Aurora benefits

odizzido

I think it would be cool if we could use electricity during an aurora. Things like electric stoves/ovens would be usable, car heating, electric heaters in some buildings, that sort of thing.

The only issue I can see with this is that you would have less of a reason to go outside which would be too bad because it's a pretty effect. Of course I almost never go outside during one anyways.....I wish there were a reason, but I don't know what one would be. Maybe there could be ski lifts or something operating which would let you travel a good distance quickly. Or perhaps deer get distracted by the lights or something making them easier to kill? I am not sure what would be good really. I am sure someone can come up with a clever idea that makes sense.

Maybe put some secret cashes (like the new ones on Hushed River Valley) on each map on a random but accesible position that cannot be spotted (but accessed) without an active aurora. They should become visible as a faint glow when you come close. I wouldn´t put much inside of them. Something like 10 rounds for your rifle, some arrow-heads, some flares (for distress pistol or the portable ones) or other stuff that is considered rare like quality tools or emergency stims. Something like that.

So, I just thought about the same thing, but here's another two:

A microwave is now usable, giving you a fast method to cook food without any fuel

A fridge and especially a freezer can now restore food quality ( I know it's kinda weird, but the spoiled meat could be eaten again. )

On 6/19/2018 at 12:02 AM, odizzido said:

Of course I almost never go outside during one anyways.....I wish there were a reason

On interloper the weather is awful.  usually the blizzard blows all day and at night you have clear calm weather.  Sometimes the moon is waning and little light makes travel dangerous.  Animals are hard to see and getting jumped is common.

During the Aurora the weather changes and it becomes milder.  During the night time visibility is amazing.  The landscape is entirely lit up and even the man made structures act like beacons (i have never been to the light house during an Aurora event. Does the spot light at the top function ?).  The flashlight battery is charged and becomes useful.

Best weather and great visibility.  The Aurora are fantastic just to observe go out and try.

One Aurora benefit I can think of would be increase the chance for catching fish.  Maybe a special lure would be required.

8 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

During the Aurora the weather changes and it becomes milder. Yep, only -25° C felt temperature ;)

During the night time visibility is amazing. The landscape is entirely lit up and even the man made structures act like beacons (i have never been to the light house during an Aurora event. Does the spot light at the top function ?).  No, sadly the spotlight isn´t based on electricity. I think because of the obvious whaling history of Desolation Point that the spotlight needs to be fueled with whale oil. Huge disappointment though :(

The flashlight battery is charged and becomes useful. It even deters wolves which is pretty awseome :D

Best weather and great visibility.  The Aurora are fantastic just to observe go out and try. Applies to predators the same. They lock and charge on you from further distances! Not so great at all!

One Aurora benefit I can think of would be increase the chance for catching fish.  Maybe a special lure would be required. I like this idea. It´s not even unrealistic because some deep sea fishes use bioluminescent extremities as a decoy! Deep Sea Anglerfish would be an example!

I for one disagree. Electric cooking plates, microwaves and heaters consume lots and lots of energy. Seeing how the aurora causes mostly dim, flickering lights it's hard to imagine an electric cooking plate working reliably and continuously on the little aurora-supplied energy. I think I'd find it a bit immersion breaking (yes yes I know, magic aurora powering up electric stuff is already a bit unbelievable as it is, but still... my suspension of disbelief has limits!).

On 20/06/2018 at 2:29 PM, Ice Hole said:

One Aurora benefit I can think of would be increase the chance for catching fish.

That totally makes sense !! The species we fish are all predators (whitefishes eat larvas), their behavior should be altered the same as wolves, and they may bite more aggressively.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my first TLD Aurora - marched from Broken Railroad engineering sheds to the Mystery Lake park office in one straight burst - somehow didn't see a single wolf or bear - ahhh the bliss of noob ignorance about such things.

The one change I would like to see to the Aurora mechanics are that flashlights charge, and RETAIN their charge after the aurora is over.  Go ahead, use the flashlight during the day to find your way through a mine.  If the battery dies, just wait for the next aurora and it will recharge.  This would make them extremely useful tools.

Either that or give the flashlight unlimited charge during the aurora, and useless any other time.  Current state, flashlights are mostly just fun things to play around with at night, rather than an actual useful object worth 1kg of your pack space.

Archived