Starvation Exploit - It's still there, just different

nenquel

The changenotes of v.152 says: * Long-term Starvation now affects Fatigue. If you starve for too long, it becomes very difficult to avoid Exhaustion. The Fatigue increase due to Starvation is gradually reduced by not Starving. (Addresses the "Starvation Exploit")

This change is nice and good, but with enough food and water one can still exploit starvation. You even need less food than before v.152 (because you cannot get calorie deficit anymore).

How to do it:

As soon as you are starving you return to a warm inside area. You drink water to set Thrist to zero. You sleep 11 hours, which makes you lose approx 11% condition due to starvation (you don't sleep for 12 hours because you want to avoid the dehydrated status). You drink again, you sleep again, you keep doing this. You can starve for 4 days this way without dying. When you are down to approx 10% condition you eat up, drink up and sleep for 11+4 hours and you are back to 100% condition.

You can still go a long time with the starving status. I have no solution for this issue, I also do not know if this maybe intentional (humans should be able to survive quite some time without food), I only try to draw attention to this issue!

The devs tried to fix some kind of exploit that had to do with starvation, this still feels like an exploit to me. That's it.

You're right, you can still live for a few days while starving, but only if you sleep a lot and hardly do anything. Before it was possible to starve for 3-4 days as well, but you could actually do everything you could otherwise do. So instead of sleeping al the time, you could forage for wood or run around the map without it costing you anything. This is no longer possible, since you will get exhausted much sooner and you can't get your fatigue down if you've been starving for a while. So I think they solved this exploit quite nicely.

Yeah, this frugal approach could probably extend my life quite a bit, as I just died because of eating too much and too regularly. For over 100 days since day 22 I had a full belly pretty much 90% of the time and was sleeping 20-22 hours a day. I had 42 antibiotics on day 22, went through them not through infections, but through food poisoning (of which I had 22), as from day 60 I was eating only deer and wolves (always cooked and fresh though) so I would get them here and there. The description of the affliction suggests that it might be treated, pass on its own or kill you, but it didn't pass, instead I passed of poisoning in my sleep on day 131. With about 10 antiseptic bottles, 15 ammo and plenty of food left in the fridge. Lack of antibiotics is what did me in, more scary than wolves.

4adn40x.png

It's not an exploit or issue, imho. For me it's pretty realistic. If you take care your other three conditions, than I don't think you should die because of starvation after 3 days.

And I don't sleep 20-22/day. I'm playing the game. I don't care about the leaderboard nor a fancy "you survived for xy days" screenshot. I sleep 10-12 hours during the night time. If something is an exploit than sleeping for 22 hours/day are probably are.

And I don't sleep 20-22/day. I'm playing the game. I don't care about the leaderboard nor a fancy "you survived for xy days" screenshot. I sleep 10-12 hours during the night time. If something is an exploit than sleeping for 22 hours/day are probably are.

Oh, it sure is, I mean I'm not pretending I was still playing a game after day 22. Seeing as I collected everything from both maps and had it all at one location by week 4, there was not much need for leaving the house anymore. So i figured I'll see it through to the end to see what would kill me, resource wise, because it's interesting from a statistical point of view. I was pretty sure it would be infection from fighting wolves after I run out of both antiseptics and antibiotics. But in the end it's the food that killed me. Will try and leave out fancy screenshots for you ;)

Archived