#287 Movement and menu lockup after wolf attack

Odyanii

Ran into a peculiar bug while on Coastal Highway that made it impossible to move or use menus, though the game continued to run.

A wolf noticed me near the gas station, I tried to light a flare, but he reached me at the exact moment the sound of the flare lighting played. I managed to fight him off but afterwards I found myself completely unable to move. I was able to look around, and I could see the game itself hadn't frozen as I could still see deer walking around just fine. I could open menus, but was not able to do anything in them. Clicking on any buttons, either in the survival or paused menus, didn't do anything, though they would depress and make the button press noise as normal.

In addition, while I could still hear the flare I had lit, it was not in my hand or on the ground, and I could equip anything else in my hand including another unlit flare. Since the menus weren't working I had to force close the game. My only guess is that the wolf attacking me at the exact moment the flare lit might've caused some kind of glitch. Playing on Windows 7.

I can confirm this, it happened to me on Coastal Highway too, near the cabin east of the fishing camp.

Conditions were nearly the same but wolf didn't attack me, and it looked like he was experiencing problems with pathfinding. If i went forward (closer to him) he was standing still, if I went sideways he was following the parallel course. He couldn't able to approach me at all. At some point the game has nailed me in place just like Odyanii described.

I had to terminate the game's process and obviously the log file wasn't saved after this.

Guest Alan Lawrance

@koderr -- The log file would still be there even if you terminate... things are flushed to the file as they occur.

@Odyanii -- Nothing seemed unusual in your log file. Is it possible you started a new game before sending it in? Every time you launch the game, the log file gets reset.

@koderr -- The log file would still be there even if you terminate... things are flushed to the file as they occur.

Yep, I know it now... Unfortunately I restarted the game right after termination. Will try to reproduce it again.

You get a new log file for each game so the log file of your previous game should still be there.

It happened again, this time on Mystery Lake near the Tunnel Collapse.

I was running away from the wolf and then suddenly I can't move, wolf jumps on me, I can't even fight back or quit to the main menu.

The sad thing there's no timestamps in the log file so I can't tell when these NullReferenceExceptions are occured.

This happened to me too. One time in Mystery lake southern access and the other time in Coastal Highway (on the ice near jackrabbit island and weak ice area). I don't remember much but both times I was running away from a wolf (he didn't reach me/attack me, not sure if he was having path issues, I scared him away with a flare -I don't remember- or I just hear the wolf near by and not actually saw it). The first time I was trying to light a flare to throw it to the wolf (not sure if I managed to do it). I think both times I was running backwards when this happened (or looking back to check if the wolf was near me). I found myself unable to move just as Odyanii described (game was running and I could look around, but I couldn't walk -and there wasn't any wolf I could see-). I had to close the game.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived