at the same time becoming less frequent (unless provoked by the player itself). My suggestion certainly needs some fine tuning though.

9 hours ago, TerribleSurvivor said:

Mostly agreeing to this. My design of wolf packs would be some loners (1-4 scouts) who roam around the core pack (3-7 main forces) looking out for prey (like you). Hearing a nearby wolf howling should indicate that an attack is imminent. Then you better go for shelter.

I would also give those packs a core area (like a den) where they spend the majority of their time (few days in a row). That could be mystery lake as an example. Around that core area i would give them hunting grounds where they stay for one or two days away from their base (like the unnamed pond or the areas beyond the ridgelines at trappers homestead).

That would add some dynamic behavior patterns to wolves that are currently lacking or not sufficiently implemented. Eventually, wolf attacks would become more deadly to the player while at the same time becoming less frequent (unless provoked by the player itself). My suggestion certainly needs some fine tuning though.

@TerribleSurvivor Bang on! I really like your design idea. The mere thought of a pack of 7-10 wolves is just so terrifying! I would go all lengths to avoid them! 

I was making my big move away from the comfortable embrace of Mystery Lake to Coastal Highway yesterday, and came across a "pack" of 4 wolves walking down the railway track right next to the train carriages. I really wish I took a screenshot or video, but I panicked and backtracked quickly as I was carrying some meat, giving off scent. It was truly incredible to see 4 wolves moving like a pack in a straight line, prowling in the snow, almost nose to tail. I got a real thrill out of it. I've never seen anything like that before. I mean, I've seen 3-4 wolves on patrol around Mystery Lake but they are generally going in different directions, doing their own thang.

The idea of a den is very intriguing too. Of course they would have a den! Like the bears have their caves.

I'd be very exciting to see the devs implement a similar idea into gameplay. A dynamic update like that could really shake things up and make the game feel fresh and exciting again, especially for long-time players / seasoned Interlopers of TLD.

Also, selfishly, for someone like me who is passionate about wildlife conservation and rescue, I'd just be so happy to see more natural animal behaviours in what is an already gorgeous but deadly landscape.

I will certainly be giving this further thought. 

16 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

Agree completely. First, (+1) for adding your intelligent and kind voice to this forum, welcome!

As for your appreciation of the "campfire simulator" I totally agree, this visual aspect is the keystone of this great game.

Lastly, as regards the disappearing arrows; I have been in HRV for a few game-weeks and have found many of my lost arrows by scanning the cursor over the scrub brush or the back of the wolf's neck. The "Tag" will momentarily change to "Simple Arrow" when you scan the correct spot and the arrow, (though invisible), may be retrieved by clicking. Good luck my friend! :coffee:

@s7mar7in Aww, thank you! I appreciate that. Glad to be here. Learning a lot from everyone here and really enjoying the older threads.

I will have to be a bit more diligent in scanning over scrub brushes, trees and such to find my arrows. Thanks for the tip!

(Sorry, but how do I add a (+1) for other members? Can't seem to figure that mechanic out! Or am I too much of a newb to do it yet?)

I TAKE IT ALL BACK!!!   The Vigilant Flame update is excellent. I couldn't stand not playing TLD so I took the time to learn the new cooking procedures. TLD gameplay is now more realistic. I especially like the feature to be able to warm items by placing them next to a fire!!!! HRV is massive! Still exploring.

Thanks Hinterland!!!

21 hours ago, scuttlebum said:

(Sorry, but how do I add a (+1) for other members?

@scuttlebum, I’m guessing you figured this out by now on your own but just in case:

The grey “Arrow-Up” in the lower right corner of every post allows you to either “Like”, (blue heart), the post or you can “Plus 1”, (green arrow-up), the comment if it was something you found to be well-presented, constructive and helpful/kind.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, memyselfandi7777 said:

I don't think I'd mind the cooking as much if I could find some pots. I have to eat the meat little by little in hopes not to get poisoned because the percentage goes down so quickly.

Aside from boiling water, the only thing you will gain by having a pot is that meat cooks a little faster.  Otherwise, as far as cooking meat is concerned, there's no difference between a pot and a campfire stone.  Am I overlooking something else that can be done with the pots regarding cooking meat?

On 6/20/2018 at 8:05 AM, Hawk said:

I have to admit, I was looking forward to the new cooking implementation after it was announced, but now that I've tried it, my TLD game play has diminished a good bit.

I'm just not all that crazy about it. Maybe if they adjust the cooking time it might be a little more tolerable, but as it is - MEH! I have other games I can play.

I hope you hard core fans of TLD continue to enjoy the game, but it's just not the same for me anymore.

I initially thought this as well but as I've played through, I'm getting used to it and consider it a "mini-challenge" to make the most of my time & fuel.  TBH, I don't even remember what the old cooking system was like now, but it had been months since playing so...

On 6/20/2018 at 1:22 PM, Blinkin said:

I've managed to make some free time, happy to test the new version but quickly ran into a disappointment. The wolves difference is the first thing I noticed.
I've setup a few custom games with low wolf population and being able to scare them quickly.
Result: I played 5 of these custom games where I got attacked within the first 3 hours (ingame time) after starting by serveral wolves. None of them got scared... I got more attacks than I normally ever have had on voyager on the first week. Something is broken here.

I've been complaining about custom settings not working (as intended) for a long time now :(

I started 5 custom games (as a test) spawning in CH with the "spawn indoors".  Results?  Spawned outside 5 times...

14 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I've been complaining about custom settings not working (as intended) for a long time now :(

I started 5 custom games (as a test) spawning in CH with the "spawn indoors".  Results?  Spawned outside 5 times...

The "spawn indoors" option do not mean that you will automatically spawn indoor. This mean that you can spawn indoor. Since there is so much location you can spawn, you still have low chance to spawn indoor. On the other hand, if you turn the option off, that mean that you won't spawn indoor.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:47 AM, Nogen said:

The "spawn indoors" option do not mean that you will automatically spawn indoor. This mean that you can spawn indoor. Since there is so much location you can spawn, you still have low chance to spawn indoor. On the other hand, if you turn the option off, that mean that you won't spawn indoor.

Perfect example of where some clarification could be made.  I interpret that as Yes/No (an absolute).

Guest jeffpeng

From https://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Fire#Fire_duration

Fires that are started in outdoor locations offer an outdoor fire bonus. This means that the Duration listed on the fire is inaccurate, and the fire will actually last about 50% longer depending on the temperature. Colder temperatures will yield a longer lasting fire, up until the bonus caps at around -30C. The bonus is determined based on the survivors positioning, meaning that if you go inside your outdoor fire will no longer receive the outdoor fire bonus. In regards to fire bonus, outdoor caves have a line separating the warm and cold sections. Standing at the back of the cave, a fire will behave as an indoor fire due to the warm temperature. Standing at the front of the cave, fires will behave as an outdoor fire due to the cold temperature. Utilizing this bonus, you can use significantly less wood to keep an overnight fire burning in a cave by starting it in the cold section.

Giving up in a 'Life or Death' environment is what this game should punish, imo.

I love the new cooking, haven't lost an arrow since the hotfix (I might be lucky.. arrows that don't stick to a bear might take some searching..)

Don't use radial menu for cooking; 2 food poisonings at day one at launch of the new cooking system.. Never since. Reading Dev diary I think the radial menu will be adjusted to not eat raw meat by accident, just like drinking unsafe water is no longer an issue.

Endure and adapt.. Apta et supera!

Archived