Snowballs: Hushed River Valley

Drifter Man

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowball 56 / Day 10

First thing in the morning, I make a dash to the cave next to the rope to Mammoth Falls to say hello to my friend. He doesn't say anything in return but gives me matches and a prybar. Back in the Ice Cave, I process the prybar into two pieces of scrap metal - I don't need two prybars but I definitely need scrap. Then I pick up some cured birch saplings and a fresh maple sapling which I got only recently and go deeper into the cave, without light. I feel my way to the waterfall compartment and emerge from the Reclusive Falls at the Hushed River.

This "maneuver" depleted my temperature bar but that would be depleted anyway by the time I'd reach this place on the surface, and I avoided danger. From there, I move to Offset Falls and then Stairsteps Lake, all without incident. I start a fire in the cave to Milton and finally make water - I've been suffering from dehydration most of the day. Before nightfall I move through the cave and fall asleep at the other end.

I was hoping to find some shoes... the leather ones I have are falling apart (18%) and without socks my feet would be badly exposed. But no luck so far.

Snowball 56 / Day 11

Today it is across the MT region - the shortest path to the river and then to the rope climb to Milton Basin, avoiding all human shelters and all human everything. I make a warming break in the cave between the two ropes. 20 matches left as of now. When leaving, I make a mistake: forget the partially cured maple sapling behind. I realize it right below the rope but it would be crazy to climb up again.

screen_f4d949a1-6dbd-4e77-92d1-c27fe7adf046_hi.thumb.jpg.5ca33082cc3c796f8787902033967449.jpg

The moose I saw from above turns out to be a deer, and although moose marks are around on trees, I don't run into it. The wolf can be seen on the Basin but gives me no trouble. I quickly search Hermit's cabin: accelerant, antibiotics and a can opener, just one day after I'd smashed all my cans. Great. On the way to Marsh Ridge I sprain an ankle and a wrist. I hope I can climb down the "ropeless" climbs with that because I don't want to spend four of my six painkiller pills. Fortunately, it turns out I can.

At Marsh Ridge I cut two maple saplings and check the backpack before jumping into the cave: A can of Dog's Best Friend (Yes! My second recycled can!) and an emergency stim. I reach the cave in 33% condition.

My bedroll is at 50% and deserves repair. Chance of success: 70% with the sewing kit, 50% without it. I don't hesitate for long and use the sewing kit - I can't afford to waste two pieces of cloth. The repair succeeds.

Time to get some planning done. I'll be busy in the next few days.

On 30/07/2018 at 8:07 AM, Drifter Man said:

Question: does anyone know if a magnifying lens can be found in HRV or FM? If not, what would be the nearest place? Those matches won't last long.

Interloper difficulty of course. Calling @Dan_ :)

Reporting for duty my good sir! :wolf:

I'll be honest with you, I did expeditions around the skeg to confirm the existence of the fabled mag lens by the rocky overhang at the shortwave tower and got zilch in return. I've circled the spots many times, made fires to break the crates and I've matched the loot tables and searched that spot many many times and I'm yet to find a mag lens there. I've found the backpack, the wood and the acelerant but no magic fire devices by the eastern rocks.

I might not be looking in the correct spots for it though, at least 15 test survivors went there with the correct loot tables and got nothing in return, some of these gave their lives for this lost cause. These were all test runs for my Survivorman series, which is halted for the time being. Went on to install more RAM on my system and apparently I've fried my mobo or CPU.

I know @Ruruwawa is an expert in all things Interloper and far more experienced than I am, so I fully trust his assessment that there is a mag lens spawn. Hopefully you get a safe path from HRV to FM one so #56 can enjoy guilty-free fires every once in a while. Amazing how much map and wolf patrol zones knowledge can help one make it out of HRV safely, your survivor is looking pretty good!

EDIT: 

@FunkyFuggerson Might be onto something there, isn't the mag lens spawn spot near the shortwave tower? In which case it'd be near the Low Blind. Is there a mag lens spawn spot near the High Blind?

2 hours ago, Dan_ said:

I know @Ruruwawa is an expert in all things Interloper

I'm no expert, and certainly not an FM expert!  But I have experiences like everyone, and in two interloper games I've picked up a mag lens on the outcrop to the east of the shortwave tower.  I don't know the loot spot Funky mentioned but I plan to go check it the next time I leave HRV.  Looking forward to learning a new spot.

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

I'm no expert, and certainly not an FM expert!  But I have experiences like everyone, and in two interloper games I've picked up a mag lens on the outcrop to the east of the shortwave tower.  I don't know the loot spot Funky mentioned but I plan to go check it the next time I leave HRV.  Looking forward to learning a new spot.

Oh yeah, I'm also hoping someone finds it as it would greatly increase the potential for a long FM stay.  I'm very curious to this as many other people reportedly found it as well, but I haven't seen reports of it being there lately. I wonder if it got removed at some point with the constant updates?

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

Sorry to hear this!

It happens, static can get you even if careful. I did to not have my static discharge wristband nearby and went for it, my system is also not terribly expensive so hopefully it's the mobo and not the VGA or CPU. It's terrible to be away from the game for a while, though. 

7 hours ago, Dan_ said:

I'm very curious to this as many other people reportedly found it as well, but I haven't seen reports of it being there lately. I wonder if it got removed at some point with the constant updates?

Maybe.  I haven't started in FM in a long time... might be a year since I've seen it.  The other usual spots for a magnifier (TWM, PV, ML, DP) still yield one routinely, however.  Not everywhere in a single sandbox, of course.  But I find one every game.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it seems that the matter of the magnifying lens in FM is not settled :) I'll search all places I know if I get the chance (i.e. if wolves give me the chance). I've been to the Shortwave Tower a few times but usually avoided it because of wolves, with the experience that the loot is generally not worth the danger. But I may have been wrong all this time.

@Dan_ sorry to hear about your rig! I look forward to the continuation of the SURVIVORMAN adventure.

Snowball 56 / Day 12

Today's challenge: fetch two deer hides and four guts. Use only one match.

In the morning I left the cave to check the Marsh Ridge more closely. On the way I killed two bunnies - did they do something to the sounds they make when you hold them in your hands? I felt a lot more guilty than usual! I noted with satisfaction that there was no trace of a moose, so I am safe here. Crows soon guided me to a deer carcass. I looked in the sky - light fog. My plan took final shape.

I dropped the rabbits at the deer carcass and climbed up to Milton Basin, where I knew I would find another deer carcass close to the transition point. I had to do it in this order - I can carry fire "downstairs" but not "upstairs". The weather held as I took 2 kg meat from the carcass, hide and two guts, and cooked the meat in place. Then I made torches from the remaining fire and returned to Marsh Ridge.

The first climb was without problems, I "caught" the climb and the torch dropped down where I could collect it. But I couldn't do the same with the second climb, the torch would stay on the top. I failed twice and always climbed back up. Then I needed to light a new torch as the old one was almost out, so I dropped it... and it vanished under the terrain. Fortunately I was able to find it under the snow and light a new torch off it.

Then I realized I can just mountain-goat down with the torch in hand, and that's what I did.

I started a second fire next to the carcass on the Marsh Ridge: 2.5 kg meat! I've never seen more than 2 kg on a ravaged deer carcass, they must have made them bigger as part of rebalancing the game. I boiled water, harvested the deer and the rabbits, cooked meat... and suddenly, in the middle of harvesting, the fire went out. Me, idiot, forgot to check whether it had enough fuel.

Grudgingly, I struck a second match and finished the job, working past nightfall. Challenge failed.

At least I used the fire and the torches I pulled from it to search the cave down to the second exit at waterfall. Found a third deer carcass inside, some coal and the mountaineering rope.

Snowball 56 / Day 13

My first idea was to replenish my supply of sticks but a blizzard crossed my plans. Instead I harvested the carcass in the cave (1.7 kg meat) and waited until the afternoon for the weather to clear up. Then I went to deploy the rope and search the rest of Marsh Ridge, but didn't find anything except sticks and reishi mushrooms. There was a corpse (empty) and another deer, alive this time. On my way back I killed two more rabbits and felt even more guilty. However, now I have three deer hides, four rabbit pelts and ten guts curing. Enough material to craft everything I need.

screen_51d851c4-ce36-4679-af69-c4ccd408b76d_hi.thumb.jpg.75a0c6a2f69132474c0622ba64c16d96.jpg

1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

I can carry fire "downstairs" but not "upstairs".

People complain a lot about torch-throwing vs brandishing, but here's where the mechanic really shines.  Just throw the torch up, or down, the "climb" walls.   In fact I throw the torch "up" the rope in the ice caves.   That's near the limit of throw distance but I can manage it if I stand a meter or two to the left of the rope where the cave floor rises.

34 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

People complain a lot about torch-throwing vs brandishing, but here's where the mechanic really shines.  Just throw the torch up, or down, the "climb" walls.   In fact I throw the torch "up" the rope in the ice caves.   That's near the limit of throw distance but I can manage it if I stand a meter or two to the left of the rope where the cave floor rises.

Gosh! I never thought about this. I never throw torches, I'm hardly even aware of the mechanic. This would have saved me two matches in HRV. Thanks for this tip, I'll use it next time.

What I've been doing up to now was to go to the edge of the cliff and grab the rope with the torch in hand. When done right, the torch just falls down to be collected later. Throwing it is a much more elegant solution.

18 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

In return, I have a pro tip against rabbit guilt. If you left-click already during the animation while you're picking up the stunned bunny, you kill it before it makes much of these sad/scared/pleading/accusing sounds. And don't look it in the eyes!

@Drifter Man's tips for more relaxed killing. :) 

Could you do me a favour and do an experiment (or tell me the solution if you already know): Toss a burning torch to the floor, then right-click and move it about with the "placing" mechanic. Does it light the environment where you move it? If my memory is correct, we can "move" items around like this even to very far places, only we can't place them there. I would be interested to know whether we can turn the torch into some kind of remote lighting instrument like this. Same could work for the lantern or flare, of course. Secondly, I would like to know whether any other effects of an item while "being placed" transpire to the potential placement location. My theory would be no (as it should be). But I really don't know.

EDIT: Hm, maybe this needs further explanation. One such effect could be wolf-scaring. So you would have to "move" a burning flare or torch in front of a wolf with the "placing" mechanic. Other item effects don't come to my mind at the moment, but there might be more...

It is shameful to ask other people to conduct TLD-scientific experiments instead of doing it myself. But RL circumstances are more or less keeping me from playing at the moment. Still, my inquisitive mind rages on inside my little skull... hence...

ANOTHER EDIT: And if you should do it, please try not to lose your life in the process. I would feel sorry to see Snowball 56 have a meltdown over this.

Snowball 56 / Day 14

Today's challenge: check out Low Blind and the area around the Shortwave Tower. Use only 1 match. Don't get eaten.

It's morning again and I walk out of my cave into the fog on the Marsh Ridge. It's the right kind of fog, the one I like. I take the rope down. No deer are around this time. Carefully, I collect sticks. As expected, I soon start freezing. The Low Blind only has an empty backpack to offer, but at least I pick the cattails clean.

screen_9c11e429-3294-4571-86d7-fec10cb1ab03_hi.thumb.jpg.24dd45f4f14d3b03e93d5b2ff138b2b7.jpg

screen_7c7fbe03-5255-4bd3-9cf7-67e8ab6c6780_hi.thumb.jpg.f433f1553b1faf1a8c62069d0686c394.jpg

I'm about to walk on to get some more as I spot a wolf crossing my path in the fog. Could be close enough to see me, but fortunately it doesn't. I quickly retreat and take a longer route towards Hat Creek. If the wolf is out on the ice, it can't be here.

A while later I reach the Waterfall and the cave, and warm up a little bit inside in my bedroll. Then I carefully climb towards the Shortwave Tower, but the wolf is not here today. I have the place all for myself. At the tower I find a can opener, a bandage and a chocolate bar. The rock overhang further to the east has a ravaged deer carcass and an abandoned campfire. I collect some stick and reishi mushrooms and return to the cave to warm up again.

screen_ba66b4b4-0848-4ad5-a9ba-57b2054e7aae_hi.thumb.jpg.3df85df7970ef75780a5c2a255dd74e8.jpg

screen_a283a16f-8de8-4767-ac3a-e135a4838855_hi.thumb.jpg.8ecf533ce2945268dc92c6fbb559ebe7.jpg

In the evening I return to Marsh Ridge using "the other way" :) I go to sleep in 33% condition, I was freezing most of the day.

Snowball 56 / Day 15

Light duty. I start a fire before daybreak to cook some remaining meat and boil water. I test @Hotzn's theory - the answer is no, the torch is "turned off" when you right-click it and gives no light until you LMB-place it again. I think it is safe to assume it will not work to trigger wolf fear.

screen_3caf388f-4a0c-4f33-9d81-f8ddedf10cdc_hi.thumb.jpg.70b164c0cef4ded405d475a7f09cfa06.jpg

I'm used to the wind blowing from the north/west in FM, so the fire should be safe in this position. However, in the afternoon wind briefly picks up from the southeast. It's only for a few minutes before giving way to fog again, but it's enough to reduce my fire to 9 minutes. Fortunately I'm babysitting and the loss is no more than 1 hour of fuel - I was aware of the risk and didn't put in more sticks than necessary.

I also briefly take advantage the "extra cooking spot" exploit on tilted campfires to increase my water output. Just for fun, I don't intend to use this regularly.

screen_10d717c2-e542-48c4-a913-116afe1fb6f4_hi.thumb.jpg.20eedbda4c780e902a17bc57cd7d5b55.jpg

Snowball 56 / Day 16

Collecting sticks around Marsh Ridge, conserving condition.

Snowball 56 / Day 17

Condition 94%. A beautiful morning. Today we visit the Spences.

screen_b4b11a62-4a33-46bd-9768-2141e2a87813_hi.thumb.jpg.e8585215c8560dd61ac21b3e36cc4083.jpg

Of course there are limits to the beauty. I am freezing before I pass the Low Blind, but I take my time and collect cattails and sticks. There is a log across the train cars in the middle - I climb it up, crouched, to check the place for wolves, but it's all clear. This is one of the few elevated locations offering some field of view around.

By the time I approach the homestead, I'm already down to 50% condition and the risk of hypothermia is rising. Unfortunately, wolves are guarding the entrance, they patrol right at the homestead. Strong wind is blowing now and I don't want to take chances. For now I start a fire in the destroyed shack, cook a tomato soup I found on the way, and wait for better weather.

screen_3c564de1-29e9-4e1c-b090-61848cd37363_hi.thumb.jpg.54745ddc8acb8b6af01cdc4e4eda20a4.jpg

screen_adb672b3-1bb2-42c2-8df5-f1a829c981f6_hi.thumb.jpg.a7503d003bdad57c1677435efd98373f.jpg

Finally the wind stops and a fog falls instead. I carefully edge forward to the homestead and start another fire closer by. Then I throw some stones around in hope to fool the wolves I can't see and walk out.

I get almost immediately barked at and in the fog I'm not sure if I can return to the fire. I decide to make a run for the building. I can hear the wolf running behind me but today I'm fast enough. As soon as I'm at the forge, the wolf gives up and runs away. Good, the place is not only windproof but also wolfproof.

Fire, make water, break down crates and the metal shelf - we'll need metal and firewood. Search the homestead - apart from the static matches, there are no life-changing finds. Two cans of dog food (also static I believe) will not survive the night. A pair of ragged trail boots is slightly better than the pair of ragged leather shoes I currently wear. Painkiller pills, nice. Wool socks in the safe, okay. The locker is locked, I'll have to bring the prybar next time. This is probably the only place in the part of the world I restricted myself to where the prybar is actually needed.

screen_5491f67a-434a-486d-b028-f9e6c17c6e00.thumb.jpg.3c2477ece0743d6b215355f7044cb63f.jpg

screen_df0200a9-f9d5-44f0-8dab-4121d2308e34_hi.thumb.jpg.1954b3e60c39bb394f76300b30c61636.jpg

screen_0093f9cb-4b92-4aa5-8c8f-e9df387e8905_hi.thumb.jpg.dab62cdeeba128e8c8ff1e731820c627.jpg

I craft two arrowheads before going to sleep. More crafting tomorrow. A wolf shows up to give me good night, and promises to keep me safe while I'm asleep.

Snowball 56 / Day 18

Today I make an improvised knife and six more arrowheads. The weather is really bad in the afternoon and I can't leave, especially not with the wolves around. I transfer the fire to the workbench and craft nine arrow shafts plus three hooks. Everything is ready for next time when I arrive with cured pelts and guts.

I ran out of tinder after a ridiculous amount of failed firestarting attempts, and spend some time breaking down sticks to make some more.

Blizzard at nightfall. I transfer the fire back to the forge and go to bed at around midnight. I really hope I can get out of this place tomorrow.

Snowball 56 / Day 19

The day at the homestead begins with heavy fog. I use the time to scrap my old leather shoes and organize my things. The fog lifts before noon and, with a torch in hand and warm reishi soup in my stomach, I leave the building to break the siege. The homestead wolves are patrolling farther away and give me no trouble. But the path to the cave to the west is blocked by two other wolves. Fortunately I can see them from afar and move them out of the way with campfires. The cave offers "Survive the Outdoors" (my third copy), accelerant and good amount of coal. However,  I don't pause here to make a fire, and carry on to the north.

After taking a moment to assess the situation around the railway tracks, I come down from the cliffs and search the train cars. I sprain an ankle while doing that, so I finally start a fire to make rosehip tea. At that moment strong wind suddenly picks up, fortunately my fire is sheltered.

screen_95590bd9-e7cb-4de8-8e79-a29ee6a00b9b_hi.thumb.jpg.1634b66543da1c476e26cf6d98933b4b.jpg

I don't find anything around the tracks but I spot a wolf potentially blocking the way to Marsh Ridge. I may be too tired anyway to climb safely, so I take a longer route to Hat Creek and then up using "the other way" again. All in all, I didn't find much in this part of the Muskeg, but the eastern half is still waiting for me.

Wow your making a lot of fires! I always thought you had to value things like matches and firewood as if they were gold in loper. I'm 100% your mostly using torches (hopefully:()  but I didn't know you could get this much sticks and stuff on interloper, I usually found 10-20 when I am wandering around. But then again, I'm not to good at looking and I often don't have the best of luck when it comes to foraging, I'm looking at you maple saplings!

13 hours ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Wow your making a lot of fires! I always thought you had to value things like matches and firewood as if they were gold in loper. I'm 100% your mostly using torches (hopefully:()  but I didn't know you could get this much sticks and stuff on interloper, I usually found 10-20 when I am wandering around. But then again, I'm not to good at looking and I often don't have the best of luck when it comes to foraging, I'm looking at you maple saplings!

I do what I can - all fires mentioned in the Day 17 - Day 19 entries were started with one match spent at the destroyed shack before the Homestead. I carried that fire around with torches for more than two days until wind blew my torch out when I was approaching Hat Creek on my way home. I started 7 campfires (including 3 defensive ones, which require little fuel) plus two fires in the forge with that one match.

Unfortunately, it's hard to do this in HRV, where the weather usually doesn't allow you to carry a burning torch.

As for fuel, I hoard it compulsively. I never miss out on sticks unless I'm really in a hurry. My mindset around sticks is that every stick not picked up is a missed opportunity - it will respawn but you could have two sticks then. Also, I break down branches and scrub brushes when I'm close to warm base or a fire. And I hoard coal. I brought about 20 with me from HRV, knowing I will need it while crafting. Finally, when leaving a campfire, I pull torches from it and break them down to sticks, usually right there at the campfire, to recover some of the firewood put in.

The main challenge is to haul it safely to the Spences. Tens of hours' worth of fuel is heavy, this is why coal is important.

11 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Thanks for testing the torch-placing +1. FM is still uncharted territory for me, never spent any mentionable time there.

No problem, thanks - it was an interesting theory, Professor :) It didn't cost me any resources or time I didn't have. I'll test a wolf when I get the opportunity. With a defensive fire behind me, of course. Safety first.

The placing mechanic is underrated. It has been established that it allows us

a) to recognize shapes in pitch darkness, even to navigate through darkness (best use a large item - the bedroll; campfire might also work);

b) to carry around one heavy item without being bogged down by its weight (not sure if this still works);

c) to occasionally place items in really interesting places :).

I am sure there is more to discover here.

Snobwall 56 / Day 20

Recovering condition. Sticks have respawned on Marsh Ridge, so I collect them. So did coal in the cave - I found 6 pieces without light, using, incidentally, a campfire for navigation in the dark (note @Hotzn - the weight and scent value of an item that you RMB-carry around are the same as if you had them in your backpack).

Before sleep I organize my backpack for my second trip to Spences. I'm taking the prybar this time, for the locker. Hacksaw is not needed, I'll have the knife. Neither is water, I have a 10-liter stash at Spences, and I'll certainly be making warming breaks. I drop all cattails - again, I have some at Spences and will pick up more on the way.

Most importantly: material and fuel.

screen_843631e6-32f0-4050-8ffe-8c8c9efec568.thumb.jpg.86f1fb093805864fffe1cceafed9826e.jpg

screen_55835c37-fc78-4ebc-ab09-b37077b32099.thumb.jpg.ae67349248fc3b315d50e969d4731c7e.jpg

Snowball 56 / Day 21

Another beautiful morning. I go down to Hat Creek and then on to Poacher's Camp, where I start a warming fire in the fire barrel to make water and reishi soup. Clear skies give way to fog. I can hear the bear wandering around and stay inside the train car until I can confirm it is gone. Then I search the surrounding of the train. Altogether I find a flare, sweatshirt (immediately turned to cloth), a few pieces of scrap metal and coal.

screen_85c1a843-bfef-4e45-a6cb-a92ddd8049ca_hi.thumb.jpg.90700d16e608f86cded38d38c3ff4c84.jpg

screen_7bdd00b5-ae1b-49a0-b1ef-2038766ffb2d_hi.thumb.jpg.94226f2de199f32cc8b9c5e88f4e0196.jpg

When ready, I leave into the fog. First I lose my way but eventually I locate the High Blind, and find: matches :), an archery book, more fuel and a hacksaw. So now I have a hacksaw with me anyway.

After another warming break (still the same fire of course, carried from the Pocaher's Camp), I approach the Bunkhouses. If the wolves are patrolling at the Homestead, this should be safe. But no, I can see them here today. So I backtrack and eventually reach the Homestead from my usual northern approach.

screen_51e726db-afb2-42a1-b875-50f7b85e4842_hi.thumb.jpg.c0033ff120961c625a6a6671c7c8ca58.jpg

I revive the campfire at the workbench and get to work. Four lines first, for fishing tackle (improvised sewing kit - no fishing in my zone). Then I remember I wanted to check the locker, I brought the prybar for that purpose. I take the prybar and pry and pry and pry, and the locker opens, and inside I find...

Cliffhanger!  :o

I bet I know what it is:  you got the ultra-rare, coal-powered ultralight!  Man, I'm envious.  It'll be a pain to haul it all the way to DP for the crossing to the mainland, but at least you don't have to haul coal too.  When you get back to civilization, have a beer for me bruh.

Archived