Remember when fans said that Hinterland wouldnt implement most stuff from the roadmap? Wrong!!

thekillergreece

Remember back May 2017 when fans began accusing Hinterland for hidding stuff and for not implementing most of the stuff from the roadmap? Many of them stated "they will not implement most of roadmap stuff". Of course, what they missed is: Most of them wont be implemented in time and would be implement at later time.

I decided to scavenge a bit and found the old roadmap. Whatever was left of it. I am gonna tick whichever got implemented, confirmed not to be implemented and which are still yet to be implemented or confirmed not to be implemented.

Moose - IMPLEMENTED as of Dec 2017.

Cougar - MOST LIKELY IN THE WORKS. Has been talked several times and hinted by Raphael on twitter right before and after Moose release. Might be wrong.

Improved Cooking; more of the cooking action happens in-game (vs. in menus); cooking happens in game-time (i.e. not accelerated time), so you can multi-task. - IMPLEMENTED as of June 2018.

Frostbite affliction - IMPLEMENTED as of Dec 2016.

Axe (tool) - UKNOWN.

Wellbeing system (i.e. mental/emotional cost of survival; “willpower locket” fits in here) - CONFIRMED NOT TO BE IMPLEMENTED

Aurora gameplay effects & hazards - IMPLEMENTED as of Aug 2017.

Widespread narrative collectibles - IMPLEMENTED as of Aug 2017.

Backer naming and writing rewards integrated into game world - IMPLEMENTED as of Aug 2017.

Primitive firemaking skill (ex. bow-drill) - UNKNOWN BUT A SKILL OF BOW HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED.

Improved first-person presence (low-hanging fruit) - UNKNOWN

Improved Sprains - APPARENTLY IMPLEMENTED OR UNKNOWN

Improved Infections - APPARENTLY IMPLEMENTED OR UNKNOWN

New Clothing system & all new Clothing assets - IMPLEMENTED as of Dec 2016.

NPCs in the Sandbox - MOST LIKELY IN THE WORKS. Has been talked several times on Raphael's twitter and there was a hint to raidings by raids. Most likely a gameplay option prior starting a new save file.

Parley system - UNKNOWN.

Improved firemaking (blowing mechanic; first-person presence) - UNKNOWN.

Revolver - LIKELY DENIED OR IN THE WORKS. Raphael had stated once that new weapons would be added but it is unknown if revolver will be one of them aside of a bear spear.

Non-map based Navigation system - IMPLEMENTED as of June 2017.

Knowledge system - IMPLEMENTED as of Aug 2017 ONLY for STORY MODE. UNKNOWN if it will go to SURVIVAL MODE.

Improved first-person presence (more complex interactions) - UNKNOWN.

Snowshoes or Nordic skis? - UNKNOWN, presumably DENIED.

Steam Trading Cards - IMPLEMENTED as of Aug 2017.
Mod support - MOST LIKELY IN THE WORKS. Has been talked several times by Raphael.
Spring Sandbox - WONT HAPPEN. This is due to the fact it will need a complete game overhaul which is more like creating a SEQUEL (TLD 2) rather than an update.
Moving water - PRESUMABLY DENIED.
Full-season survival Sandbox (transitioning from season to season) - SAME FOR SPRING SANDBOX.
New travel options: Canoe, Horse - UNKNOWN.
Seamless world streaming - UNKNOWN
Long-distance travel - UNKNOWN

Now, let's see. Where is the "most of the roadmap stuff wont be implemented"? Of 30 roadmap stuff, 10 have been implemented, 2 are probably implemented (the improved sprains and infections), 4 are in works, 10 havent been talked about anymore and 4 are denied (namely the season sandboxes).

10 have been implemented and 4 are, to our best speculation, in works. But remember, it was always aspirational. Not all features would be implemented in time and not all would be implemented at all. Yet, at least to my and many other surprises, they implemented 10 major features (from roadmap) into the game, something that we never expected it, particularly the new cooking system.

I want to thank Hinterlands for continuing updating the sandbox mode and I truly hope they will not stop for a very long time. I imagine TLD having more than 12 regions already with loads of stuff implemented (hopefulyl new animals, dog companions, new weapons, NPCs, horses to travel, etc). 

If someone could answer, is the seasonal sandbox still being considered or not anymore?

Edited by thekillergreece
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

Seasonal Sandbox will be a different game entirely, so you can write it as not happening. 

Raph has stated that the well-being system and the locket will not be put into the game

Edited accordingly. I never felt the wellbeing idea would fit in such game.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the first person presence were things like implementing the hand holding animations for the rifle, bow, torch, matches/light sources and so forth. More complex interactions might be considered reloading the rifle, or if you're ambitious things like placing objects in the world and collecting loose items from the world.

• Upvote 2

Wellbeing lockets: implemented

Not being able to craft or read in the dark is in, reading with low statuses is denied, use of weapons with sprains is prevented, climbing while encumbered or sprained is blocked, these actually fit into well-being lockets in my books.

Injuries and Hinderences kinda count to me. 

Improved infections and sprains have been implemented

But don't forget this roadmap was called aspirational, which means nothing was promised to us. They stuck to the plan pretty well though!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

Yeah, the first person presence were things like implementing the hand holding animations for the rifle, bow, torch, matches/light sources and so forth. More complex interactions might be considered reloading the rifle, or if you're ambitious things like placing objects in the world and collecting loose items from the world.

Oh. I assume what you said is Improved first-person presence (low-hanging fruit) while the complex one havent been implemented (yet?).

3 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Not being able to craft or read in the dark is in, reading with low statuses is denied, use of weapons with sprains is prevented, climbing while encumbered or sprained is blocked, these actually fit into well-being lockets in my books.

Injuries and Hinderences kinda count to me. 

Improved infections and sprains have been implemented

But don't forget this roadmap was called aspirational, which means nothing was promised to us. They stuck to the plan pretty well though!

indeed, they did a phenomenal work. I dont understand the meaning about wellbeing lockets but I will state as implemented to some extend. I will place the improved sprains/infections as implemented as well.

NOTE: I cant seem to edit the thread anymore.

Edited by thekillergreece

11 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

Or looking down and seeing your avatar's body. Or being reflected in mirrors. I would say first-person presence has been vastly improved. It could further be improved as indicated, but I am not missing further first-person presence elements. There are other aspects I would prioritize higher (for example, animal AI). But well... different players will have different preferences. 

7 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Not sure about that. If I am not mistaken, the "locket" originally was intended to be a little case in which Will McKenzie carries around a photo (either of Astrid or of himself together with her). Playing Will, the player would have been able to open the locket and look at the photo to regain mental strength. Doing so would have made the photo fade away until it would be used up. I found that mechanic very intriguing, especially I presumed that it would be very stimulating emotionally and very immersive, especially if combined with fitting music and vocal cues. However, the mental strength was never introduced as a game mechanic (fifth "energy bar" (nest to warmth, calories, thirst and fatigue)). I can't recall having read Hinterland's real reason for this anywhere, but would presume that it would have been difficult to decide what should happen if the mental-strength-meter runs out.

My two cents for the term "locket" in this context.

On 14.6.2018 at 10:28 PM, thekillergreece said:

Mod support - MOST LIKELY IN THE WORKS. Has been talked several times by Raphael.

Last I heard, mod support would be considered after Wintermute has been completed, which could still take a long time.

But honestly, I'd be very surprised if TLD ever got proper mod support. I think it's much more likely that this will end up the same as Minecraft, where mod support has been promised over and over again, but nothing was ever delivered.

I'm pretty pragmatic about this whole issue. If you want to make or use mods, the tools are available right now. They may not be official, but they work, and they work well.

@StrangerFromTheInternet I would expect them to most likely implement vanilla modding in TLD. That could basically be an XML File where you can specify almost anything (environment, wildlife, items, etc.) and an engine to translate the XML content into your new game. If they are ever going to introduce modding then this is the most likely thing to happen.

Edited by TerribleSurvivor

i dont think it makes that much sense to give developers credit for implementing a majority of Things they said are going to be implemented.

for me it is just so frustrating to see that basically nothing from the hundrets of awesome suggestions and improvements from the wishlist have been implemented.
and even more frustrating how they dont seem to adress the Major issue of the much needed mod Support feature for the game so the Players themself can implement These Things.

Fact is that this game does not use nearly all of its potential. in the Long term mod Support will be the Thing that makes this game as good as it can be and will attract much more Players. in my opinion they should Focus on that issue instead of bringing minor changes to the game 2 times a year.

i was really looking Forward to the new update but i was already bored after the new map was explored. I think Fixing all These minor issues and implementing much needed and suggested items would make Players much more happy than just a new map.

my personal mod list already has about 50 minor/majory changes that will transform the currently almost boring survival aspects into a very interesting, more realistic and challenging survival challenge.

Edited by ben91

• 6 months later...

What happend to gunsmithing and ammunition crafting? That, bow-drills and missing a revolver is really holding back long term survival for me. But ammo crafting would be nice. Like for example refilling spent shells and making gunpower from urine or something. 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:08 PM, BlkPingu said:

What happend to gunsmithing and ammunition crafting? That, bow-drills and missing a revolver is really holding back long term survival for me

The list was labeled aspirational. So  it wasn't meant as a promise to the community. Somewhere down the road they either figured it wouldn't fit into the game or that it wasnt feasible to work on it. They did add a few things since then that weren't even on the roadmap. 

Id be interested in the bow drill, and a revamp to how fires operate as a whole.

1 hour ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Not really sure what they meant by "Non-map based" because what we got was a map that you have to fill up with charcoal. 

If you ask me non map based Navigation system has been part of TLD since I've been playing.

They actually Introduced the Charcoal mapping but even I wouldn't call that a navigation system per say. The game still, thankfully, rewards players for learning locations and positions of places in each region. After enough time you can through prior map knowledge traverse even Pleasant Valley, through thick fog or killer blizzard to a location of your choosing- if you are correct in your knowledge of where you are starting from.

Ah yes the road map with aspirational idea's, loved to get a view on it. Sadly a lot of people didn't knew that aspirational and promise aren't the same words.

Non-map based is as far as I understand it what we currently have as terrain parts that can be recognised (unique) combined with the map you draw with charcoal (as it's not pointing where you are).

Edited by Blinkin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

After enough time you can through prior map knowledge traverse even Pleasant Valley, through thick fog or killer blizzard to a location of your choosing- if you are correct in your knowledge of where you are starting from.

I have even heard of some that can do it walking backwards.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...