More challenges!

omoon66

Title’s pretty self-explanatory, but more challenges would be nice. I know the devs are working on story and sandbox right now, but hey, those little challenges were fun! I completed all except nomad, never had the patience for that one. I’m sure Hinterland has some ideas for challenges, but what do you guys think? Do you have any ideas for challenges?

Challenges add something good and I'm with you in the spirit of that. A challenge must take significant dev work and the investment is questionable when, as you note, not all players will like all challenges. So I wonder: would you rather Devs spent time on more challenges or more world?

I really like that the community has shared, via annotated maps and journal/log book screen shots, their own achievements. It the interface provides a means to document your own progress - i.e. at this location at this point in time - then the community can establish their own challenges - which I like. You see people doing 'camp in every cave' or 'climb this peak'. So anything that supports that would get my up vote. But IMHO I'd prefer the devs put efforts into more caves and peaks.

3 hours ago, Stone said:

So I wonder: would you rather Devs spent time on more challenges or more world?

Yes, I agree, that probably everything else is more important than challenges. And I am very happy to see that the devs are working on a new survival mode update, and I’m super exited for that. While I’m not sure what they’re plans are after that, I think it would be cool to see more challenges a few months after the new survival update. Again, they can do what they want, and I’m sure they have the community’s best interests, but at some point more challenges would be nice. Hint hint, Hunted Part 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree wholeheartedly ! Some ideas here for devs :

1) You spawn in desolation point. The world has low resources, you start with low equipment, and difficult weather.
You're waiting for a radio message in hope to be rescued. Your goal is to reach signal hill in PV, and wait for an aurora. When that happens (after a 10-20 days waiting, so you have to sustain yourself and gather/use resources), you receive a radio message, telling that a rescue team will be coming. The place is random (milton, lonely lighthouse, jackrabbit's island, riken, etc), and a random time interval when a rescue team will be there. So you first choose if you take your chance and try. If you do, you have to reach the destination and be there at the time interval, which ends the challenge. If you choose not to try, or if you missed, you can go back to signal hill and wait for another opportunity.

2) Another idea would be the same as desperate rescue, except that :
- remove the 7 days deadline ;
- there are several flare guns (2 to 4 ?), dispatched randomly on the world map (inside buildings). Same for ammunition.
That would make us wander a lot, searching for one goddamn flare gun and at least 1 ammunition, then getting to the lonely lighthouse to fire it. This challenge would be between hopeless rescue and nomad, and fill in the gaps of nomad's scenario : why do we wander aimlessly, sleeping from place to place ? That makes no sense. This challenge would give us a real reason to travel accross the maps.

Well, in fact I'd like challenges that let us take our time, and slowly complete it. I don't like when there is a chrono running out.

@StrayCat, great idea with the radio, it should take place two weeks after hopeless rescue, when no Mainlanders arrived and you ran out of flares, you start with an empty flare gun as a prize for completing the first.

Maybe you have to read a skill book on radio repair and grab a component from a relay tower, or perform maintenance on all the towers with scrap and tools. Then after repair you must wait for an aurora at the pleasent valley station to get a timed objective to a rescue location, but when you get there, your rescue ends up being destroyed, thus opening up to hopeless rescue #3 (destroyed sailboat? Trappers cabin survivor mauled by a bear? Lol)

Currently I entertain myself with a hopeless rescue scenario by starting in broken railroad instead. (But I cannot spawn right next to the exit tunnel.) On stalker I made it in a little less than 5 days surval time so it is possible to do in less than an week. The new journal is a little confusing though since 5 days of survival is usually listed as day 6 or 7 since even if you spawn just before midnight the journal still counts that as a "day"  so i just look at the stats, add hours asleep and hours awake, and divide by 24. I've noticed the game stops telling you how long you've survived upon waking up. Or maybe it only does it if you sleep more than x amount of hours straight.

Archived