brad_gagne

There's nothing more disheartening than being on a good run and going to sleep, only to see your condition take a drastic nosedive right after you've committed to sleeping for 8 hrs.

This happened recently; my condition was ~30%, I had just bandaged a wound, and had no antiseptic... so I thought "no big deal, let's just sleep, wait for the infection to set in, and then I've got antibiotics to deal with that."

Just before sleeping I checked my stats, drank some water, and ate a venison steak to bump my calories up. Little did I realize, I had somehow also contracted food poisoning from said venison, and there was no indication because I already had the "red medical bag" showing because of my lack of antiseptic. So I start sleeping and almost immediately hear that tell-tale "thump-thump" of my heartbeat telling me I've made a huge, game-ending mis-step.

In situations like this it would be great if there were some option to "abort"... or alternatively to automatically wake from sleep if your condition hits 5%, just so you've got one opportunity to try and salvage your game.

Actually, there is another indication in addition to the red medical bag. Text is shown at the bottom of the screen, saying you've contracted food poisoning, but it won't last long. In a situation like you're describing, it would be a good idea to wait a few seconds after eating, making sure there's no food poisoning, and only then go to sleep.

There's nothing more disheartening than being on a good run and going to sleep, only to see your condition take a drastic nosedive right after you've committed to sleeping for 8 hrs.

This applies to foraging too - I rarely go foraging for too long, knowing that weather can change drastically the longer I am out there automated. Usually I'd just bring 12 firs to base every few days which takes two hours with a hatchet. But even the two hours can sometimes have you come down from 100% to risky condition because of the temperature dropping and freezing. There should be an automatic interruption when condition goes down to dangerous levels or even better - when the pace at which it's falling is dangerous (while you can be still fairly high on %). With sleep it might be a bit harder, maybe a 50% chance of waking up before it's too late, as you can die in your sleep without noticing anything. While you're out there foraging for wood though, fully awake, drop it if it becomes dangerous and interrupt the process.

Archived