Minor but regular stutters/lags

Hi!

I have this minor performance issue: When I walk through the land, roughly every 5 - 10 seconds or so, there is a short, ca. quarter of a second stutter/jerk/lag. It appears to me like a short I/O lag in otherwise very smooth movement and overall graphics performance. It also appears to happen more often when snowing or inside buildings when turning around fast.

My system should be able to handle the game well: Core i5 3450, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1050 4GB, SSD, 1920x1200, High Graphics settings.

I have hoped that this would be fixed by patching, but it still persists after several patches have been published.

Any ideas what it could be? Is anyoneelse expriencing this?

Thanks!

Thanks for your post, StandardFare. We're always looking to investigate how we can improve the game's performance. Can you tell us if you notice significant frame-rate drops when turning or in snowy weather? 

Do you still noticed these stutters if you lower your Quality settings?

I had the same problem (4770k, 16GB, GTX1070, SSD, 2560x1440, highest graphics). I can't recall exactly what solved it (a driver update?) but I think it was messing around in the NVIDIA control panel. I set anisotropic filtering to 16x manually, as well as turning "off" anisotropic filtering optimization, texture filtering "allow negative LOD bias" to "off", texture filtering to "high quality" and "texture filtering - trilinear optimization" to "on". This seems to have solved the issue. Or yes, a driver update; I'm using 388.13.

@Support, I have tried setting the Quality from "Ultra" to "High" and now the described "micro stutter" is only very rare, by far not as regular as with "ultra". Is my CPU too weak for "Ultra"? @Carbon, Thanks, I tried your suggestions of manual Geforce-Settings for TLD, but they reduced the overall performance, so I reverted back to defaults.

Thanks for your response, StandardFare. System performance is a complex topic with a lot of variables, and even a system that meets the recommended specifications may not have perfect performance if all the visual settings are cranked up. Dropping the quality level is a good first step on any system to help a game to run smoothly if you are seeing lag or hitching.

If you want to get the most out of your setup, there are a wide variety of tweaks you can do on your side -- Carbon suggested some, and we also have some basic advice in our Technical FAQ post. 

However we are also working to improve how our game manages resources on our side -- not only because we want The Long Dark to run smoothly, but so we can make the game bigger and more beautiful in the future. :)

• 1 year later...