When animals bleed do they always die?

greggbert

Title says it all.  I fight a wolf with a melee weapon or shoot him with a rifle.  He leaves a blood trail.  For whatever reason I can't follow, I go to my shelter.  The next morning I come out looking for a corpse.  Does he die 100% of the time?   

I have already confirmed that everything except a moose will always die if there is an arrow sticking out of it.   I'm talking about bleeding with melee

Bonus question:  If I go inside while the bleeding animal is still alive have I somehow increased or decreased the likelihood that he will die?  

If there is a blood trail then it should eventually die yes.

You can track this if you want via the Journal > Stats > Wolves killed. Make a note if the number killed when you fight it, then sometime after it will increase the killed count by one and you know it has died.

Just where it died depends. Normally I go into a cabin etc. and if I check and come out there will be crows spawned above the wolf corpse which helps find it.

I don't think anything changes the chance it will die. If it is wounded and bleeding it will die eventually, how fast depends on the weapon and strength of attack damage.

Possible that using a blunt melee weapon it doesn't bleed but is scared away.

Actually, the answer is no.  Although they usually do.

It may be that transitioning to an interior or changing zones before something bleeds out can stop it from dying.  It may be that there is max bleed damage any particular wound can cause, so a shot to the foot that causes a bleeding wound might not do enough damage that the animal dies.  It may be that some in game event, like a pack of wolves teleporting to another location, magically stops the bleeding.

I've certainly had times where an animal (like a bear, so I know there was only one on the map), has been wounded and leaving a blood trail, but doesn't die.  But again, its more common that they eventually bleed out.

By the way, do wolves always die when wounded by knife? I remember when I first played Wintermute and I understood they may, I chased them after fighting and sometimes they turned and attacked me again. My bad, followimg them basically pulling at their tails. They would die during the second fight due to low condition, so I still don't know if it was pre-death desperation or they had stopped bleeding.

If they are bleeding (blood trail) then they will eventually die. But it largely depends what animal we are talking about and where exactly your bullet/flare/arrow hit to them. If chest, deers typically die while wolves will take some time to die and with the bears taking 1-2 hours to die or sort of.

Moose dont bleed out so they are the toughest and difficult animals to kill.

For more info and guide, check the wikia. https://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Hunting

@Doc Feral,  I'm not completely certain about this, but when a wolf breaks from a struggle it may be running out of fear.  The game may treat this differently than if the wolf is running for something like self preservation (because you've almost removed all of its hit points... um, condition).  All weapons (and presumably your bare hands as well) have a chance to end a struggle early (effectively scaring off the wolf).  If they are running from fear it would make sense if they can aggro again after the fear effect wears off (much like from fire, an arrow graze or near miss, etc.).

I'm pretty sure that any wolf will initiate a struggle if you walk into it, regardless of how injured it is or even your game settings.  You could always start up a pilgrim game and try to hug a wolf if you'd like to test it.

Probably after a knife fight they'll die anyway, maybe if fear subsides they'll attack even if still bleeding. Hatchet wounds are more serious so blood loss kills them before they recover from fear. Now that I think about it, in my first Wintermute game I found a dead wolf in front of the church in the morning and blamed it to infighting, forgetting Will had fought it with his mighty metal shard before going inside to rest. And I think that's the worst blade in the game.

I still can't get a straight answer to this.  To me it seems like wolves don't always die when they are bleeding (seems to be about 20% of the time they don't die) and it seems like going inside while they are bleeding seems to increase the probability that they will not.

My experience tells me that if a wolf bleeds it doesn't always die.  But I can't get good confirmation from anyone who knows for sure.

There's a long-standing issue where if you shoot an animal and go inside while it's bleeding out, it will stop bleeding and be on its merry way. You can avoid this by going in, leaving again in less than a minute, and then going back in again.

TBH, it's been around for so long I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed by now... 

Supposedly the whole animals ceasing to bleed out upon the player entering an interior of a building has been fixed as of the most recent major update. Haven't actually played this to check myself but I wonder if it's true.

I just shot a bear on ML and it started running all over. I went in a cabin to wait a bit (passed an hour) and came out to him still charging around. I repeated the process with the same result. I had seen the rifle skill indicator so I know I hit him. It was late at that point and fog had rolled in, so I wasn't about to chase him. Instead I went to sleep inside. 

Next AM he's nowhere around and my "Bears Killed" indicator hadn't budged. Will a wounded animal continue to run around for literally hours and still not die after a whole night?

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎24 at 2:12 PM, bighara said:

I just shot a bear on ML and it started running all over. I went in a cabin to wait a bit (passed an hour) and came out to him still charging around. I repeated the process with the same result. I had seen the rifle skill indicator so I know I hit him. It was late at that point and fog had rolled in, so I wasn't about to chase him. Instead I went to sleep inside. 

Next AM he's nowhere around and my "Bears Killed" indicator hadn't budged. Will a wounded animal continue to run around for literally hours and still not die after a whole night?

Bears are known to reset when you go inside and sleep. Not sure if ver 1.34 fixed this yet.

On 6/24/2018 at 2:12 PM, bighara said:

I have shot many a bear with both rifle and bow to only have them running around in circles while leaving a blood trail, going inside to "wait" and the coming out and  finding nothing.  Only to run into the bear strolling along like nothing ever happened days later in game.  It was once explained to me that the wound must be a mortal wound in order for the bear to die by bleeding out.  Otherwise they just recover.   I shot one bear in Pleasant Valley 4 separate times before finally killing it and recovered all four arrows for my efforts.  Apparently only my 4th hit was a mortal wound.  Go figure.

There's a long standing bug where if you go inside (i.e. a place with a loading screen) the animal stops bleeding... unless you exit again in under a minute. So, if you need to retreat indoors due to cold or whatever, go in, immediately exit, then go back in again, and the animal will continue bleeding until they bleed out.

AFAIK, this bug has existed ever since I bought the game, which is odd... makes me think that while it was a bug, the devs have decided to leave it in to make things a little more rando.

I have run into a problem where the wolves die inside rocks (deer too sometimes, thought their hooves stick up a bit more).  If you can, watch what cliffs/sheer faces/rocks the wolves run over.  There's a strip of water in PV where the critters will die under the ice, can't get even deer out of that bit.  But my general experience is the smaller animal dies if it leaves a blood trail, not just a blood splotch.

I have tested this several times and going inside causes bears to instantly heal 100% of the time, unless they are shot with an arrow.  
Wolves also heal from knife, axe, gunshot if the WOLVES KILLED counter has not recorded the death at the time you go inside.

I even observed on several occasions that the blood trail for the bear actually ENDS AT THE PLACE THE BEAR WAS STANDING WHEN YOU WENT INSIDE!!!!!!  So going inside definitely triggers the bears healing.

So the short answer is that NO.  Bleeding animals who are not injured by arrows will always heal up if you go inside before they die.

Archived