Mountain Town Wolves

Shiraki

Hello everyone, I am on my 5th sandbox character, on interloper, and it has been almost 400 days, so, as a bit of fun, I decided to try to explore the new region.

However, what I walked into was a war zone.

Mountain Town is listed as being for beginners. But after just over a week there, I have killed at least 11 wolves and can confirm there are four more. They just keep spawning and they keep hunting me. I cant even leave a structure without one being near me. I had to retreat to home base to recover.

My question is, is this intended? This is a legion of wolves that I dont think even the Valley has, is this a bug on my play through?

If not, will there be a fix at some point?

Can you give us more details about the size of the area we are talking about? Is it only the town itself or the surrounding landscape as well that needs to be taken into account? The mountain town itself is rather clean (1 or 2 wolves at max) and i am playing on Interloper settings for wolf population. The surrounding landscape however is rather populated with wolves!

2 hours ago, Cr41g said:

Milton...or Mountain town is for beginners.. or people new to the game... and is great place to learn game mechanics through story mode...

Interloper however is not... therefore the conundrum..

But interloper is meant to have less animals in general, especially wolves. Theres the real conundrum to me, honestly.

1 hour ago, TerribleSurvivor said:

Can you give us more details about the size of the area we are talking about? Is it only the town itself or the surrounding landscape as well that needs to be taken into account? The mountain town itself is rather clean (1 or 2 wolves at max) and i am playing on Interloper settings for wolf population. The surrounding landscape however is rather populated with wolves!

Had 3 in the town, 4 at least atthe farm, 3 near the church and one at the broken bridge. Plus there's 4 more, 2 way behind the farm and 2 in front of the gas station near the broken down bus.

I really wish this would get addressed. Its just overkill, and with the arrows disappearing now... Just crazy

3 hours ago, Shiraki said:

But interloper is meant to have less animals in general, especially wolves. Theres the real conundrum to me, honestly.

It has less wolves than Stalker, with much slower respawn rates (especially after day 50). I've spent 100 days in post 200 day Interloper in MT, and after the first week or so you'll get a wolf occasionally, but they become somewhat scarce, but that's more or less how every region with lots of wolves work.

8 hours ago, Shiraki said:

Had 3 in the town, 4 at least atthe farm, 3 near the church and one at the broken bridge. Plus there's 4 more, 2 way behind the farm and 2 in front of the gas station near the broken down bus.

I really wish this would get addressed. Its just overkill, and with the arrows disappearing now... Just crazy

Wow that´s some voyageur-ish wolf-population to me. I heard though that wolves you kill somewhere might not respawn in the same spot or even the same map. Maybe those wolves origin from other maps where you killed them some time ago.

I am referring to this post from @Scyzara.

Hope i was able to help

I don't know the region terribly well, but there are at least 8 wolves that are difficult to avoid (1 between ropes between ML and MT, 1 just inside town, 3 by farm, 1 outside of church, 1 between trailer and bridge, 1 by plane).  There are definitely more than just these 8 in the region, so running into 11 seems a bit unlucky, as that could be a roving pack of 3, but isn't abnormal.

That there are far too many wolves in general is another issue.  Wolf populations could be cut in half for every region and there would still be too many.  More zombies doesn't make the game more fun :(

This appears to be intended, and I wouldn't get my hopes up for a fix (bad design is still a bug).  Maybe a mod will some day...

You could always try Custom Game settings and put wolves at low or even none.  Custom Games have their own set of problems, but some players find the zombie hordes too absurd and immersion breaking or too annoying and tedious to deal with and find turning them down helps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2018 at 7:52 PM, TerribleSurvivor said:

Nope.
This was on Voyageur and is repeated every 3-4 days in my current run (both this one for youtube and the seperate run I'm doing on twitch).

) and is repeated every 3-4 days in my current run.

My take on the wolves at Milton..

I've seen wolves there eating food I dropped, not as a decoy, but dropped (!) as you do to store food outside.

The wolves there behave different than the wolves elsewhere, more aggresive, bear like behaviour and insane respawn rate!

It has to have extra wolves, otherwise it'd be too easy. There's loads of loot, loads of cloth, loads of firewood, workbenches, everything. It's just a bigger version of Coastal Townsite.

The devs don't need to change anything, because we have custom settings. But if you don't want to deal with wolves, the best solution is not to go to places where there are wolves!

13 hours ago, Krait said:

I've seen wolves there eating food I dropped, not as a decoy, but dropped (!) as you do to store food outside.

There is no difference between food that is dropped for storage reasons and decoys. They are all handled the same. Wolves will smell the meat at a certain range and lock onto it the same way they do when you drop a decoy. This behavior is just much more prominent in Mountain town than anywhere else because the wolves are much closer to your base.

6 hours ago, Pillock said:

The devs don't need to change anything, because we have custom settings.

I kinda agree with your statement about difficulty in mountain town but saying that devs don´t need to change things because of custom difficulty options is highly disputable (in general) although your statement is completly reasonable. Relying on people to make their individualized gameplay experience as a developer is not advisable though (Exceptions are games that focus on individualization). Still, i agree with you.

• 7 months later...

So far I am finding that when I come into an area where there are a lot of wolves, I need to hammer them repeatedly, but eventually they don't respawn as much or at all for awhile.  On my current main which is a custom Stalker with some interloper levels, I arrived at ML to three wolves on the lake, one near the tunnel from FM (to welcome me to the map), one on the tracks close to the office and three on the tracks on the way to the dam.  I would kill them and a couple of days later they were back.  After I had killed each wolf three times the respawn dropped way off, and now, of those eight wolf spawns there has not been more than three total for the past 120 days.  I also keep the pressure on and kill them as soon as I see them.  Could be luck, but I suspect that killing them repeatedly results in lowering their respawn in the given area, as I have seen the same results with deer.

For Mountain Town map, I arrived and cleared the town.  The next day I cleared to the homestead farm.  The next day I cleared around the farm and the fourth day I cleared from town to the blocked tunnel.  I don't like wandering around running into wolves any more than necessary.  When I enter an area, my first mission is to clear wolves.  I seek them out.  I don't know where this falls in terms of what is average, but I have 104 wolf kills in 175 days.

-G

On 7/13/2018 at 11:55 AM, TerribleSurvivor said:

There is no difference between food that is dropped for storage reasons and decoys. They are all handled the same. Wolves will smell the meat at a certain range and lock onto it the same way they do when you drop a decoy. This behavior is just much more prominent in Mountain town than anywhere else because the wolves are much closer to your base.

I thought it should be that way and dropped a meat on the street just in front of the big house - stayed there for ten days until I had to eat it. No wolves had touched it. I wish meat would attract wolves for the sake of realism.

Archived