What sort of shelter are you drawn to?

What sort of shelter are you drawn to?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Naturally, when traveling or when the weather turns bad, the old saying, "Any port in a storm," applies.  However, when given a choice, what kind of shelter are you drawn to?

1. The familiar surroundings of home.  All of those familiar objects that were once a visual staple of our lives, found in houses and cabins.

2.  Utilitarian.  Why travel to the workshop when you can live with it?  Must have a crafting table, smelter, and/or loads of resources.

3.  Out in the wild.  Who needs houses and workshops all the time?  Best to face this new wilderness head-on.  Caves are about as wild as one can go for shelter; but Firewatch towers, abandoned cars, hunting blinds, and wrecked boxcars also fit.

4.  Location, location, location.  Who cares what it is?  Just so long as I have easy access to the necessities of life.

*I know that the Camp Office and Trapper's Cabin in Mystery Lake could be considered either #1, #2, or #4; and the barn in Forlorn Muskeg could be #2 or #3.  At that point, which feature draws you to them?

For me, I tend to reject places that are frequented by wolves and/or bears. I just can't stand the hassle, especially if I'm going to call the place "home" - to me, home should be safe, first and foremost. Next most important is nearby access to food. Other than that, I'm not terribly fussy. I find that commuting to a workbench or forge when needed is more convenient than living with one all the time, if doing so is at the expense of security and food.

I like to have an indoor fireplace if possible, but it's not a deal-breaker. And I often reject a place if there is a dead guy living there already.

Yeah, safety is a great thing to have.  While I did alright at the Coastal Highway Quonset Hut, the frequent appearance of wolves made going outside a risky venture.  At least, by going out the upper level door of Hibernia, any wildlife won't bother me and I can hear them when they are near.  -I bagged my latest bear from there.

Now that I've crafted all of stuff I need from pelts and once I've made a good stockpile of arrows, having a workbench where I stay may not be as important. 

The Quonset Manager stays at Quonset garage. The only reason to go somewhere else is to completely strip a location of everything right down tot he curtains and then transport said material to the Quonset garage so I can put it up on the shelves so the customers can buy it. The fact no customers have shown up proves that I have not gotten enough stock for the shelves...

YET.

@TheEldritchGod, the fact nobody has made it to your shop proves the inferiority of rival businesses. The other shops cant even equip their customers well enough to make the journey to your fine counter. Its a shame.

Me? I take the mountaineers hut. Its nice and wild, and aside from the jole in the roof and airplane parts one could almost pretend nothing happened.

However wolves have seemed to be upped in numbersand aggression there which might make me move out.

11 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

The Quonset Manager stays at Quonset garage. The only reason to go somewhere else is to completely strip a location of everything right down tot he curtains and then transport said material to the Quonset garage so I can put it up on the shelves so the customers can buy it. The fact no customers have shown up proves that I have not gotten enough stock for the shelves...

YET.

Have you tried offering the customers free water?  Customers like free water.  You should give them some free water.

I'm partial to whichever place is the least hassle to play on a map. The locations I've spent the most time in have been the mountaineer's cabin, Quonset, Mystery Lake Camp Office, and Pleasant Valley Farmhouse. Normally because I enjoy wandering around the map and these locations are all fairly central when transitioning zones. Wolves aren't too bad for me since I haven't played Interloper or Stalker in a long time.

Pleasant valley farmhouse is probably my favourite place so far. It has that warm outside spot which I like to pass time in waiting for the weather to get better. Best of all you can see inside when it's dark which is pretty nice. Mystery lake is close to a forge but finding your way around indoors when it's night it a pain in the ass because it's completely black, at least for me.

13 hours ago, Doc Gonzo said:

Have you tried offering the customers free water?  Customers like free water.  You should give them some free water.

The water is always free at Quonset garage.

5b0e20033d817_SalesTacticsNeedImprovement.thumb.png.6adc68e3dd328e851f17a4c901a9161b.png

ALWAYS.

IF YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU.

Edit: Part of me is wondering if the wolves have been giving Quonset Garage bad Yelp reviews.

I don't think relatives of murdered wolves should be allowed to review a business on yelp.

Conflict of interests, in my opinion.

I'm on my third sandbox, and I have a base set up in the garage in coastal. I like it because it's roomy and has everything I need, but I get tired of shooting the doggies outside my door. I made a coat out of their friends hoping they'd just be scared of me, but it doesn't work. I'm thinking about finding a new house and just using the garage as a place to do my crafting. I also have some nice digs set up in Mystery Lake, but I have a lot of unfinished business  around coastal. 

8 hours ago, Barbed_Wire'99 said:

I'm on my third sandbox, and I have a base set up in the garage in coastal. I like it because it's roomy and has everything I need, but I get tired of shooting the doggies outside my door. I made a coat out of their friends hoping they'd just be scared of me, but it doesn't work. I'm thinking about finding a new house and just using the garage as a place to do my crafting. I also have some nice digs set up in Mystery Lake, but I have a lot of unfinished business  around coastal. 

Jackrabbit Island used to be the go to base for people that were spending time in CH.  Virtually wolf free, elevated position makes scouting for a departure from the island relatively easy and a nearby fishing hut for cooking, boiling water were the common reasons.  While I prefer ML to CH I almost always set up some sort of temporary base at Jackrabbit Island when I'm playing a long run. 

8 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

The water is always free at Quonset garage.

5b0e20033d817_SalesTacticsNeedImprovement.thumb.png.6adc68e3dd328e851f17a4c901a9161b.png

ALWAYS.

IF YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU.

Edit: Part of me is wondering if the wolves have been giving Quonset Garage bad Yelp reviews.

I don't think relatives of murdered wolves should be allowed to review a business on yelp.

Conflict of interests, in my opinion.

WATER IS GOOD FOR ME!  

Have you tried offering the wolves some free water?  I bet they'd give you better reviews if they had some free water. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, Pillock said:

home should be safe, first and foremost

A sense of security is the priority for me. Sometimes the best you can achieve is relative security and advanced warning of approaching dangers with a safe escape option. The CH map should be a comfortable area but IMO it somehow is not. I have survived there for extended periods in the comfort of the 'Fishing Camps' with an easy escape plan in all directions. It is hard to understand why a target-rich environment like CH makes me feel so uneasy and often wishing to escape.

To answer the OP I voted for the first option.  Nearly every new game I start I have the intention of making it a "long run".  The addition of custom games had me deleting a lot of runs that were in the 20/30 day mark so I could dial in the custom option. 

That said, once I'm "established" with basic needs taken care of I tend to find myself in Trappers or at Camp Office.  Camp office less so unfortunately after the update that strew trash all over the place but I'm still a fan of the location.  Both have an entry/exit free of predators and the interiors both have a decent amount of storage/crafting tables and a stove/oven.  

Because of Cabin Fewer I tend to stay in places with access to wood and a fishing hut, most favorable place is still Jackrabbit's, more precisely the hut down the hill. Pack some meat to increase the smell factor, draw your bow and welcome the home-delivery service for bear- and wolf meat to the front of the fishing hut ;)

I've been living in caves a LOT on my current run. I started out in DP but was only really there long enough to get enough metal and coal to make a bunch of arrowheads. I stayed in the fishing camp in CH for a very extended time; the outdoor craft table there is gold, gold I tell you, for getting your stuff together and avoiding cabin fever. Eventually I got bored and decided to summit TWM. I ended up staying on TWM until I had completely stripped it of birch and maple saplings and needed to move on because I was running low on arrows. I spent the bulk of my time there in the cabin, but it's almost like living in a cave... and I also spent quite a bit of time at the deer clearing cave and the water fall cave, like weeks. If I go back, all of the above locations will have enough food, water, and wood for me to survive there without lifting a finger. Currently, I'm camped out in the Forest Cave in PV. I have a lot of stuff in the cave near Three Strikes Farmstead too, but right now the Forest Cave is definitely home base. I like it because there's lots of wood about, keeping the area clear of wolves requires little effort, there's good hunting and fishing, and the crafting table at the Radio Tower or the one in the Farmhouse are both an hour or so away; just need to rumble on over with my materials, tools, and enough food and water and I'm laughing.

I'm nearly four hundred days in on this one, and pretty soon I'm going to have to move on to either find more hatchets or get myself to a forge to make some. Probably find, so far I've not touched BR, FM, ML, Ravine, Winding River, or MT in any way, so there should be reasonable amounts of loot to be had; while I imagine most of the clothes and food have completely decayed away to ruination the tools should all be fine, and food is just an arrow or three away. I'd estimate I've spent at least a third of that time living in caves. Caves are often underrated as places to live; if you have the gear, they are often better situated wrt resources and hazards than most of the buildings.

14 hours ago, Doc Gonzo said:

WATER IS GOOD FOR ME!  

Have you tried offering the wolves some free water?  I bet they'd give you better reviews if they had some free water. 

No. But I keep giving them free arrows. They seem to enjoy the free arrows. You'd think they'd stop trying to catch them with their faces, but occasionally one just catches it in the spine or something then they run off to tell all the other wolves about the free arrows.

My arrows bring all the wolves to the yard.

Has anyone tried living in one of the abandoned cars?  I figure one great advantage is being able to see what's around before going outside.  Naturally, you'd need plenty of warm clothes, since you can't make a fire in there. 

Eventually, though, you may have to ask yourself, "What'cha gonna do with all that junk?  All that junk inside your trunk?"

12 hours ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

Has anyone tried living in one of the abandoned cars?  I figure one great advantage is being able to see what's around before going outside.  Naturally, you'd need plenty of warm clothes, since you can't make a fire in there. 

You can't make a fire inside a car, but at least some versions back you could drop burning torches on the floor inside (most likely also flares, maybe you can place down a lantern as well). See if it still works and drop a couple, then check the inside temperature and think how you might use this "mechanic" in your favour. And - you can make a fire next to a car, and it will increase the temperature inside as if you were sitting next to the fire. Again, I haven't checked whether this still works in the current version, but would expect it to be so. The fire outside can be blown out by a blizzard, but you can start a new one on the side of the car which is protected from the wind. That saved my life in several runs back in the time when blizzards were still a threat.

Also good to know: A car is a bed, meaning that you don't need a sleeping bag to sleep inside. So the truck inside the red barn in PV is as good as a bed, making the barn a potential permanent base. This is interesting mainly for Interloper as long as you are without a bedroll.

Long story short: You can live in a car, but at least on Interloper you will need to sleep in short intervals to avoid freezing (exception: the Truck in the red barn). Which will make you lose a lot of potential healing and will make things substantially more difficult. The upside of seeing the surroundings is a non-issue for me, since I have never been jumped by a wolf when exiting a building. Crouch end exit, then listen before moving about.

Oh, and on topic: Jackrabbit has always been my preferred base. The view is just great, the interior is cozy, you can step out on the veranda to take a relaxed look around without anything being able to attack you. Fishing, hunting and wood gathering opprtunities nearby. Every couple of days a shopping/crafting trip to the Fishing Camp, the Log Sort and Quonset Station. Home, sweet home.

On 5/30/2018 at 2:44 PM, stratvox said:

I've been living in caves a LOT on my current run. I started out in DP but was only really there long enough to get enough metal and coal to make a bunch of arrowheads. I stayed in the fishing camp in CH for a very extended time; the outdoor craft table there is gold, gold I tell you, for getting your stuff together and avoiding cabin fever. Eventually I got bored and decided to summit TWM. I ended up staying on TWM until I had completely stripped it of birch and maple saplings and needed to move on because I was running low on arrows. I spent the bulk of my time there in the cabin, but it's almost like living in a cave... and I also spent quite a bit of time at the deer clearing cave and the water fall cave, like weeks. If I go back, all of the above locations will have enough food, water, and wood for me to survive there without lifting a finger. Currently, I'm camped out in the Forest Cave in PV. I have a lot of stuff in the cave near Three Strikes Farmstead too, but right now the Forest Cave is definitely home base. I like it because there's lots of wood about, keeping the area clear of wolves requires little effort, there's good hunting and fishing, and the crafting table at the Radio Tower or the one in the Farmhouse are both an hour or so away; just need to rumble on over with my materials, tools, and enough food and water and I'm laughing.

I'm nearly four hundred days in on this one, and pretty soon I'm going to have to move on to either find more hatchets or get myself to a forge to make some. Probably find, so far I've not touched BR, FM, ML, Ravine, Winding River, or MT in any way, so there should be reasonable amounts of loot to be had; while I imagine most of the clothes and food have completely decayed away to ruination the tools should all be fine, and food is just an arrow or three away. I'd estimate I've spent at least a third of that time living in caves. Caves are often underrated as places to live; if you have the gear, they are often better situated wrt resources and hazards than most of the buildings.

I've done something similar, in fact I still have the save, where I lived exclusively in the cave in the ravine (the one near the ML side of the zone).  I agree it's a VERY fun experience and unique in a way.  

For me, it's anywhere with a spot for an outdoor fire that won't blow out (often).  I do all my cooking and water boiling outside, and it's enough that I never have to worry about cabin fever.  Besides I love being outside with the weather, stars and Aurorae when I'm warm and dry.

Open caves, fishing huts and out buildings all work well for outdoor fires.  Also a few places where the terrain gives the wind limited angles to reach the fire... behind the Camp Office, on the cliff behind Jackrabbit's, a notch in the cliff behind Rabbit Grove, the wheelhouse of the Riken ,etc.

Beyond that my key criteria are no close wolves, nearby food, and nearby sticks/coal.  Mountaineer's hut is my favorite; #2 is the Riken.  TWM has more "stuff", both man-made and natural, but DP makes up for it with good beach combing.

5 minutes ago, Doc Gonzo said:

I've done something similar, in fact I still have the save, where I lived exclusively in the cave in the ravine (the one near the ML side of the zone).  I agree it's a VERY fun experience and unique in a way.

I love that spot, it's about as homey as the wilderness gets in TLD. 

6 hours ago, Doc Gonzo said:

I have spent a significant amount of time in that cave, albeit on a different run. It's where I earned the Deep Woods achievement.

6 hours ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

Thank's for the info Hotzn.  I'll have to try it out, sometime.

Off topic:  If you store a bunch of cooked meat in an outdoor container, will it give off a scent that attracts predators?  

No it does not; in fact, you don't even need a container. Actually I think it's a problem; it'd be great if one could find a movable cooler that one could take to such a place, and put food in it, with the caveat that wolves will start congregating near uncovered outdoor food, while food in a container will not draw them into the area. Should be a simple mechanic; just up the chance of wolf spawn in the nearest wolf spawn area as the amount of food stored outdoors goes up, or even just let them detect it.

I suspect the lack of movable containers in the game is why this mechanic does not exist.

Archived