Rock cairns, can we have the option to disable them ?

Nyarlathotep

Personally I find the rock cairns scattered throughout the beautiful landscape an absolute eyesore, undoing much of the incredible work that the art team has put into this game, and I would strongly welcome a toggle option to remove them.

I can appreciate they are there as a token gesture for backers who helped get the game on its feet, and for that I have nothing but pure gratitude towards them for believing in Hinterland's vision at such an early stage. There are many of them that haven't even got anything on them, to the effect of 'story is not yet written' anyway.

When hiking in R/L, I have always frowned upon situations where someone who passed by prior to me just couldn't help themselves in overcoming a selfish urge to pile up rock cairns along walking tracks. If I want to see rocks piled up on top of each other, I can walk through the city, Its not what I go out hiking to see...

I can appreciate that not everyone will feel the same way I do, therefore I believe a toggle option would be nice, This way players have the ability to opt into a 'less cluttered' landscape.

• 3 weeks later...

I particularly enjoy finding cairns irl, it shows someone was connected to the area and left a small part of themselves there. Now, it is a bit silly when you see a bunch in one tiny area, but at least it shows those people want to leave a part of themselves out of the city.

Its better than graffiti or rock carvings of your name in a cave, however, those could be realistic alternatives to cairns in game too so that the same cairn model isnt used way too many times. That might help lower the "clutter" and sheer density of cairns we see right now.

The way I see things is that if one person can do something, what makes that person so special in their thinking that every other person that passes by cant do the exact same thing. 

Any person on this earth is welcome to walk down a path that 10 thousand feet have trudged along, sweating it through sun and snow. To be allowed to bask in the raw beauty that nature has cascaded upon the land over millions of years is a small ask.

But to trudge down that same path, where each and every owner of those 10 thousand feet have built a pile of rocks purely for themselves is nothing but a fetid blight on this experience, in a word, its selfish plain and simple. We have a responsibility to leave things so that the next person may relish the moment in the exact same way that the person before us was lucky enough to, just because they came after us doesn't mean they deserve less than that.

Rest assured that if I walk down any path in front of you, you can be guaranteed that it is my utmost desire to allow you to experience it exactly the same way that the person prior to me experienced it, and I really don't think that its too much to ask of any considerate person that walks in front of me. 

'Leave no trace'

5 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

can i ask why so many of them are blank? most of them i come across say "its story is not yet written..."

what purpose can these possibly serve?

Many of the backers we reached out to didn't submit any text, but we still wanted to honor their support with their backer #, which makes each one unique, actually. But we understand the observation that some more variety in the Lost Cairns could be interesting. It's an observation noted by a number of players. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Because many of the backers we reached out to didn't submit any text, but we still wanted to honor their support with their backer #, which makes each one unique, actually. But we understand the observation that some more variety in the Lost Cairns could be interesting. It's an observation noted by a number of players. Thanks!

oooooh okay! good to know, i guess if i had paid closer attention i would have seen that myself. that wasnt a comment on cairns overall though, i really like the cairns. its really cool that hinterland includes them as a way to show the backers. they can be slightly immersion breaking, but i mean, its a videogame. a lot of people tend to forget that, it seems. anyway, thank you for the quick reply to my question, patrick! :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 11:40 PM, Fuarian said:

Maybe have them in certain places, like as trail markers or something. To mark a special location. But not out in the woods randomly.

Same here.

On 5/20/2018 at 12:01 AM, Nyarlathotep said:

But to trudge down that same path, where each and every owner of those 10 thousand feet have built a pile of rocks purely for themselves is nothing but a fetid blight on this experience, in a word, its selfish plain and simple. We have a responsibility to leave things so that the next person may relish the moment in the exact same way that the person before us was lucky enough to, just because they came after us doesn't mean they deserve less than that.

I think the problem your evoking here not to do with cairns but with clusters of cairns because in my mind a little cairn here and there along the track or even of it to indicate something interesting is good.

Archived